1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The NEW Official "So What Do You Recommend?" Thread

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by wonderfly, Jun 2, 2006.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the NEW Official "So What Do You Recommend" thread! As the last recommendation thread was getting somewhat lengthy, (and some of it's recommendations were out of date), it was decided to close it down and reboot it with a fresh start.

The idea of this thread is pretty simple: In an effort to minimize the number of threads arising from people asking "So what's a good title for me to read?" this thread has been created to be your "one stop" place to find comic recommendations!

In this thread, you may do the following:

1. Ask for a recommendation for a comic title or genre, (such as, "What's a good mystery comic book to read?")
    2. Ask if a specific title/issue is worth reading, (such as, "Is Jonah Hex any good?")
    3. Plug a comic you think is worth reading, (in other words, you don't neccesarily have to wait for someone to ask for a recommendation).

Please note that recommendations/requests for online comic books/strips is handled in a different thread, which can be found here.

Now without further ado: Begin your requests/recommendations!!!

2. Daredevil_2003

Daredevil_2003 The Man Without Fear

Sooooo what do you guys think of Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men?

Having read every issue of Ultimate X-Men, I'm looking for something decent to keep me occupied, seeing as I'm completely caught up with UXM and have to eagerly wait for a new issue every month, and from what I've heard Morrison's run on NXM doesn't sound too shabby. I read his first couple issues on the title a long ass time ago and they were alright, certainly better than the Uncanny stuff of the same time, but is his whole run worth picking up? What arcs are the best? I'm already getting Planet X but I'd like to get either his whole run or the best stuff and read it in order, first. Is it worth it?

And have the Bat Titles gotten any better? Besides the fact I couldn't really afford comics anymore at the time, I stopped reading after Hush b/c they really didn't click with me. To be honest, I thought the majority of it sucked. But after seeing Batman Begins again on DVD I've got a hankerin for more Batman. Any reccomendations on something good? I've already read all the issues of the BTAS comics so it has to be mainstream books published after Hush or before NML.

3. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

It seems that (major spoilers ahoy!) opinions vary :D. Personally, I quit after the first TPB, but there are lots of others who worship the run. It really seems that the only sane thing is to read it and decide for yourself, which I suppose could be called a recommendation.

Others will assuredly have more recommendations, but I can heartily recommend Batman and the Monster Men by Matt Wagner. The 6-issue limited just wrapped up and a trade is coming very soon (August?). Part 2 (Batman and the Mad Monk) is also starting up in the next month or two.

I would also tell you to seek out and get Astro City: Confession as soon as possible. I call it the greatest Batman story ever written that doesn't have Batman in it, but either way it kicks mighty ass. It's one of my Desert Island Comic Books. Other than that, I enjoyed the first 2 Catwoman TPBs along with Selina's Big Score, and Birds of Prey starting with Gail Simone's run.

-- Ed

4. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

Seconded. This was one of the best Batman stories I've ever read, and it has some fantastic artwork to accompany it. It also had some text book scene as to why Batman is as brilliant as he is. If you're looking for a great Batman story, look no further than Monster Men.

5. Daredevil_2003

lol Fair enough, I'll read Planet X and if that's as good as some of the people who seem to have similar tastes to me have said it is I'll check out the earlier issues, then.

Those 2 minis sound really interesting but I'm not much into the BOP or Selina's solo adventures, never have been, so I'll steer clear of those. :p

Thanks, all.

6. Daredevil_2003

I got another question about Bat-comics. How is The Batman Strikes? I really adore the designs but if the writing is as poor as the TV series I'd rather not read it.

Is it any good?

7. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

i've gotten a couple issue of batman strikes that only featured batgirl. i enjoyed them and i plan on getting the series once robin is introduced in the series. i haven't really had a problem with the tv show. i wish i was able to catch up with some of the newer episodes since the introduction of jim gordon in the series.

and since your looking for more batman, check out james robinson's current arc in batman and detective comics. the story is just wraping up this month and the trade will be out in september. http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=5703

and i "third" recomend picking up batman and the monster men.

last but not least, if you have a "spare" 50 dollars sitting around get batman illustrated by neal adams vol 2. the stories contained in there is arguably the greatest batman ever written.

