1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Marvel Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Thread, Part 5 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tenderheartbear

tenderheartbear Active Member

I'm quite confident most (if not all) of the titles will see a release. I'll be surprised if they hit the street date but I doubt Revelation would have spent (X amount) to just have them gathering dust.

Let's face it, Liberation already paid for the BBFC fees, probably authoring costs (assuming the discs have been pressed), packaging costs, original rights issues and so on. I'd also assume Revelation got a good deal on the titles and see them as a cash-cow. Unless new distribution (probably through T.H.E. or Gold and Sons) proves cost prohibitive (unlikely) they'll hit the shelves/internet sooner or later.

New release dates have been given to Amazon and Play etc. so that must count for something right? Let's wait and see.

2. joltman

joltman Member

OK, so here's something new. I was just looking at the listings on Amazon UK again, and now the studio listed has been changed. Instead of Revelations, it is now Lace International. This includes the previously released sets as well as all of the yet to be released sets. Their website mentions they are a DVD publishing service provider, so maybe there's a deal between Revelation and Lace? Interestingly, they list some of the Jetix Marvel releases on their site (various Marvel Superheroes releases, Iron Man 90's, Avengers). However, their website does not appear to list any of the Liberation/Revelation titles right now.

3. tenderheartbear

That's interesting...

Lace seem to be more of a supplier/distributor of other people's releases as opposed to a manafacturer, if that makes sense?

On a positive note, many of their releases make their way to supermarket 'bargain bins', certainly Thor, Sub-Mariner, Conan, RoboCop, Care Bears etc. can be found in Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Asda. The titles carry the logos of their respective owners so possibly the packaging might be left alone. The Marvel titles they have are easily found in (larger) HMV and Zavvi stores.

Yet again, we have to wait and see.

4. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Member

Call me pessimistic about this whole thing, but with the 4 setbacks I've already had for the 1982 Hulk Series, I think this is going to be yet another one. It's not hard to ask for this DVD set is it? I just want to relive my childhood! ARGGHHHH

5. RydermanUK

RydermanUK Member

I hope Lace are only distributing on behalf of Revelation, because they are a truly awful company.

What with not releasing the final third discs of the 60s Marvel Superheroes series and Avengers, and then releasing complete boxsets, forcing us to buy the first 9 episodes of each series twice, and then theres the faulty Iron Man TAS boxsets, I've emailed them so many times to see what they plan on doing about it (and I'm sure many of you have done the same), but never get a response, they clearly have no regard for their customers at all.

I'm not happy about this news at all, I've even resisted buying their Robocop and Transformers boxsets, just because I don't like the company, and don't wish to put my money in their pockets.

Has anyone here ever managed to get a response from this company?

6. chator

chator Member

reply to topic

I just recently received X-men S1,V2 in the mail. When i purchased it from the Amazon uk website, it was listed as coming from Revelation films, but the packaging on the product didn't bear any marking reflecting that. It had Liberation as the production studio. So my guess is that Lace is merely the distributor. This is bad news as this means that Lace will simply be releasing the titles already produced and packaged by Liberation. So depending on how far into their release schedule they were in production, we're likely to only see those products. This throws into jeopardy not only the series' they were planning to release beyond their February 09 listing, but even those intended to be released in February. We'll have to wait another week to find out.

7. Spider-Friends

Spider-Friends www.spider-friends.com

From what tenderheartbear had said about Lace, I assumed this is going to be what happened. The good news is, since Lace is just a distributor, we'll be getting the announced titles sooner rather than later. I'll just be glad to get SM&HAF produced by Liberation instead of rolling the dye on what Revelation may have put out. I've got my fingers crossed...but I still don't feel good about all of this.

8. RydermanUK

RydermanUK Member

There's no need to beleive that this is an indication of a problem, Revelation is a small company, and i'm pretty sure if they have bought any already produced stock from Liberation, that it would be cost prohibitive to re-brand the stock.
    With any luck, Revelation may have employed some of the 12 members of staff that lost their jobs when Liberation UK closed, to continue with the Marvel contract, I just wish the company would clue us in.

