1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The NEW Official "So What Do You Recommend?" Thread

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by wonderfly, Jun 2, 2006.

1. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

i'll get back to you for the self contained stories you're looking for, but ed brubaker's captain america is the best place to get started. here are his graphic novels/trade paperbacks in order:

captain america vol 1: winter soilder book 1
    captain america vol 2: winter soilder book 2
    captain america vol 3: red menace book 1
    captain america vol 4: red menace book 2
    captain america vol 5: civil war
    death of captain america vol 1: the death of a dream
    death of captain america vol 2: burden of dreams
    death of captain america vol 3: man who bought america

or you can go and pick up the 75 dollar hardcover captain america by ed brubaker omnibus. i'd pick up the civil war graphic novel along with the brubaker trades as well.

2. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Have you already hit The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One? Frank Miller before he was crazy, but also comics I recommend to just about anyone.

I would also point you to Miller's Daredevil: Born Again, which kicks ass on many levels. There's a climactic fight sequence that can produce a massive emotional charge just from the splash page that is going to kick off the story. Thoroughly awesome stuff.

Grant Morrison's run on JLA was also wicked cool, and stands by itself pretty well. Go for either the New World Order TPB (which has the benefit of being cheap) or the new oversized HC (which has the benefit of being gorgeous).

Astro City by Kurt Busiek is also terrific. The first TPB is Life in the Big City, but you don't necessarily have to start there. Nearly all of them stand alone, alternating between long-form graphic novels and collections of done-in-one stories. There's lots of linkages between the different stories, so a throwaway reference in one book may be explained in another, but that's gravy, not the steak.

I'd also recommend Superman: Secret Identity (also by Kurt Busiek), which is about a guy named Clark Kent who discovers he has superpowers, but isn't Superman the way you know him. It's awesome, though.

My most recent hook is Atomic Robo, which has nothing to do with Marvel or DC but is completely cool.

I could start in on the non-spandex titles, but then we'd be here all day ;).

-- Ed

3. rggkjg1

here's some stand alone marvel stories:
    daredevil: yellow
    marvel 1602
    marvels - i think this is the first thing you should pick up. if anything meets your criteria for what you're looking for at the moment, this is it. on the marvel side at least.
    the punisher: welcome back frank (this did lead to the ongoing series, but i highly doubt anyone was expecting there would be an ongoing series when this was being written and released)
    spider-man: blue

stand alone dc stories:
    batman: the dark knight returns (lets pretend we still live in a universe where the dark knight strikes again and everything miller did after never existed)
    justice vol 1-3
    space ghost
    all star superman vol 1 and 2
    superman: birthright
    superman: red son
    superman: secret identity
    the originals (vertigo)
    v for vendetta (vertigo)
    albion (wildstorm)

i'm sure i could have added a whole lot more, but i really had to make sure everything was almost "literally" stand alone as possible. i picked stories where they don't reference previous events in other stories or lead into events in a future story.

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

These sound like great suggestions, thanks. So far as Captain America goes, what are some of the greatest hits to recommend from the pre-Brubaker days? Classics, modern, it's all good.

5. rggkjg1

i wish i could help you in the non ed brubaker captain america department. im sure you can't go wrong with the essential captain america trades. also, the first volume/series of the ultimates is a good captain america story as well. i'd also consider looking into the upcoming captain america: white mini series: http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=9992

thats all i can help out with captain america. this comics101 article on cap should also help you out:

http://www.comics101.com/comics101//?mode=project&action=view&project=Comics 101&chapter=40

6. aalong64

aalong64 Active Member

Funny cartoony comics?

I'm looking for some funny, possibly cartoony comics to get into. My favourite series at the moment is Kyle Baker's Plastic Man, although I'm not sure how much of his other stuff is in a similar vein. I also like Howard the Duck and I just got into E-Man, which both seem pretty similar in their humour (except I guess the Howard comic has more of a social conscience). I'm also a fan of the Scott Pilgrim series, and another one I like is Groo the Wanderer...

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I'm trying to find some good humour comics.
    ???

7. Soul

Soul Mainly Lurking Now...

I'm looking for some really good and compelling and interesting Batman comics.

Yes Yes I've read the early year stuff like:

Year One
    The Man Who Laughs
    The Long Halloween
    Dark Victory

Then of course DKR and The Killing Joke.
    I'm kinda uncertain about reading All-Star due to negativity.