8. Daredevil_2003

Lies, sir. Lies and blasphemy. Year One, The Long Halloween, and Dark Victory are the greatest Bats ever written and I refuse to be told any different! :p ;)

9. rggkjg1

thats why i said arguably ;). the thing that impressess me the most from vol 2 is frank robbins' man-bat story. it's just so great. if you can, track down this back issue and see for your self: http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=39373. its collected in the hardcover, but neal adams went back and re-colored his art.

anyway, can anyone recomend me some wonder woman? i can't really get into trades right now because of how much they cost. if possible, im looking for something along the lines of "single issue" or "mini series" reprints. like the man-bat issue i posted above or something collected in one of those treasury sized comics from the 70's. if there isnt something collected in a trade or reprinted any where, i don't mind looking around for back issues.

10. Daredevil_2003

One more question.

For now.

:p

Astonishing X-Men. Any good?

I read the first issue online a long time ago and remember it as ok but if I'm gonna spend money on it I want some opinions first lol

EDIT: Oy...nevermind! I just dug up that online issue on Marvel.com and I am so picking the rest of it up! I likes it. :D

But what about Uncanny and X-Men? How is that? Like from the little mini-revamp after Morrison to now? Are they as good as Astonishing?

#10 Daredevil_2003, Jun 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2006
  11. Bubblegum Girl

Bubblegum Girl Magic User Wannabe

I really like those comics that have dark humor to it(Bear, Squee!, and Lenore) and I like super hero teen comics(Young Justice and Teen Titans), so do you know any comics that might be like that?(Either Dark Humor or Super Hero Teen)

12. Agent S7

Agent S7 Destined to Rock

I've read Squee! and a volume of Lenore. Good stuff.

On the topic of super-teens, I heartily endorse the brilliant Runaways. You've probably heard people praising it and saying how incredible it is and stuff. I didn't believe it either. ;) But then I picked up the first two paperback volumes from the local library...and I was hooked. Clever writing, realistic characters, a nice and twisty plot--it has it all.

If you want to get into it, I'd suggest buying the first hardcover online. It contains the first three TPB volumes and (I think) some extra stuff.

Glad to be of help,
    ~s7

13. melibell21

melibell21 She's a marshmallow

i have to second Runaways there. it'll be right up your alley. Teens, banter that's actually good, exciting, action-packed, etc. It's great. I just started getting into it and it's quickly become my favorite book. You'll like it.

14. Daredevil_2003

Spidey's a teen in Ultimate Spider-Man.

IIRC, the current volume of New X-Men features the youngins from New Mutants.

And Ultimate X-Men still has most of the characters in their teens. Late teens, granted, but still teens. I couldn't recommend that title more. Age of the heroes regardless, it's just damn good. Same with Ultimate Spider-Man. I dont know about the new New X-Men (lol) and I've never read it so I can't really attest to it's quality.

15. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit

Chris Claremont's been writing "Uncanny X-men" since Morrison left the X-verse, and his writing has been rather lacking, in my humble opinion. Chuck Austin started to write "Just Plain X-men" for a few issues after Morrison left, but then Austin left the book, (and not a moment too soon...don't go near his attempt to make sense of the Xorn character). Peter Milligan's been writing "Just Plain X-men" since then, and along with Salvador Larroca's artwork, I find it's a pretty decent read. But it's a damn unusual take on the X-men: the characters are all being written though the writer's warped perspective. It's not a title that's going to be liked by everybody.

Havind said all that, this July sees new creative teams take over both titles, with Ed "I can make retcon's work!" Brubaker taking over Uncanny X-men, and Mike Carey taking over X-men. Both runs look intriguing, but you'll have to read the "X-men: Deadly Genesis" miniseries to understand what's going on in Ed Brubaker's run on the Uncanny title.

