1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Nintendo Switch" News and Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Mar 17, 2015.

1. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

I've ordered a Nintendo Switch and should get it next Wednesday, already got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, a SDXC card and a Pro controller.

My older brother has one, we played Mario Kart on the Switch while we were on the train going to the Gumball screening in London a few weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Nice man! That sounds great. I'm glad you'll be getting one soon and with the recent Arms Direct + Splatoon 2 trailer as well as E3 2017, there's plenty to enjoy on the Nintendo Switch. I hope you enjoy it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. RegularCapital

Thanks :) I've seen the previews of ARMS and Splatoon 2 and they look great and a lot of fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RegularCapital

I've received my Nintendo Switch yesterday, three days earlier than expected. Zelda is fantastic. The device is remarkably easy to use.

5. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Leaked art from the Mario/Rabbids crossover game that has been rumored for months now. Expect it to be previewed officially at E3.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Uh yeah that is a crossover alright, I wonder what made the idea for it :sweat:.

7. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Yeah, well even if it is an actual game, I just don't know if Ubisoft is a company I can support, with their questionable DRM practices, etc.. I say this, because they will no doubt get some of the money from this game...

8. MDawg

There is a Pokemon-related Direct coming tomorrow at 10AM ET/7AM PT. If there was likely a time for there to be a Pokemon game for the Switch announced, this is likely it.

9. MDawg

Pokemon Direct is on!

First game announced is Pokken Tournament DX for Nintendo Switch out on September 22 of this year.

• Like Like x 1
    #289 MDawg, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  10. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Nice! I was hoping for this since I think Pokken Tournament could get a lot more attention on Switch and the Wii U version was missing characters.

I know a lot of people are disappointed about the lack of a main series game on the Switch, but I wouldn't want it to be an enhanced port but rather a brand-new title. The first main series Pokemon game on a home console? Why not release a totally new game?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A Pokken Tournament Switch version does make a lot of sense. I don't think that they included new characters from the Arcade game in the Wii U version, so they could potentially do that with the Switch version. Decidueye also is a good choice to be include out of the new starters. Incineroar could have worked too, but that would have felt too predictable given how it looks like a wrestler. While I'm glad that I don't have to get a Switch for a main series game, having Pokken Tournament available on the system is pretty neat and something else I could play whenever I get a Switch.

I'm still relieved that Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon aren't for the Switch. It would just be such a hassle to get a Switch by November. I am a bit worried though since Serebii did mention that a press release from TPCI said that the games were going to be on the Switch for a "to be announced date". It has been deleted, but I hope that doesn't mean that they'll have versions for the 3DS and the Switch. That wouldn't really make much sense. Why bother including 3DS versions if you're going to release them on the Switch later on? More importantly, why wouldn't you mention the Switch release when you first announce the games? Main series Pokemon games on the Switch would be kind of a big deal and would get more people excited. I'm just hoping that was a mistake or something since having four versions of what will probably be the same game sounds like overkill to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

The Pokemon Company confirmed that the Switch date was an error. Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are supposed to be 3DS exclusive.

I hope people can understand why this isn't coming to the Switch. So many people are vilifying the 3DS this year even though they were fine with it last year because of the Switch.

This announcement is just like Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 on the DS. I'm just glad I can still play new games on my 3DS whether I have a Switch or not (which I don't at the moment).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

My 3DS is all most broken and I don't want to justify buying a new one if Nintendo is only going to release one new game this year. Is that so wrong?

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's a huge relief. I had a feeling that it was just a mistake on their part, especially when being available on the Switch is something they would have brought up during the trailer, but clarification is always good.

I've seen a lot of people upset over not getting D/P remakes along with not being on the Switch. It does remind me a lot of what happened with B2/W2. People were upset over not getting R/S remakes back then and a ton of people thought that they would be on the then new 3DS system. When it didn't happen, people were quite upset. There are people worried/upset over these being more like traditional third version games, which I can understand. They do sound more like duel third version games than sequels, but I just hope that they provide more content to make them feel like their own games instead of just being updated versions of Sun/Moon.

The chances of the games being on the Switch were there, but I don't think that high. It's just too early for the main series to be on the Switch. I like playing with my New 3DS, so I'm glad that they're giving it a bit more support for awhile longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I would've been intrigued by a mainline Pokemon game on Switch, but in hindsight facts are facts. Nintendo said they were supporting 3DS / 2DS with software through this year and the next, the 2DS XL announcement backed that up, and the fact is that the install base for that is gigantic while the Switch is in year one and a kind of soft launch period (case in point: the full paid online service being pushed to 2018).

There's also the fact Pokemon is probably the #1 thing Nintendo can sell to kids, and so giving them the means to play it on a $99 device they can take to school is probably a good idea. The baseline Switch is $300, and who was playing it in all the ads? Not kids! Super attractive millenial-and-younger people.

Of course, Switch is on the way in and it's clear that this is where the majority of the effort is going now (we've already established Fire Emblem is done there as of now, and over the next 12 months it won't be alone). Still, if there is to be a "real" Pokemon game on Switch, then better to make it the clean break and new thing the occasion warrants. Switch is already full enough with upgraded Wii U games in its first year, it doesn't need the 3DS' leftovers. And since Sun & Moon already have investment from the 3DS player base, there probably isn't and wasn't much sense in alienating them with a "better" version on a system they maybe can't even find ATM, let alone afford.

In short, Pokemon Switch is surely inevitable. But 2017 wasn't the good time for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MDawg

At Bethesda's E3 presentation last night they made the Switch edition of Skyrim official with a release this holiday season. The game will include motion controls along with amiibo support as shown in the trailer.

At the Microsoft presentation yesterday, it was announced that Minecraft will be able to be crossplayed between multiple editions, including the Switch.

17. MDawg

• Like Like x 1
    #297 MDawg, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  18. Action!

Action! Active Member

This is going to one of the funniest games of the year.

19. MDawg

• Like Like x 1
  20. MDawg

Nintendo's E3 presentation is in less than an hour, so expect some news quite soon. Make sure to keep an eye on Nintendo's official E3 page for all the information in one place.

• Like Like x 1