I'm interested in the two Wagner stories Monster Man/Mad Monk since they're set in the Year One Continuity.

So anything, you guy would recommend?

8. rggkjg1

i can recommend some really good batman stories, but i'm not sure whether or not you'll find them "compelling and interesting". or what you mean by "compelling and interesting".

stay away from all star batman. only read it if you can read it for free (borrowing issues or a trade from a friend)

the matt wagner monster men and mad monk stories are definately worth checking out.

ok, here's what i have to recommend (in continuity order):

robin: year one
    arkham asylum (i think this fits what you mean by "compelling and interesting" the most)
    a death in the family
    hush vol 1 & 2
    face the face
    batman and son
    resurrection of ra's al ghul
    the black glove

batman illustrated by neal adams vol 2 (i think some of the best batman stories ever written are collected in this volume)

9. Soul

Eh, I guess I meant it in general along with just being a good Batman comic.

3 of those you listed I am interested.
    Arkham Asylum, A Death in the Family (Which of course I know what happens) and then Hush.

10. Soul

I saw DKSA at my local library but didn't think about it till now.
    I've heard people say it's far from the original in terms of expectations but yeah.

Is it worth a read?

11. rggkjg1

no. all star batman isn't worth reading either. but it's free, and the only thing you'll be wasting is the time to read it. you never know though, you might like it. with all star batman, you got great pictures to look at. dksa on the other hand has terrible writing AND art.

12. Soul

All-Star just looks hilariously.
    I saw a panel where Robin asks Batman what he calls the Batmobile (the answer obviously) and I had to laugh at Dick's response.
    So yeah, I COULD like it.
    <.<

13. Soul

Alrighty, sorry for the multiple posts but I'll end my Batman stuff here.
    Yeah, DKSA...
    No.
    No for one real reason: The Art style.
    I like Frank's work in Sin City but this was just "blagh" I can't get past that and overbearing pop culture and social commentary references.

Final big question, and I hope I get a few responses to it.
    Is HUSH really as Amazing as I've heard?

14. rggkjg1

i can recommend hush since you asked. i dont know if the word amazing can describe it, but i liked it. i think it was more "amazing" when it was first coming out issue by issue than it is now.

15. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

ASB&R is hilarious. Espicially Issue #9. I find that Miller's style is less about being realistic and more about being entertaining, not to mention he seems to be drawing from the Golden Age darkness to the Silver Age lightness and incorporating that, but alas...

16. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

I used to have a hard time debating with myself whether Sin City was supposed to be a funny over-the-top parody of noir fiction or if Miller was serious. I don't remember where, but I recall finding out definitively that Miller was NOT poking fun at the noir genre, and that he was 100% serious with Sin City. This made the books a lot funnier, although almost certainly not in the same way Miller thought they were.

I think you're right that Miller is more interested in being entertaining than "realistic" in ASB&R, but I also think he has a pretty warped idea of what's entertaining these days. I have Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns and a few volumes of Sin City, which I mostly keep around for the stylish artwork, but beyond those, I'm happy to pretend that Miller retired from the biz after that.

-- Ed

17. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Interesting...

A part of me wishes to think ASB&R is suppose to be hardcore camp, but alas...

I reccomend Ed Liu finish reading Death Note and post in the talkback so I can finally know his thoughts on the series! :p

18. Terror of Death

Terror of Death Active Member

Anyone got any comic book recommendations for me? The books that I have thoroughly enjoyed so far include Planet Hulk, The Walking Dead, Batman No Mans Land, and some volumes of Ultimate Spider-man and Ultimate X-Men. I would prefer if the recommendations were more modern. I say this because I've read a couple of random Marvel comics including Spider-man and X-men from the 70's 80's and 90's but I was never able to get into them. Any help would be appreciated.

19. rggkjg1

i can recommend some modern batman, but i haven't read any of the no man's land trades, so i can't really help in that area if you're looking for something that's kind of like no man's land. i can help out if you can be a little more specific in which you're looking for. anything else you've read batman wise?

20. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

I read an issue of Paul Cornell's Captain Britain and MI: 13 yesterday, thought it was pretty good, and wondered if I should probably continue with it. So, should I?