1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Nintendo Switch" News and Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Mar 17, 2015.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

FWIW, I flubbed the application of my screen protector so I've been using my Switch for a week without one. No scratches yet. That said, any devices of this kind really should have one and I'll get on giving it another go. No matter how careful you are, something will happen eventually. There are cosmetic reasons too, such as forestalling fingerprint smudges. This is simply part of owning a mobile device, no more or less than that.

I've heard tell of the sync problems and this worried me the most, but no problems on that either. Dead Pixels, I don't know...if I have them, I can't notice.

In any event, Switch actually seems to be off to a strong start in terms of sales, whether you're looking at Europe or Japan or the North American region. Honestly this is basically a soft launch considering the features that are still to come, but that doesn't seem to have stopped people within or without the spectrum of hardcore Nintendo fans.

• Like Like x 1
    #261 GWOtaku, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

That's funny. I also wondered if this might be a "soft" launch as well. It wouldn't be the first time this happened, either. When the NES launched in 1985, it was (according to one of the promotional things recovered by the Video Game History Foundation on the NES launch) only available in "a test market limited to New York", before going national in 1986.

Still, we'll all have to wait see. Personally, I would like to see them add the ability to transfer saved game files to the MicroSD(?) card, at least.

(3-12-17; 2:14 PM EDT)

A website called "Rash Bandicoot" claims (repeat: CLAIMS) that the Switch has already been hacked. However, as the article points out, other than a single screenshot, there is no real proof that it's actually happened. In other words, the user that posted the screenshot could just be trolling. OTOH, one thing is certain. If there is a web browser, it likely wasn't made available right away for this very reason.

On a related note, now I'm really wondering if this new system was launched earlier than Nintendo really would have liked...

#262 Mandouga, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  3. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

A new Nintendo Direct is coming this Wednesday. The focus will be on the upcoming Splatoon 2 and ARMS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Mandouga

Just saying, but I hope the sequel has real DLC* this time (assuming it will have DLC), and not stuff that's already in the game.

*As in DLC that's actually done separately from the main game. I'm sorry, everyone, but even if it is free, in-game DLC is still in-game DLC (and having the main game "rotate" between each of the maps, and presenting the additional clothing randomly doesn't [really] help). I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's the principle of it. At least, that's my understanding (that the game has in-game DLC, I mean).

5. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

The lack of Directs lately has been painful. Good to see we're getting more news on Splatoon 2 and ARMS.

6. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Eh... I'd prefer to wait and see after Nintendo is finished updating the game post-launch, if DLC is needed or not. I'm almost sure it won't be paid since Nintendo doesn't want some people to not enjoy a weapon or stage because they didn't buy it.
    I've heard people say this a lot, but we just got the Fire Emblem Direct in January. Even you mean a more inclusive Direct, the Nintendo 3DS Direct last September covered a variety of games.

At the very least, I can understand Nintendo's reason not to have an "all systems" Direct since March last year since they've been transitioning from Wii U to Switch. If you're talking about that, I get it. It has been over a year. I'm just saying it's not like we haven't gotten any Directs since. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MDawg

An early leak today confirmed that there will be a Mario Kart 8 Switch bundle. Both neon and black Joy-Con versions. US release will probably be announced in the Nintendo Direct later today.

8. MDawg

Putting a link here early in case you want to watch the Direct live or later on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I thought this was a pretty solid Nintendo Direct. They did seem to blaze through the 3DS and Switch games a little too quickly for my tastes. At least taking the time to explain Hey! Pikmin and Ever Oasis or the decision to make alternative Smash Bros amiibo for Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta would've been nice.

That being said... they gave us the official title for Pikmin 3DS, more footage, a release date and even a new amiibo! It's looking pretty good to me. As for Ever Oasis, the story sounds really good, but the gameplay didn't really grab my interest when it was announced and still doesn't at the moment. I could change my mind though.

One of my favorite parts about this Direct was Monster Hunter Stories being confirmed for release in other regions! After the lower sales in Japan, I wasn't sure it would come anywhere else but it is, which is so amazing. :D I also loved that Kirby's 25th anniversary was mentioned with, as I expected, new 3DS titles instead of Switch games. HAL Laboratory, developers of Kirby games, did the same thing with Kirby Mass Attack in 2011, the same year the 3DS launched. I'm glad Team Kirby Clash Deluxe is already available, similar to Bye-Bye BoxBoy!.

