1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Marvel Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Thread, Part 5 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tenderheartbear

tenderheartbear Active Member

This was true even back in the old VHS days. In the UK we saw several series released on VHS 2/3 episodes at a time which then stopped to become season sets, The X-Files for example or stopped entirely (mid season) Lois and Clark, Darkskies, Millennium.

Liberation made a bit of a mistake by letting people know full boxsets were coming, maybe some of us were holding out. On the other hand, do casual buyers really know what's going on? I doubt it.

2. RydermanUK

RydermanUK Member

Sorry to go a bit Off-topic, but I spotted a few references that the Disney Fantastic Four boxset is riddled with cuts, just wondered if anyone could clarify which 11 episodes are cut.
    I've watched the set several times and not spotted any cuts, but if they are second season season episodes that are cut they are probably the same versions that I taped (many years ago) from FoxkidsUK (now JetixUK).
    If anyone has any idea of the cuts, i would really appreciate the info.
    Cheers

3. Spider-Friends

Spider-Friends www.spider-friends.com

GREAT to see you posting here, BCI Guy!

I've seen the sales data and know that complete seasons outsell the smaller sets. (I don't think I claimed they didn't.) The smaller sets are additional sales to a property though. If I were one of these companies and I could make 1x selling the smaller sets then 8x selling the complete series down the road, I would do that over simply getting 8x for the complete series. I think Joe's point was to abandon the smaller sets entirely. If the companies can make an extra 10% by selling the smaller sets, so be it. In Liberation's case, I wish they had done it without announcing the complete seasons were coming. (A case of being "too nice", I think.) They obviously needed the additional income.

4. BCI Guy

BCI Guy Member

Right, but you have to be careful - you can lose money on those single disc releases. Especially if retailers over order, making you overproduce and then you get a bunch of excess inventory in the form of returns. It's a delicate balance.

That said, it was an absolutely horrible idea to announce Complete Series sets at the same time as individual seasons and to have the streets dates being so close.

5. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually, situation might be a little worse than that.

Credit crisis is having a real hard hit on the UK DVD industry. Troubles for one of the UK's major distributors is creating a knock on effect that is making it hard for the DVD companies to get their product out there and of course, that is causing themselves financial strain. So at the moment, it's not just direct sales that might be the problem but the actual internal mechanics of the UK industry itself. Not good for animation which doesn't tend to carry a large market or companies running large budgets.

6. tenderheartbear

The single disc idea is an interesting point. I'd actually prefer a 'best of' release rather than a single disc with the first 7 episodes for example. Obviously whole seasons win every time.

A 'best of' release doesn't offer false hope. You're not expecting anything more so you have to decide if you want the highlights or nothing at all (assuming no boxset is coming). That's one of the annoying things about the Disney releases of The Incredible Hulk, Ultimate Villian Showdown and Vs. Dr. Octopus etc. It's annoying when you get say, 6 episodes of Sins of the Father or Neogenic Nightmare but not the rest. It's almost tantilising close to full season (3) releases when you own them all.

Announcing full seasons isn't always a bad thing. I knew that whole collection sets were coming but chose to by Spider-Man &HAF Season 1 and Fantastic Four Season 1 regardless, happy to pick up further volumes as they were (hopefully still are) released.

7. BCI Guy

BCI Guy Member

The Best of He-man DVD we put out did phenomenally well - despite what most people expected. But it was also the first time any He-Man had been available on DVD ever and the first time a lot of people could see the show in 20+ years. Plus we loaded it with brand new features that would never be available in any of the upcoming Season sets. That said, most "Best ofs" and single discs don't do well.

I agree, but you have to time it smartly. Like we know that a complete Spectacular Spider-Man set will eventually come out, or that we knew Hellboy and Sin City would both later be getting more extensive SEs. But don't announce a complete series to come out weeks after a single season (or disc) release. You are giving your consumers a HUGE reason not to buy the first release.

8. tenderheartbear

A very interesting point. We know that sales of home entertainment products, including DVDs are up year on year. During a 'credit crunch' people stay at home more but then need entertaining within those four walls. Once the product is in the shops it should sell well.

As you say, the issue could be getting it there. I know the likes of Woolworths get their released via T.H.E. maybe it's them you speak of.

I think another issue when it comes to the Marvel titles is that it's all well and good having them in HMV and Zavvi (at vastly inflated prices) but for 'kids' titles, Liberation needed to get them into Woolworths and WHSmiths where parents will see them. Even The Incredible Hulk: Season 1 Volume 1 could be found in Tesco and Asda for £7 on release. It's a battleground in the kids section in HMV that these titles get lost among hundreds of Power Rangers, Scooby-Doo! and Shrek re-releases.

9. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

First off, Hi BCI guy. let me just say I've loved all the stuff that you guys have done and wish/hope that some day whenever the Marvel animated series get the rights strightened out I hope that BCI gets them becuase you guys have done an amazing job with your privious releases.

I think that "Best of" releases can be a very good thing especially if it's a series that people don't really remember like for instance BCI's best of for Bravstarr, I had no real memories of this cartoon and was very impressed with it when I got to watch and decided to pic up the future releases for the series.

And as BCI guy mentioned we've already known about Spectacular Spider-Man getting a full season release and these days, some movies get release in several different versions all on the same day. And some movies get re-released over and over again like Evil Dead and Halloween.

10. BCI Guy

BCI Guy Member

Thanks! We'd love to have the Marvel cartoons. It's too bad Disney doesn't have (or can't license) the rights to them anymore, because we have a very good relationship with them.

I wish more people felt like you did about "Best of Bravestarr". It's a really nice set, but it unfortunately tanked.

11. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

When are Sony going to get their act together and officially announce the DVD release of The Spectacular Spiderman: Rise of the Supervillains? It's apparently due out in february, yet it's already november and still no word!

12. Danzigg

Danzigg Member

I've noticed that all those deleted marvel dvds are back listed as either coming out on the 10th November (strangely the ones already released) and everything else we are aware of being released on the 24th November, lets wait and see.

13. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Member

Yeah Danzigg, I noticed that on Amazon a few days back but after seeing your post, I checked play.com and typed in Hulk 1982... looks like that page is back with the release date of the 24th! Looks like we're all going to be happy, I'll get my Hulk DVD and everyone else will get what they want! Brilliant. As for the stuff that's released on the 10th, maybe they're re-releasing stuff under the Revelation label?

14. tenderheartbear

There are still a few titles that haven't been updated (yet), but it is at least looking a lot more promising. Play did indeed remove The Incredible Hulk 1982 from the site and now it's back so we'll just have to wait and see.

Is it worth Revelation rebranding the packaging (assuming it's already been done), I doubt it. I hope it'll at least match, it'd be easy to swap the Liberation logo I suppose and (if you're reading Revelation) [please] leave the rest of the design alone.

Let's just see if and when these start appearing in the shops and through letter boxes. Fingers crossed.

15. Monarch

Monarch Smirkpocalypse

I just recently transferred all of my old Marvel Action Hour/Universe tapings of FF & IM from ancient original run VHSes to DVD, with the intent of comparing them to the official releases. I'll let you know, in detail, what I find (aside from how much I secretly love the first season theme song. Yes. I said it and I'm proud. :evil: )

16. Dufus

Dufus Member

Can't see them atm coz the website is crashed but yesterday I saw confirmed releasedates for Spider-Man And Friends Complete Series box at Discshop.se. (Swedens biggest DVD-seller.)

They don't add products unless they have gotten it confirmed with distributor, and this listing was added a couple of days ago.

Furthermore, the specifications seems to be the same as what Liberation planned to release. (Atleast containing same subtitle and audiotracks.)

Will get back with exact date when the page gets up if you're interested?

17. RydermanUK

RydermanUK Member

Thanks Monarch, I sure would appreciate it, but theres no need to be ultra specific on my account, I've just got a feeling that I've never seen uncut versions of the second series.

Just checked Play.com and spotted that the SMAHAF season 1 boxset is listed as "pre-order" with todays date as the release date, so I doubt any of the titles are going to make their release dates (especially Silver Surfer, which originally wasn't due until February 09).

I was also wondering if the DVDs are being distributed by Revelation on behalf of Liberation US, or if they are indeed being re-released by this company, if this is the case I would expect any re-branding to take place in the form of stickers on any already produced stock, I can't imagine this small company destroying all of the discs and packaging thats already been produced just to place their logos on it, Just a thought.

18. joltman

joltman Member

On Amazon UK, of the 7 titles that were released by Liberation, all but Hulk S1P2 are now listed as in stock, and were previously listed as a a pre-order for today.

19. PirateBeck

PirateBeck Member

Ironic you mention the Sliver Surfer, since Amazon lists it as coming out in two weeks time. Source: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Surf...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1226345879&sr=1-1

Also, Hulk Season 1 Part 2 has been relisted.

20. RydermanUK

RydermanUK Member

Amazon seems to automatically list titles as "in stock" on the day of release, they also did this with the Fantastic Four 78 series when that was listed with the wrong date, personally I don't listen to Amazon until the other sellers like play.com, HMV and Zavvi list items as being in stock.

Also, Play.com is now listing the SMAHAF- Triumph of the Green Goblin (Woolworths Exclusive) with a (presumably fictional) 24 November release date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.