1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Mighty Avengers #7-11 "Venom Bomb" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Xurk, Jan 9, 2008.

?

How do you rate this venomous / Doomed story?

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

This story arc, re-uniting Bendis and Bagley for Bagley's final Marvel job before he's off to DC! After I find out what the real title of the arc is, I'll edit the title to reflect this ;)

MIGHTY AVENGERS #7

(Click to enlarge)

[​IMG]

WRITER: Brian Michael Bendis
    COVER: Frank Cho
    PENCILS: Mark bagley

THE STORY: The Ultimate Spider-Man super-team of Bendis and Bagley reunite and just in time for the Avengers’ biggest problem ever!!! A Venom virus hits the city of New York!! A Venom virus!! The entire city of New York turns symbiote. Plus, Wonder Man gets a much needed makeover. All this and Tony Stark.

Thoughts? What are your comments?

2. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

This is just what we need.
    One Venom is fabulous, but so many makes one:??????????

3. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

Why oh why must this book be so behind story-wise compared to the rest of the titles on the racks? It's just annoying to see Jessica with the Skrull at Tony's a half a year after the left with it in the pages of New Avengers, and to see the Mighty Avengers assemble to tackle the Venom threat in New York, while we already saw them doing that about three months ago, once again in NA :sad: I really hope this book can get back on schedule in time for Secret Invasion, so that the momentum isn't taken out of that story as well.
    The current story is still before WWH, right? :confused:

It's great to see Bagley grace these pages with his art, this man truly is one of the greats in the industry, I'm sad that he won't be staying long on the title, moving to DC and all.

So it appears that the Venom virus unleashed upon NY wasn't ordered by Dr. Doom, but was an accident with its origins in space? Okay....
    Though I don't agree with the way the symbiotes are being used lately in the Marvel Universe, Bagley always does a great job at them. Also, I think that on that symbiote splash page, on the lower left side, he was paying tribute to how he drew the Carnage symbiote back in the day! If you compare the eyes and mouth to the others, they're far less detailed :)

4. Miyamoto Musashi

Is this why Logan gets symbiotised?

5. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

So does anyone know how this series is going to be released? I mean they have to get it caught up with the rest of the MU so will they release it Bimonthly?

6. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

It's really annoying how we've already seen this storyline resolved in the pages of New Avengers and now we have to deal with it all over again. Was the schedule for this book so horribly behind that this all happened? It seemed like NA and MA should've been complimenting each other on a monthly basis and not playing the catch up game that we're now in.

7. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

MIGHTY AVENGERS #8

[​IMG]

PENCILS: Mark Bagley

THE STORY: It’s the Mighty Avengers versus the New Avengers who have been overtaken by a symbiote virus. So, yeah, it’s Avengers versus Avengers symbiotes!! Janet gets new powers!! And the Mighty Avengers declare war on a foreign country!! All this and Mark Bagley too!!

8. Miyamoto Musashi

New Avengers aren't members of the same original Mighty Avengers?
    Is Spider-Man among them or is this series affected by the BND virus? And if he is an avenger, is he infected or is it that with his history he remains immune to the infection?

9. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

Mighty Avengers = Pro-Registration
    New Avengers = Anti-Registration

After Civil War, Iron Man started up his own new team of Avengers [the Mighty Avengers], who are the "top team" in the 50 State Initiative. Seeing as Spider-Man was anti-registration, he's still with the New Avengers, though that title hasn't got to the point of BND yet.

10. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

MIGHTY AVENGERS #9

(Click to enlarge)

[​IMG]

THE STORY: DOCTOR DOOM!! The Avengers invade Latveria to take down Doctor Doom for his chemical attack on America. Only maybe it wasn't Doom exactly. It’s wall-to-wall mayhem as Mark Bagley joins Avengers writer Bendis in this globe–trotting spectacle filled with hints about next year’s SECRET INVASION!

11. Miyamoto Musashi

Marvel made too many symbiotes, they should really drop the idea of making more symbiote involved stories.
    Only SYmbiote Spider-Man and Todd McFarlane symbiote run were good. Now too many symbiote makes too much of a supposedly good thing and this is bad

12. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

I haven't read #9 yet, but hadn't commented on #8 yet, soooo:

Wow, this was a pretty fun issue! To sum up these fun things:
    - Ben Reilly was mentioned! Every time that happens, this little version of me in my mind does a happy dance :p
    - So one of the passwords for the Baxter Building is: MEPHISTOURICH4535OFG... what could that stand for? "Mephisto you rich asesofg"?? I can't figure out what the last bit should be...
    - The other password: Ed O'Neill; yay, Married... With Children reference :D
    - There was a symbiote bird. A symbiote bird... ha!

