1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The New Toonami Ratings Thread (now with more civility!)

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Cartoon X, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From what I've heard, Super's first two arcs aren't well received due to just being longer versions of the two movies that came before the series and having some pretty noticeable animation problems. Afterwards, the series seemed to be generally well received among its fans, but that's just based on what I've seen as someone outside of that fanbase. I'm also not sure how much that would affect Toonami ratings. I don't know if retellings of the movies would really bother more casual viewers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I think the problem is that Super isn't attracting the casual viewers. Z was a phenomenon that even some staunch anime haters love. Super seems to be mainly liked by hardcore Z fans. It isn't getting the casual appeal. The okay ratings for the Beerus Arc and bad ratings for the Frieza returns arc solidifies it. The Universe 6 vs Universe 7 Tournament isn't getting new viewers (and before someone says, give it a few weeks, it won't). Super's obviously not the massive hit some people expected. The fact that it gets next episode previews at least shows that Adult Swim has some faith in it. When those previews cease, Toonami's in trouble.

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Ghost in the shell saw a low number but thankfully its better than last weeks low.

4. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

We'll have to wait, the arc just started ;).

5. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Yes, but whenever people say "wait until it gets to part X, ratings will increase" This never was true. When Bleach aired, the long filler arcs were sometimes blamed for ratings, but we've learned that supposedly fan-hated stretches of shows can get high ratings and fan loved portions got low ratings. There was no visible correlation with Bleach.

6. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

They need better shows after the Dragon Ball hour. Tokyo ghoul isnt very riveting nor is JoJo.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Better shows could definitely help, but not necessarily a guarantee. Stardust Crusaders is considered the most popular Jojo arc and many claim that this is where the series gets good, but that isn't doing well in ratings. Not to mention the quality of shows is subjective anyway. I think that the block can and has done better than something like Tokyo Ghoul though.

8. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

They probably got it because gore shows were usually a hit in the ratings. This one was more of a 2014-2015 fad show than anything. The fad has passed and people have moved on to My Hero Academia.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I think people also voted for more dark and gory shows a few years ago. I remember that they had something like a poll for fans asking what kind of shows that they wanted for the block on their Facebook and Tumblr a year or two after Toonami was revived. That might have been a factor into their decisions to pick up shows like Hellings Ultimate and Tokyo Ghoul.

10. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I feel like lupin would've worked better right after dragon Ball Kai.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

11. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I doubt it because Lupin's a niche property. It doesn't have the ridiculous over the top action scenes of most shonen. Part IV seems to be more of a dramedy so Part II fans expecting lots of slapstick and pratfalls are also disappointed.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I haven't seen anything other than Part IV and even I'm disappointed with the lack of wacky slapstick and comedy in the series.

13. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

For some reason the lack of the listed above in Part IV eluded me. Still enjoy the series well enough though and will continue to watch.

However, despite Part II's slapstick and whatnot, I did cringe at times for the Americanization references done in the series as I (and most everyone else) obviously knew it wasn't properly translated. I remember one of the episodes, Lupin had a line referring to Regis Philbin and "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". Reminds me of a video I saw when FUNimation was still dubbing... Shin Chan I believe... writers had come up with a few different lines to use where just one of them would be used in it based on what the character would say. There was some voting process or whatever to determine what line they'd use. Wonder if that's how Pioneer/Geneon decided certain lines in Part II. Still wasn't a bad dub imo, but certain cringe moments given used dialogue.

Anyways, I think Lupin may be better where it's at anyway given even the action is at a minimum. Nothing over the top, so placing it earlier wouldn't help the cause imo. It'd probably end up being sent down to where it is now.

14. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Top 25 ratings are in and things are not getting even a little bit better.

Kai: 844,000
    JoJo: 680,000
    Tokyo Ghoul: 622,000

Nothing else made the top 25.

15. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Full ratings Super barely cracked 900,000.
    11:00 Dragon Ball Super (r) 901 0.41 531
    11:30 Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 844 0.39 498
    12:00a Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 680 0.31 404
    12:30a Tokyo Ghoul 622 0.27 341

1:00a Hunter X Hunter 567 0.26 332
    1:30a Lupin the 3rd: Part 4 459 0.19 248
    2:00a Naruto: Shippuden 501 0.21 273
    2:30a Ghost in the Shell (r) 389 0.17 222
    3:00a Attack on Titan (r) 365 0.17 220

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The 1:30 slot must be cursed; Shippuden seems to beat it a lot.

17. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Lupin continues to see a loop around it when it comes to rating trend it sure does dip only for the next show to pick up.

18. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Sword Art Online Season 2 did great in that slot two years ago.

19. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

True, but SAO was huge. It would have done well in almost any slot.

Hopefully the gap between seasons 2 and 3 doesn't hurt the ratings for the next SAO season.