1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The NEW Official "So What Do You Recommend?" Thread

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by wonderfly, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Richv1

Richv1 Member

2. ThePeterNetwork

ThePeterNetwork Smurf Life!

Now that I've re-established my geek cred by seeing the Iron Man movie two weeks ago, I've been thinking about checking out some good Iron Man TPBs since Marvel foolishly decided to quit publishing comic book adaptations of their movies. Anybody got any ideas?

3. dukealoops1993

I think Kingdom Come is great.

4. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Lucifer- worth it?

Is the Sandman spin-off worth reading?

5. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I've only read the first TBP, but that was mostly excellent. Actually, the initial miniseries in the collection was a little stronger than the first regular series arc, but both were good. I've heard good things about the later issues and plan to pick them up eventually.

Just don't expect, you know, heroics, altruism or even passing concern for others, at least in what I've read. This is the devil, after all. He uses people like tissues and throws them away.

6. GregX

GregX Active Member

The answer is a resounding HELL YES!!!!

:evil::evil::evil:

7. IDistractedYou

IDistractedYou Perky Prince of Painful Puns

I'd recomend it as well but as others have said realize who the main character is when you go in. If you need to actually like your main character or his actions you might not enjoy it. As with the Sandman having a fairly working knowledge of various mythology and folk lore will help some as well.

8. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I'm going to dissent slightly from everyone else. I thought the first TPB was OK, but not good enough for me to keep going. Mostly, I think it was just the problem that it was coming off of Sandman, which I still think is one of the best comics ever made. Lucifer was good, and maybe even very good, but not Sandman-good, and the fact that it was a spinoff pretty much forced the comparison. Lucifer just felt like Sandman-lite, which is fine if that's what you want.

Come to think of it, the only Sandman spinoff I can remember really liking was the one-shot with Merv Pumpkinhead that Bill Willingham wrote.

-- Ed

9. Shawn Hopkins

That's a very high bar to set, though. If you required all your comics to be as good as Sandman, you'd read very, very few comics. It's thought of by many people as the best long-running mainstream comics series ever. I've heard people refer to it as their favorite work of fiction of any kind. Lucifer doesn't have to be as good as Sandman to be one of the better Vertigo comics and worth reading.

You didn't like the Gaiman-penned Death spinoffs?

10. Hanshotfirst1138

Blast. It would appear that my library doesn't have it anyway.

11. Shawn Hopkins

I've heard that interlibrary loan works well. That's where libraries themselves can borrow books from other libraries. Ask your librarian about and they might be able to get it for you.

12. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Hanshotfirst113, I've merged your thread with the official "So What Do You Recommend?" thread, as that's what you're doing: asking for a recommendation.

Speaking of Sandman spin-offs, I was reading "Sandman Mystery Theater" for a few years back in the 90's, and yes, in a way, it was "Sandman-Lite", but still very entertaining.

I actually prefer "Sandman Mystery Theater" over stuff like "Lucifer" and the new "House of Mystery", which rely a little too much on the mythology of the Sandman universe, I believe, (this of course is off of reading just the first issue of "House of Mystery" and flipping through a couple of Lucifer TPB's at Barnes and Nobles)...

13. Ed Liu

Well, no, but that's what I meant that Lucifer forces the comparison by being a Sandman spinoff. I don't even expect it to be as good as Sandman, but I thought it fell short of the original title by enough of a margin that I couldn't really get into it. In anime, the same thing happened with Samurai 7 -- if you're going to invite comparison to what may be the greatest movie ever made, you better bring your A-game to the table, and I thought they just didn't. To pick another comparison, I didn't think Jamie Delano's Hellblazer was as good as the Alan Moore Swamp Thing comics that introduced John Constantine, but I thought they were good enough to keep reading.

On the other hand, I have no problem accepting my comic book snobbery. On some level, I kind of DO want all my comics to be as good or better than Sandman. I don't expect very many of them to meet that bar, but on the other hand, if you're not going to aim high, go home. I find I have less and less patience for comics that aren't much more than good, solid reads (Will Pfeifer's Catwoman and Robin, for instance, or most of the Geoff Johns I've read). There's a lot of good, solid reads out there, but if it's going to take up space on the bookshelf and my brainscape, I want more than that.

I thought they were fine, although the first one was another instance of the "Gaiman Ending," where a strong beginning starts getting fuzzy around the middle and just sort of runs out of pages rather than having a really satisfying ending. I liked the second one better, though.

-- Ed

14. Shawn Hopkins

Fair enough. With standards like that, though, what's actually making it onto your pull list these days?

15. Hanshotfirst1138

The network has the first few volumes, but not the entire series, alas. I suppose that I could drop a few e-mails....

