The new voice of Garfield the cat is... (drum roll)

Discussion in 'The Termite Terrace Trading Post' started by Brandon Pierce, May 28, 2003.

1. Brandon Pierce

Brandon Pierce Summer Glau Fanatic

Bill Murray. Someone at The Entertainment Board confirmed it.
    Hmmmm.... I just don't see Bill Murray voicing Garfield. Maybe if he used a deep enough voice....

I still want to know who the guy was that voiced Garfield in that LitterMaid commercial. It certainly wasn't Bill Murray. At least it didn't sound like it.

2. Corrado

Corrado ...

From what I've read about Garfield's plot, I hope the film is a flop. I don't think anyone can top Lorenzo Music.

This is kinda off-topic, but I think as much as I like Bill Murray, he was one of the worst Update anchors.

3. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

This movie sounds really bad... First of all, only Garfield will be animated. Odie will be a real dog, with computer-animated lips for when he is talking.

4. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

Wait a second... Odie *talks*?

-Jon

5. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

Well, yes, according to workers on the movie. None of the animal's lips should move at all, but Odie shouldn't be talking period.

6. Pietro

Pietro Member

Bill Murray's great, but I just don't think he'll work for Garfield as well as Music did.

And a live-action dog doing a talking Odie.....it's something nobody should be too thrilled about. :eek:

Looks like yet another Hollywood disaster:p

-Pietro:D

7. Thad Komorowski

Thad Komorowski undecided

Aren't most recent/upcoming movies Hollywood disasters any way?

8. rmarti3926

rmarti3926 Enforcing galatic law

Isn't it ironic? Here's another character played by Murray and Lorenzo Music (Peter Vakman's the first.)

9. Matthew Hunter

Matthew Hunter Super Genius

Yeah, this looks like trouble waiting to happen. Garfield doesn't talk at all in the comic strip, he thinks and Jon understands him through his face. Look at any of the dozens of book compilations of Garfield strips at the book store...especially the early ones. Jon and the other human characters are the only ones who actually talk. I think this whole movie idea would have worked a lot better in animation, like the tv show and holiday specials.

And don't get me started on how the strip itself has gone to Hell in a bucket. Where the heck did the supporting character cast go?! and do Jon and Garfield ever leave the house anymore?!

-Matthew

10. absolutpaul

absolutpaul New Member

I agree. I love Garfield, but the strip is now boring and repetitive. Garfield does NOTHING but sit on the table, and Jon is ALWAYS an insane loser. It looks like they use the same 4 drawings over and over.

It's wondered about Garfield's voice in that commercial too. It's possible that Lorenzo recorded it before his death, or it's possible that they lifted his dialogue from other commercials. I can't remember exactly what he said but I remember it being kind of generic overall.

11. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

The strip has been downhill for a couple years now. Jim Davis likes to boast that he has never taken a day off in his life. Listen Jim: You need to take a break! Come back with some fresh ideas... Bring back the supporting cast. Odie is getting rare now too. Let Jon and Garfield leave the house!

12. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 New Member

I was about tho bring that up. I also want to mention, that in later years, Peter Venkman was voiced by Dave Coulier who just imitated Bill Murray.

13. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 New Member

My thoughts on this

First of all, I agree with Brandon that it couldn't have been Bill Murray who voiced Garfield in the LitterMaid commercial. It just didn't sound like him. As good as Bill is in his movie roles, (Ex: Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, Space Jam) I really can't picture him voicing Garfield.

I kind of agree with Dacp and Paul about the strip. These days it's just Jon trying to get a date or Garfield watching TV. Jim Davis need to bring back some concepts like Jon going out with Liz the vet or Garfield mailing Nermal to Abu Dhabi. Heck, we don't even show as much as Odie as we used to.

Yeah, I don't know if this "Garfield" movie is a good idea, especially without Lorenzo Music voicing him.

14. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

Okay, here's the official word:
    Geoffrey Gould, who plays a milkman in the big-screen live-action/CGI adaptation of Garfield, published an interesting set-report on his website in March 2003: "Only Garfield [will] be CGI. The other well-known and beloved characters would be actual cats and dogs, their lips computer animated to speak, a la Cats and Dogs and such. Instead of the grey tabby that is the kitten Nermal of the strip, they are using a very pretty long-haired Siamese cat."

From animated-movies.net

15. rodney

rodney one lucky duck

16. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

That could be an explanation for how horrible the strip is now.

17. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT Moderator Reporter

18. Greg Method

Greg Method Square Dance Caller

I've heard the opposite, that he still writes the gags but has his anonymous "Paws Inc." artists draw the strips.

19. rodney

rodney one lucky duck

That may be the case. I know his involvement with the strip is minimal now. I may have gotten the story wrong, I saw it on a CNN piece around the time that Charles Schulz died.

20. Atoon

Atoon Broken English

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Retaking the subject, I think that a good voice for Garfield could be made for Sandro Larenas, the chilean voice :yawn: I don't know if he speak english, but Jim Davis says that he is the best international voice for Garfield.