1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The NEW Official "So What Do You Recommend?" Thread

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by wonderfly, Jun 2, 2006.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Oh yes, most definitely!! In fact, it's perhaps the best Marvel comic on the stands right now. That, or Incredible Hercules. Get the back issues if you can, as well, (to see the Skrulls try to take over Britain)!

2. soundmonkey44

soundmonkey44 Melancholic Man.

I have some Reccomindations!

Archie comics
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic Universe

IDW comics
    Dr. Who
    Transformers

Marvel comics
    Avengers: Iniative
    Captian Britian & MI 13
    Deadpool
    Ghost Rider
    Mighty avengers
    New Avengers
    Punisher
    Runaways
    Thunderbolts

3. Preston

Preston Member

I haven't really read too many comic books before [occasionally in spurts, but never really], but recently checked out Planet Hulk and Killing Joke from my local library and loved them. What are some other comic series like those bound into one that have familiar characters that I should read?

4. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Attempting to revive things...

Since I posted here a few years ago, I've enjoyed reading "Love and Capes" (when I could find a copy) as Ed suggested. Was wondering if anyone had any new suggestions?

My usual rather picky criteria still apply:

- Nothing involving a massive crossover the size of my weekly grocery budget.
    - Nothing involving women being stuffed in a fridge or raped (or similar such treatment).
    - Nothing featuring the 90s or 2000s versions of the Joker (since I can't stand his mass-murdering modern incarnation).
    - Nothing involving punching someone's head or similar body parts into a bloody mist (see: Superboy-Prime and "Infinite Crisis").
    - Would prefer nothing with Kyle Rayner or 90s/2000s "jerkass" Batman as well if possible.
    - Also would prefer no manga (not big on the artwork), though thought about buying the various issues in the recent Sabrina the Teenage Witch manga run (for the characters/story)...

Comics I've enjoyed recently include "All Star Superman", the various Showcase Presents reprints, the aforementioned Love and Capes, Uncle Scrooge, and various newspaper comic strips (ranging from Dykes to Watch Out For to Dilbert to This Modern World to Get Fuzzy). Favorite characters include Superman, the Flash, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, the Thing (Fanastic Four).

-B.

5. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Easiest one to toss out there is Atomic Robo. They even have a little "List of Things We Will Never Do" that sounds suspiciously like Brainatra's List of Things He Hates:

2 trades out now (and I really ought to finish reviewing the second series, which reads much better in trades than in single-issues), with series #3 on the way soon. Gogeddit. Red 5 Comics also publishes Neozoic, which isn't quite as enjoyable as Robo and tends to skew darker, but it is people vs. dinosaurs and that has a certain amount of entertainment value all by itself.

I also like Firebreather from Image quite a bit. Sure, it's a rehash of Spider-Man teen angsty superheroics on one level, but a comic with the warped sensibility to make its hero a kid who's the child of Godzilla and a normal woman kind of has my endorsement on general principle. Not much there yet (2 trades of 4 issues each, one just released this week, and 1 one-shot prestige comic) and they tend to run late. But they're also coming to Cartoon Network in a CGI movie so you might as well get in before they do something stupid to it.

I don't know if you'll go to the Marvel side of the house, but Runaways is pretty consistently awesome. The first HC collects all 18 issues of the first run, which was thoroughly incredible. The rest so far is a little less awesome, but always enjoyable under Brian K. Vaughan/Adrian Alphona's watch. I liked the Joss Whedon issues, too, and have the new Terry Moore volume on my "to read" pile.

Speaking of Moore, his new series Echo is a lot of fun, and he's said that he's doing it differently from Strangers in Paradise, meaning he has a plan from the start this time. He's also a lot better about getting the book out on time, unlike some other cool indie creators (>cough<JeffSmithRASL>cough<!).

Hope this helps!

6. byron lomax

byron lomax Member

I've been thinking about getting the comic series Alias, as the story is told in just a few trades that I've come across for cheap. Is it recommended, and do I have to know much about the Marvel Universe in order to enjoy the series?

7. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

Is it ok if I ask for something raunchy? Also something raunchy and comedic? The only comics I've read are serious superhero ones, I want something outside of that.

8. King

King I'M GOING TO JAPAN!