It sure is refreshing to see Bagley's pencils on this book... it makes me realize how much I actually miss him on USM, even though Immonen is doing an okay job over there. Imagine how it was to see him drawing 616 Black Suit Spidey here! That was pretty cool :)

I still think this storyline is a bit sketchy though, mainly because as far as I know, symbiotes don't take over one's body completely, moments after bonding with it, unless the Venom and Carnage symbiotes are just "different" [I do remember reading that the Venom symbiote was banished from its planet due to it feeling emotion or something though]. It could be argued that it does work this way on normal humans, as it went down the same way in that Planet of the Symbiotes Super Special mini-series back somewhere in the middle of the Clone Saga... but we had a lot of superheros possessed here, so that argument is shot down.
    I also found it a bit too convenient that Tony Stark just happened to be able to shake an antidote out of his sleave so quickly, as this is the first time they've faced the threat of a symbiote invasion.

Now I'm going to get out the issue of New Avengers which took place simultaneously with this issue, to compare things and stuff, because it feels like so long ago, I can't remember much of it.

13. Reed Richards

Reed Richards Mr. Fantastic

actually given how close Tony and peter once were, i dont doubt for a minute that Peter, Reed, and Tony sat down and devised an "anti-symbiote" device/formula to use in case Carnage/Venom/Other Symbiotes came calling...

14. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

MIGHTY AVENGERS #10

(Click to enlarge)

[​IMG]

THE STORY: Iron Man and the Sentry are stuck in the past with none other than Doctor Doom. Any interaction with anything or anyone could jeopardize the future of the Marvel Universe! Can Tony Stark trust Victor Von Doom to help get them back to the present before the Sentry has a complete meltdown? Guest starring the Fantastic Four's ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing!

15. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

Tony really doens't have much luck in this book, does he? So far, in both arcs he's been rendered incapacitated; first his body was taken over by Ultron, now he's been sent to another time period!

That was a pretty cool gimmick art-wise, having Doom, Iron Man and Sentry in the past, around late '80s, early '90s by the looks of it. The cool part about it was how they used the retro-colouring that was actually used back in the day and even gave the page lay-out the same look, down to the text lines at the bottom of each page [including "Continued after next page" when an advertisement was stuck in between pages] and the credits on the opening page for the creative team :)

#9 had a bit too many splash pages, but I'm glad that it was Bagley drawing them, as that makes it fun to study the pages and all the details he uses. His work remains a pleasure to look at and it'll be a shame to see him go after the next issue...

16. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

Too bad Mark Bagley'll be gone from Marvel grounds after this issue...

MIGHTY AVENGERS #11

(Click to enlarge)

[​IMG]

THE STORY: Get ready to see an Avengers/Doctor Doom knock-down drag-out! And we promise an ending you've never seen in the history of Doom! All this and the Secret Invasion is upon us! Marvel Comics says sayonara to longtime penciler Mark Bagley with this bombastic storyline!

17. spidl

spidl Active Member

I'm not a big Bagley fan, but I enjoyed the art in 9 a lot more than 8 which was just awful. As for issue 10 I thought the interplay between Iron Man and Dr. Doom was good, but everything else just feels like a gimmick. I like thought balloons, but Bendis's use of them is annoying. I still haven't seen a reason to care about the Sentry and this issue just re-enforced that idea.

18. En Sabah Nur

En Sabah Nur Apocalypse, The First One

This issue was great. Doom was actually afraid of Starks Extremis powers, but what scared him even more is Sentry. He is not just afraid of his power, but of his mind as well. You could see terror in his face when Sentry ripped his mask off. What got me even more curious, would have killed everyone he captured except for Ares. He is not willing not mess with Olympus gods. And man, Dr. Doom is in S.H.I.E.L.D. custody. Fury must be happy. After the Secret War in Latveria, Doom is finally in S.H.I.E.L.D. custody.

19. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Tony was kinda odd, not wanting anyone taking off his helmet and all and then Spider-Woman had that power boost that isn't documented anywhere. Looks like we have 2 possible Skrull plants on the team unless they're red herrings.

20. En Sabah Nur

En Sabah Nur Apocalypse, The First One

Tony didn't want his face place ripped of his head, since he is one with his armor, that would probably hurt, a lot, especially if Sentry does it. Spider-Woman isn't a Skrull because otherwise she would not bring Electra/Skrull's body to Iron Man.