16. Ed Liu

Increasingly, less and less from the usual month-to-month superhero grind. Off the top of my head (and all of the below can qualify as a recommendation from me), the monthly comics I'm reading at the moment are:

- DMZ (DC/Vertigo): I think it took Brian Wood some time to find his stride on this title, but he hit it somewhere around the end of the first TPB, and it's been getting better and better as it goes.

- Army@Love (DC/Vertigo): DMZ deals with modern-day issues obliquely. Rick Veitch in Army@Love deals with them directly, and is mostly a satiric indictment of lots of current foreign and domestic policy. I think it's funny, but I also happen to agree with a lot of it, and I don't know how funny you'll think it is if you don't. Definitely not for all audiences, but if your inclinations fall left of center and you're counting the days to the end of the Bush administration, this is pretty worthwhile.

- Fables (DC/Vertigo): I don't know how much Bill Willingham had worked out ahead of time and how much he's making up as he goes, but by now, he's got to be making stuff up and him making it up as he goes is WAY better than almost anyone else planing ahead. I'm amazed at how powerfully he's kept my attention for 10 volumes and counting now, and really the only reason why I've stopped talking about this title is because I've run out of ways to say, "This is awesome."

- Astro City (DC/Wildstorm): Because Astro City is awesome and always has been. Confession is one of my desert-island comic books, and I'm looking forward to finding an afternoon so I can sit down and devour The Dark Age HC in one giant, satisfying gulp.

- Echo/RASL (Abstract Studios/Cartoon Books): Pretty much getting these on the reputations of their respective creators, and the halo effect they have for being the people behind Strangers in Paradise and Bone, respectively. Of the two, Echo is probably the one I like more up front, but RASL is still keeping my attention.

- Conan (Dark Horse): Because there is nothing better than to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women, and Kurt Busiek and Tim Truman's Conan understands this.

- Elephantmen (Image): I'm still not quite sure why this title persists on my pull list. Not a whole lot happens in an issue, and there's bits that kind of don't make sense, but I find the world they've created to be really interesting and compelling. There's also something cool and poignant about human/animal hybrids struggling for nothing more than a normal life. And the artwork is totally gorgeous.

- Dynamo 5 (Image), Marvel Adventures: Avengers (Marvel), Firebreather (Image): These are my big, dumb fun books. They're all pretty straight-ahead superhero comics, but they're really well done straight-ahead superhero comics. And they make me laugh (except maybe Dynamo 5, which is serious as the grave, but I still like it).

- Atomic Robo (Red 5 Comics): I'm cheating on this (and Army@Love, for that matter) because it's a series of mini-series, but this book is Made of Awesome. Also kind of a big, dumb fun book, but there's a strong undercurrent of smarts and thought in it that puts it above the other big dumb fun books.

- Criminal (Marvel/Icon): Bru & Sean Phillips doing crime stories. Sure, they can kind of run into each other after a while, but if you want your noir dark and your fingernails filthy, you aren't going to do much better than this.

Admittedly, none of those books hits Sandman-level quality, but as I said, I don't expect very many books to come close to hitting that bar. Of the titles I've mentioned, probably only Fables and Astro City come close. I think the real common element that these books have with Sandman is that they're all done by people whose first and most important audience is themselves. They're not trying to give me what they think I want as much as they're giving me the stuff I never knew I needed, but now can't live without.

-- Ed

17. Shawn Hopkins

I also like what I've read of Army@Love, but like you said, I'm politically compatible with it. I don't know how someone who leans more toward the right would react. Probably with an angry post on Free Republic or a poorly researched Townhall.com blog entry.

18. dukealoops1993

anything by jeph loeb should be in here

19. GhostFaceKiller

What I reccomend....

Dynamo 5 - Image Comics
    Totem - Big City Comics
    New Avengers - Marvel Comics
    Ramayan Reloaded - Virgin Comics
    Project Superpowers - Dynamite Entertainment
    Dragon Cross - Big City Comics
    Allstar Batman & Robin - DC Comics
    Allstsr Superman - DC Comics
    Ultimate Spider-Man - Marvel Comics

20. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I'd like some suggestions for graphic novels that work as self-contained stories that don't require a lot of knowledge of comics history or other events to understand. I'm talking stuff like Watchmen or DC: New Frontier. I saw the animated adaptation of New Frontier, so that graphic novel is on my list. Watchmen I have already read.

Said stand-alone stories can be totally original like Watchmen or related to Marvel or DC superheroes. I don't care, I'm just looking for the cream of the crop. One that I've noticed so far as Kingdom Come...I'm thinking stuff like that.

I'd also like suggestions for getting started on Captain America.