The Smash Bros amiibo was such a big announcement and yet I don't think many people were that hyped. I guess the long wait drained a lot of the excitement for people, but the fact that were getting alternate costume/variant amiibo for Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta is fantastic. Nintendo didn't even tie in the release with the announcement of a Smash Bros Wii U port to the Nintendo Switch!

The Arms information was pretty informative and the internet seems to already have taken a liking to MinMin. Splatoon 2's information was solid, but I expected more details about other aspects of the game like single player or weapons. I guess they wanted to show off the new mode to confirm the game is more different to Splatoon than some people expect. The release dates certainly imply we will find out more at E3 this year.

I am expecting E3 to focus on games like Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Super Mario Odyssey, games we didn't see here, alongside newly announced titles. With Arms launching on June 16th (instead of late May like I expected) and Splatoon 2 launching on July 21st (instead of late June like I expected), there will be time to explain the latter more and give the former one last marketing push. I kind of wish Splatoon 2 was coming out a bit earlier to capitalize on the whole summer the way Splatoon did, but I don't want it to be rushed out either.

As for any other games, I like that this Direct actually had some new information/footage on Sonic Forces and didn't just rehash older information/footage. Those kind of exclusives are really great. The Fire Emblem Echoes DLC will be interesting, though I'd prefer to focus on the free content. I've been spending enough as is.

I'm really glad the 3DS was covered so well in this Direct. Besides games like Lady Layton or Great Detective Pikachu, many titles were covered. The Switch games weren't as interesting because a lot of the big titles weren't there (as expected), but there was still a lot of good stuff. After Mario Sports Superstars came out, the only big 3DS game coming up with a release date was Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia so this update was definitely needed. I'm excited for what's coming up!

10. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Those amiibo in the direct? Twilight Princess Link is already sold out on Gamestop.com but if you hurry you still might be able to get some of the others. :mad: Cloud was still up when I looked but that was hours ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Nice Direct. I hope Splatoon 2 and ARMS become huge successes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Another thing that has to be mentioned: while the titles aren't major ones that people are hoping for, they, on the other hand, are titles that could showcase the uniqueness of the Switch (in particular, Monopoly and Namco Museum).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mandouga

Unfortunately, this Namco Museum (besides having the same games all over again) may get an "M" rating because of the only new title on this collection, Splatterhouse (the first arcade game...from Namco, anyway, to carry a parental advisory warning)... :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

More than likely, it will get a T rating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Minmin from ARMS reminds me of Dragon Kid from Tiger and Bunny.

16. Mandouga

I made a slight mistake in my earlier post. The new Namco Museum collection has one other new addition: Tank Force (the sequel to Tank Batallion from 1980).

Also, TnAdct1, I don't know if we're talking about the same game, but it's called "Splatter"house for a reason (I'm even told that the life meter consists of actual, human hearts [as opposed to the traditional heart shapes]). We're talking about one of the earliest horror-based games (that isn't survival horror, but horror, nonetheless). Okay, so I haven't exactly played the game, and I don't intend to because of everything I just said. Out of total curiosity, what makes you think this collection will get a "T" rating? Are you trying to imply that Splatterhouse isn't as "bad" as it (intentionally) makes itself out to be?

Incidentally, I've heard a claim that the attract mode has a parental advisory screen, but that's unconfirmed as far as I know.

17. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

The two reasons why I'm saying this:

1. This fact sheet suggests that the anticipated rating for the game is going to be T.

2. The PC Engine version was released on the Virtual Console, with the game receiving a T rating (although some elements were changed from the arcade version to the home version).

18. Mandouga

I hate to break this to you, but that site doesn't allow hotlinking. I got a 1011 ("access denied") error. I had to look it up on Google. Ok, so it says "anticipated" rating. That doesn't mean that that's the rating it will actually get.

Also, I've learned that there are 10 games in all. The other nine games are:

Pac-Man
    Galaga
    Galaga '88
    Tank Force (which I also mentioned in my previous post)
    Rolling Thunder
    Rolling Thunder 2
    The Tower of Druaga
    Skykid
    Dig Dug

This of course means that Galaxian is not includes (or maybe it's a hidden game?) Still, if this collection does get a T rating (which I don't really think is fair; Splatterhouse is just one game either way, but anyway), I might (repeat: "might") consider picking it up.

19. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

Wow, the Switch is just a huge success for Nintendo:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MDawg

There is a new Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 6PM ET3PM PT all about ARMS along with a new Splatoon 2 trailer.

• Like Like x 1