1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The New Toonami Ratings Thread (now with more civility!)

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Cartoon X, Apr 20, 2013.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

It probably won't do much considering the mediocre ratings of the first season, but I think it will work a hair better than JoJo.

2. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Has modern Toonami had any notable or consistent ratings earners not named Dragon Ball?

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that IBO season two was coming in October, but I might have been mistaken. I don't know how far they're into Root A's run at this point either.

4. Scrappy-Fan92

Root A is more than halfway done. It should be replaced by IBO in October.

5. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Yes. IBO is coming soon to save us from the horrors of Root A. As for non Dragonball Toonami hits, Bleach, Space Dandy, Attack on Titan season 1, Kill la Kill, Akame ga Kill, Sword Art Online season 2, One Punch Man, and Samurai Jack were all heavy hitters over 1 million. Toonami has just ran out of casual-appeal shows.

6. TheCtes

TheCtes Active Member

Yes, there have been a few. Bleach did consistently great at the top of the block for its full run. One Punch Man and Samurai Jack did really great as well, though to be fair, they had short runs. Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online both did well their full first seasons, though they're definitely not consistent if you count their second seasons, but they were quite notable. A bunch of the other shows might have been quite notable at times, but as consistantly as these. Naruto, ThunderCats, Blue Exorcist, Space Dandy, Dimension W and many more have all did great at times. One Piece despite having to leave in the end was quite succesful as first. It's not like the block has been carried by Dragon Ball at all.

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

7. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Knowing how well known DB is it kind of makes sense why DB would be usually the higher rated show.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that was the case, but I wasn't sure. It's probably a bit too early for them to promoting IBO's return in October. They usually don't start promoting a new show until a couple of weeks before it premieres on the block.

9. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Our main issue is the lack of casual appeal shows aside from Dragonball. Samurai Jack was casual beloved. My Hero Academia had the huge potential of being Toonami's next big thing if they could air it. Streaming is getting all the casual stuff, forcing Toonami to rely on long runners.Speaking of which, I wonder why Bleach became a huge hit and JoJo flopped so hard. They are both style over substance over the top actioners.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The thing to keep in mind is, Bleach was already huge before it even aired on Adult Swim. The manga just came at the right time, during the Shonen boom that also made Naruto and One Piece big. That's why they were known as the Big Three.

With JoJo's, it's unfortunately never been super popular in the US. By the time the manga came over, the art was too dated to appeal to the most mainstream audiences, and while the show was more popular than the manga here by a large margin, it still never reached the same level of awareness that Bleach had in it's prime.

11. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

It probably is timing considering the rise of short seinen and edgier short shonen. Of course, HunterXHunter seems to be doing pretty good for a long runner, considering how small its losses from previous shows are. Still, it might do just as bad as JoJo. Relying on long running shonen seems like an ineffective strategy compared to the short running anime dominated Toonami Renaissance, but long runners are the only things not taken by streaming.

12. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

A slightly negative question, but...do you guys think at this point there's anything that could be done to raise the ratings back up, or should we just be satisfied/trying to maintain this lower new status quo? It seems like the Toonami crew have done just about everything they can to draw back in those old numbers, but something's not working. It could simply be the rise of streaming.

13. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

If Attack on Titan season 2 couldn't raise ratings, nothing can.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

To be fair, Attack on Titan's second season clearly didn't have the same kind of hype that the first season did. This was probably due to how long it's been since the first season aired and jumping in right away with a simulcast dub prevented the show from getting more hype. It's really not surprising that new Attack on Titan episodes couldn't attract bigger ratings. Anyone who was a fan of the first season probably either lost interest or went with the manga.

15. Scrappy-Fan92

I would've thought that the use of simulcasting would be an advantage, not a drawback.

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that it could have been a drawback in the sense that there wasn't more time for the show to create more buzz online to make it have the same kind of hype and popularity as it did with the first season. I don't know if the show was instantly popular once the first episode aired in Japan, but I thought that it took a few weeks for it's popularity to sore and I don't think the show premiered on the block until awhile after the first season ended either. Although, I think that just the amount of time it took to get season two off the ground and the series' popularity getting weaker as a result were bigger factors here.

17. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

Is it possible given the fact they do lead in with a repeat even if it is part of the Dragon Ball universe? Only two hours separate an airing of the same episode as early into the night played. I'll give an exception to the hurricane but away from that as well as online streaming ~~ really still think 11pm should be the network premier and use the 8pm hour for the previous two so that 3 different episodes air per week. I don't see anything wrong with two DBS repeats in that 8pm hour as long as they stay recurring - especially given where the series is now - it's not Beerus or Golden Frieza sagas based off films so it's something new to fans. TV can still be of use if they waited to premier them that way first before it's stream premier. In some cases the subs will appear there first, but if they can manage a dub airing first before a sub online it could help the block. There'll be those who prefer waiting online though.

18. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

I was kinda hoping for re ;creaters would be on
    toonami it's not just one anime serires it all of them

19. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Top 25 ratings time and we have some surprises:

Kai: 775,000
    JoJo: 618,000
    Tokyo Ghoul: 677,000
    Nothing else in top 25. Still, Ghoul beating JoJo is a shocker because Root A is getting GXP levels of hate on the forums. It might have something to do with the utter insanity of the evil monkey episode. Will JoJo get GXP'd when IBO comes, or will survive in the top half?

20. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Full ratings:

11:00 Dragon Ball Super (r) 850 0.39 509
    11:30 Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 775 0.36 462
    12:00a Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 618 0.31 394
    12:30a Tokyo Ghoul 677 0.33 431

1:00a Hunter X Hunter 589 0.27 346
    1:30a Lupin the 3rd: Part 4 489 0.21 273
    2:00a Naruto: Shippuden 494 0.21 272
    2:30a Outlaw Star 398 0.17 221
    3:00a Cowboy Bebop (r) 314 0.17 222
    3:30a Attack on Titan (r) 316 0.17 219

Back half can barely get over 300,000 and comedy is kicking its butt.