Ummm, try reading “ The Mask ”. It's a little serious at times, but it does have a lot of dark humor.

And, if you give it a chance, there's a OEL Manga call “MBQ”. It's a real life “Coming up age” story that have a message in it (The story about a guy that wants to make his own Comic and be rich...But he's to lazy to get a job) , but it mostly have Sex, blood, action, drugs, crazy art work in the OEL manga. About 90% is humor in it. It does get raunchy time to time.

9. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm looking for a recommendation of Sonic The Hedgehog issues to get. I started buying them at #197 and recently obtained the first 11 digest thus allowing me to read the stories from #1-40 and the mini-series taking place prior to the series.

I'm probably going to refrain from picking up anything from #41-60 since they should all be reprinted by the next few years.

That said, any issue from 61 to 196 that you'd recommend? Reason for recommending said issue would be helpful. Now I do already have #174, because of it featuring the wedding of Antoine and Bunny Rabbot.

10. soundmonkey44

soundmonkey44 Melancholic Man.

I second this Sonic The Hedgehog is A great series for all ages, & Tracy Yardly keeps improving it! A must read for any sonic fan be thay young or old! (& A great 1st series for the kids, after all it was my 1st & im still reading it.:flapjack::chowder: ) (My 1st issue was #76 Right around when the Adventure arc started)

11. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

I now have a free month of Marvel Digital Comics. And I am well hearsed in the Spider-Man side of the Marvel Universe (very, very tired of it too), and need a good list of past and present titles to cram in these four weeks.

I was thinking about finally sitting down and reading Runaways, maybe the Skrull Invasion stuff, not so sure about X-Men titles but am willing to be pointed in a good direction (like Age of Apocalypse for one).

Am I missing anything?

12. Tomato Surprise

Tomato Surprise Uni-Baby Will Save Us All!

Can anyone reccomend some good TPBs for any of the following heroes?

* Teen Titans
    * Young Justice
    * The Question
    * Ted Kord Blue Beetle
    * Wonder Woman (both Perez and modern day non-Perez that actually treats WW as a human and not cheescake)
    * Martain Manhunter
    * The Flash
    * Birds of Prey (has Gail Simone's run been published in TPBs?)
    * Batgirl
    * Supergirl
    * Kamandi
    * Etrigan

Tall order, I know.

Thanks,
    Tomato

13. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

teen titans:
    silver age:
    showcase presents teen titans vol 1
    showcase presents teen titans vol 2

80's wolfman and perez run:
    terra incognito
    the judas contract
    the terror of trigon
    who is donna troy?

geoff johns run of current series:
    a kid's game
    family lost
    beast boys and girls
    the future is now
    teen titans/outsiders: insiders
    life and death

the question:
    action heroes archives vol 2 (reprints all the 60's-80's question stories before dc got the rights to the character)
    blue beetle (1986 series) issues 4-7. (the question teams up with ted kord)
    zen and violence
    poisoned guard
    epitaph for a hero
    welcome to oz
    riddles
    batman/huntress: cry for blood
    52 vol 1
    52 vol 2
    52 vol 3
    52 vol 4
    justice league unlimited vol 2: world's greatest heroes (the animated question gets his own story)
    watchmen (the question was the inspiration for rorschach)
    helltown (an original novel)

and here's the ultimate question fan site:
    www.vicsage.com

batgirl:
    showcase presents batgirl vol 1
    batgirl: year one

supergirl:
    showcase presents supergirl vol 1
    showcase presents supergirl vol 2
    supergirl
    many happy returns
    superman/batman: supergirl
    supergirl: power

14. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

With so many broad titles on their website, it really just depends on what your interests are for what you want to read. Are you looking for current comics, or classic material? I would indeed recommend Runaways, (I see the entire first run of the comic book is on there! I'll definently have to get around to reading it now).

I myself am currently using the website to read the original "Annihilation" event from a few years back, (I passed on it the first time around, but then realized the cosmic Marvel stuff is being written pretty cool!)

How did you get a free month's subscription? I didn't see any trial offers when I signed up, (I went ahead and bought a full year's subscription myself). Are you going to buy a subscription when your one month is over if you like it enough?

15. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

A code for a free month comes with the retail version of Marvel vs Capcom 2 at Gamestop.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75691

It offered a second deal when I signed up, wanting me to pay for a second month at a really cheap price, but things are really hectic for me schedule-wise, so I think I'll just use this one month even if I end up liking it.

I had to pretty much sign up for it now anyways, because the offer only extends to the end of September, and I'll definately be too busy then.

But yeah, X-titles, Silver Surfer, FF, classic, current, etc., I'm game. It's just Spider-Man that I'm burned out on.

16. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

What would anyone recommend for Batman (besides The Dark Knight Returns), Superman, and Green Lantern?

17. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

you've just placed a hefty order for those guys ;)

batman:
    ARKHAM ASYLUM ANNIVERSARY EDITION
    BATGIRL: YEAR ONE
    BATMAN AND SON
    BATMAN AND THE MONSTER MEN
    BATMAN AND THE MAD MONK
    BATMAN ARCHIVES VOL. 1

BATMAN ILLUSTRATED BY NEAL ADAMS VOL. 2 - i think this is the best batman ever written. the main highlight in this volume are the man-bat stories.

BATMAN ILLUSTRATED BY NEAL ADAMS VOL. 3
    BATMAN: BLIND JUSTICE
    BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN
    BATMAN: DARK VICTORY
    BATMAN: FACE THE FACE
    BATMAN: HUSH
    BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE SPECIAL EDITION
    BATMAN: THE MAN WHO LAUGHS
    BATMAN: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE CAPED CRUSADER? DELUXE EDITION
    BATMAN: YEAR ONE DELUXE EDITION
    GOTHAM CENTRAL VOL. 1: IN THE LINE OF DUTY

GREATEST BATMAN STORIES EVER TOLD VOL. 1 - out of print. the new greatest batman stories trade is terrible. track this edition down instead.

ROBIN: YEAR ONE
    SHOWCASE PRESENTS: BATMAN VOL. 1
    SHOWCASE PRESENTS: BATMAN VOL. 2
    SHOWCASE PRESENTS: BATMAN VOL. 3
    SHOWCASE PRESENTS: BATMAN VOL. 4

superman:
    ALL STAR SUPERMAN VOL. 1
    ALL-STAR SUPERMAN VOL. 2
    DC COMICS CLASSICS LIBRARY: SUPERMAN – KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
    MAJESTIC VOL. 1: STRANGE NEW VISITOR
    SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN VOL. 1
    SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN VOL. 2
    SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN VOL. 3
    SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN VOL. 4
    SUPERGIRL: POWER
    SUPERMAN AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES
    SUPERMAN FOR ALL SEASONS
    SUPERMAN/BATMAN VOL. 1: PUBLIC ENEMIES - NEW EDITION
    SUPERMAN/BATMAN VOL. 2: SUPERGIRL
    SUPERMAN/BATMAN VOL. 3: ABSOLUTE POWER
    SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT
    SUPERMAN: BRAINIAC
    SUPERMAN: ESCAPE FROM BIZARRO WORLD
    SUPERMAN: KRYPTONITE
    SUPERMAN: LAST SON
    SUPERMAN: NEW KRYPTON VOL. 1
    SUPERMAN: NEW KRYPTON VOL. 2
    SUPERMAN: UNCONVENTIONAL WARFARE
    SUPERMAN: THAT HEALING TOUCH
    SUPERMAN: RUIN REVEALED
    SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF STEEL VOL. 1: NEW PRINTING
    SUPERMAN: UP, UP AND AWAY!
    SUPERMAN: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW? DELUXE EDITION
    SUPERMAN: THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN
    SUPERMAN: WORLD WITHOUT A SUPERMAN
    SUPERMAN: THE RETURN OF SUPERMAN

green lantern:
    GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW VOL. 1
    GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW VOL. 2
    GREEN LANTERN: NO FEAR
    GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH
    SHOWCASE PRESENTS: GREEN LANTERN VOL. 1

18. Tomato Surprise

Tomato Surprise Uni-Baby Will Save Us All!

I also reccomend Green Lantern Corps: Recharge and DC: The New Frontier, both of which are excellent and feature GL heavily. I also reccomend Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. Really good art and story.

Tomato