16. Daredevil_2003

Brubaker? The Batman Brubaker? Ooooh...I shall have to check that out. His stuff on Batman made me all happy and stuff. I hope he writes X-Men as well as The Dark Knight.

In other news, I read the whole run of Astonishing X-Men by Whedon so far, the other day, and really enjoyed it. I thought seeing the cure in a comic written well before X3 was funny in a way. Also funny how neither story was really all that great. Both arcs were sufficient with a really good premise. If only they had combined the two. Maybe done X3 as something else, then made X4 as the cure story, and X5 would be a Planet X kind of tale with Magneto's last hurrah after regaining his powers but losing everything else. Anyway, whatever, enough rambling. Can't wait for issue 15.

Tonight I started tackling Grant Morrison's New X-Men. It's better than any other mainstream X-stories I've ever read and I really do like the costumes. Superhero image PR malarkey or not, those bright costumes are just goofy, especially Wolverine's, considering the tone and the general "vibe", if you will.

17. Daredevil_2003

Super-Comic questions....How was Birthright? and are there any recent stories that actually capture the 'real' Superman of the films and TAS and old school Supes? Ya know, the stoic hero figure who always does what is right simply because its the only thing that would occur to him and who is not the whiney, conflicted, 'I am deep and emotional' Superman with poor, completely uninspiring plots and the like. Yes, I realize Superman has been conflicted in the type of stories I'm looking for, but you get the point. No Iron Age craptasticalness.

I'm looking for Superman: The Movie through Returns-ish characterization here.

18. rggkjg1

if your looking for superman of the movies, then get the superman returns prequel comics. they bridge the gap between superman and superman returns. every issue has a flashback to the first movie. while your at it, pick up the comic adaptation of returns this thursday. hopefully we are going to get some of those cut scenes in comic form.

the current story "up, up, and away!" running in superman and action comics just wrapped up. i really enjoyed it and for the most part thought it was nothing more than an indirect superman returns tie in. "up, up, and away!" was a far better superman returns story as far as i'm concerned. the trade is coming out in september. but if you need to fill your superman movie fix, rush out and get these asap. http://dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=5713 . you might want to get all star superman as well for the "old school" supes.

i have not read birthright completely because i am missing one issue in the middle of the series. for the most part it picks up right after where smallville will eventually end. if you like smallville, check this out.

and i almost forgot, there are comic adaptations of superman iii and superman iv: the quest for peace (which includes the cut scenes). ;)

19. Daredevil_2003

Already read the prequels. :p They were very good. :D I'll pick up the adaptation just to feed my hunger for some good Superman comics but I'm not expecting much from it, most comic-adaptations of the corresponding film dissapoint me.

I am interested in Up, Up, and Away. I can't wait to read it when the collection becomes available... As for Birthright, is it that heavily influenced by Smallville? I was under the impression it was just another retelling of the origin ala Man of Steel but with, as is the case with most retellings, a more modern-day, accessible to any reader touch. But if it's Smallville with the costume I'll steer clear, I hate that show with a passion.

Are there no other good stories? I'm not looking for Supermovie universe nor a throwback to the type of stories from the old ages but rather the way the characters themselves act, especially Supes. I've read All-Star Superman and I really cannot stomach it for some reason, it's just too out there. Even though the characters are written well, reading it just makes me feel ill, seriously. Besides the fact they embody everything I view Superman to be, I love the movies and TAS specifically because they are a little more grounded, if not in overall plot then in execution at the least.

20. rggkjg1

the only thing that is really directly related to smallville in birthright is that lex luthor and clark were friends. but no, its not smallville with the costume. birthright is a modern day retelling and is accessible to everyone. smallville is "vague continuity" for birthright. ;)

the superman returns: the movie and more tales trade collects the definitive superman origin as far as i'm concerned. http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=5194

am i the only superman fan who likes superman iii & iv, lois and clark, and smallville?