#108 RydermanUK, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  9. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

What I really want to know is why is it only these small, piss-poor indie labels which have any clue that these cartoons have any profitability making potential? Why doesn't a large dvd company who actually has the money and means to properly distribute and promote these pick the rights up? I'm still mad as hell that all the inexcusable rights issues in America are all fudged up but why isn't any of the bigger companies who have offices overseas picking these up? It's like the Marvel catalogue is simply too much of a responsibility for these little indie companies to handle.
    Jack

10. kaijubotx

kaijubotx New Member

Hey, just recently joined the forums to get in on this thread. I'm really hoping all the Marvel shows see the light of day, but....does anyone know if Liberation is associated with Morningstart Ent. in Canada? I've been waiting to order some of the Canadian region 1 releases, but they seem to have started showing as "temporarily out of stock" on their release days.

Fantastic Four - The Impossible Man is showing as in stock, but Spider-Woman vs. the Fly, Spider-Man vs. Dr. Octopus,
    Heroes gift set and Villains gift set are all MIA.

11. RydermanUK

RydermanUK Member

The curse of Marvel strikes again!

When the Liberation titles were first announced, I was overjoyed and told my better half the good news, the response i got was "Don't get your hopes up, you know what usually happens with your Marvel stuff" Nuff Said.

As for liberation and Morningstar being connected, I very much doubt it, the announced Canadian titles appear to be re-releases of VHS's from 20 yrs ago.

12. kaijubotx

kaijubotx New Member

Yes, that's exactly it, DVD releases of the old Marvel Comics Video Library VHS tapes. I was hoping to get some 80's Spider-Man episodes with these. The 2 gift sets had a release date of 11/4. It seemed strange that Marvel DVD's would disappear from both sides of the Atlantic at about the same time.

13. Spider-Friends

Spider-Friends www.spider-friends.com

They are not connected at all.

That's right but you need to be aware that they are made DIRECTLY from the VHS tapes, so the quality is only as good as VHS.

14. tenderheartbear

I'm guessing those of us that have preordered Spider-Man & HAF and The Incredible Hulk etc. will find out in the next day or two whether they'll be released on time if we get confirmation/cancelled emails from Play and Amazon.

I'm hopeful, but not confident. I still believe many of them, certainly ones that have been produced and sitting in warehouses, will come out, it's just a matter of when. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the bargin bins in Asda and Morrisons with no fanfare whatsoever.

15. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Member

If the release date is this Monday, am I right in thinking these will ship from play.com to us on Saturday OR will they ship on Monday?

16. tenderheartbear

They'll ship whenever Play has them in hand. My Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk (to remain Marvel themed) both shipped on a Wednesday and arrived on Friday and Saturday respectively.

17. NayokoKihara

NayokoKihara Member

I imagine someone here would be at least slightly interested in this.

I don't think ToonZone has reported it in it's News. I leave submitting it to someone else, seeing as I don't really know how. :sweat: (And I'm sure with my luck, it's an extremely simple process.)

18. Danzigg

Danzigg Member

Just an update for you folks, contacted Rev Films and got the same std response everyone else got, not happy so I've asked when more information will be released and if all the unreleased titles from Lib Ent will be released Monday.
    I also contacted Lace they do not have the Marvel titles so have no plans to release them, so it looks like it's solely Rev Films, will let you know more when I find out.
    I have the Spider-Man AHAF Complete Series & Hulk'82 pre ordered from play so will let you know if they are shipped in the next 2 days.

I'm trying to be optimistic but fear another big ol' let down coming.

19. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Member

My feelings exactly, mate. If I don't get my DVD on Monday the air will turn blue.

20. Dufus

Dufus Member

Got mail from some boss at Discshop.se (Swedens largest DVD store) and he said if the release was to be delayed, they should have been contacted by now, and he's counting for their shipment of Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends to come tomorrow or sunday.

He hadn't heard anything about The Incredible Hulk 1982 series yet though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.