1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Mighty Avengers #7-11 "Venom Bomb" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Xurk, Jan 9, 2008.

?

How do you rate this venomous / Doomed story?

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Tony has taken off his face mask plenty of times though since his upgrade. And who's to say she's not a Skurll sleeper agent of some sort. Even though she's been like a double-agent for SHIELD and HYDRA now, it would get kinda silly if it turned out she was a Skrull as well suddenly.

2. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

Well, this issue gets props for Doom being captured and put into S.H.I.E.L.D. custody... how often does that happen! It's like when Spider-Man put Norman Osborn in jail back in Marvel Knights: Spider-Man #1 :)

As the final issue in this story arc, I didn't particularly enjoy it. It was okay, but not much really happened; all of the Avengers were captured and they talked for two-thirds of the issue, then Sentry saved the day and that was it. They've got me thinking that Jessica Drew really is a Skrull now, something that makes me think that she'll turn out not to be :p

3. En Sabah Nur

En Sabah Nur Apocalypse, The First One

Yes he took it off himself, it was not ripped off of him. If she was a sleeper agent, she would still not have brought the body of a skrull to Iron Man.

4. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

How does that make sense? If she's a sleeper, she may not even have any idea she's actually a Skrull until her cell is activated.

5. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Apparently, the comics blogs are going minorly berserk over incredibly out-of-character speechifying by Doctor Doom in #11 (click here for a nice, long history of proper Doom speechifying, ending with the OOC speechifying that Bendis wrote).

Mostly, I'm going to side with Bully, who just takes the opportunity to point and laugh by coming up with more things that Doom would never say. But really, if you're going to punt on a decades-old tradition of overly self-inflated pompous villainy that insists on referring to oneself in the third person and pretends contractions do not exist, surely you can come up with better than, "Shut your cow-mouth," can't you?

-- Ed

6. spidl

spidl Active Member

The arc was not that great. I liked the Iron Man/Doctor Doom scenes, but everything else came off as a gimmick. The only problem I had with Doom's dialog was the scenes with Ms. Marvel which were really really stupid. Of course I have never been that impressed with Bendis as a writer.