1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Marvel Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Thread, Part 5 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

It's time for the 5th installment of the Marvel Animation DVD News Thread, folks! This is the place to post all DVD and Blu-ray news and comments! Want the latest news? Well, keep reading this thread!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hulk Versus (DVD and Blu-ray) - Release Date: January 27th, 2009

For the latest news, check out the newest posts in this thread!

To check out the newest information, look for the newest post in this thread for any updates. For the latest information on what's coming to DVD and Blu-ray from the Animated Marvel Universe, check out the links below:

-Marvel Animation Age
    -Toon Zone News

Archive:
    The Official Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 4
    The Official Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 3
    The Official Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 2
    The Official Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 1

Note #1: Please mark any spoilers appropriately.

Note #2: Please keep this topic, and the discussion found within, on-topic. Thank you.

2. Spider-Friends

Spider-Friends www.spider-friends.com

3. joltman

joltman Member

My wife's gonna kill me, but I just bit the bullet and ordered SMAHAF S1, X-Men S1V1+2, Hulk S1V2 (already have 1) as well as the Tick complete collection on Amazon UK, since they are all by Liberation. $85 according to xe.com, anyone want to tell my wife I just spent that on cartoons for me?

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Did that include S&H ?
    $85 seems like a decent sum to me but then again I don't have anyone to explain my spending habits to

I hope something works out with this Liberation situation. As a marvel Animation fanatic, I feel almost cursed.

5. Danzigg

Danzigg Member

I already bought Season One of Spider-Man & HAF today and will buy the other titles tonight. I just hope this is not one of the reason the company went bust. I suppose it's posible the rights within the UK could be sold to another UK company, but not anytime soon. Our best hope now is for a US comapny to get the rights.

Feels like back to square one. (and I did'nt even get the Hulk 1982 boxset..Sob)

6. TheAmazingIceman

TheAmazingIceman Spider-Friend

Just when I thought the day couldn't get any worse. This is even worse news than the limited release of the 20th Anniversary MST3K Collection being sold out. I just ordered the Complete Spider-Friends Season 1 and X-Men Season 1 parts 1 and 2 from Amazon UK, at least I will have those in my collection. We really need to band together and find out who has the rights to all the series here in the states. Maybe we can get the guy in charge of TVshowsondvd.com on the case. If anyone could find out maybe he could. Thanks for the update SF.

#6 TheAmazingIceman, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
  7. Spider-Friends

I'm having one of those days myself!

I agree. That really needs to be a priority of their website. They did an excellent job of getting the information out about the 60's Batman TV series. On their unreleased DVD rankings, X-Men is #9, Spider-Man: TAS is #29, and Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends is #68.

8. akuma632

akuma632 Member

info is from www.dvdsuperheroes.co.uk that links to www.hmv.com

availability: in stock

Spiderman & His Amazing Friends: Complete Season 1.: 2dvd
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=806840

Spiderman & His Amazing Friends: Complete Season 1.: 2dvd: Hmv Exclusive
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=877766

Incredible Hulk (1996): Season 1: Volume 2
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=285;5;-1;-1&sku=806830

X-men: Season 1: Volume 1
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=806844

X-men: Season 1: Volume 2
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=806847

availability: deleted :crying:
    Spiderman & His Amazing Friends: Complete Season 2/3: 2dvd
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=846251

Spiderman & His Amazing Friends: Complete Season 2/3: 2dvd: Hmv Exclusive
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=878154

Spiderman & His Amazing Friends: Complete Season 1/2/3: 4dvd
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=846255

Incredible Hulk (1996): Season 1: Volume 1
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=285;5;-1;-1&sku=806829

Incredible Hulk (1996): Complete Season 2
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=285;5;-1;-1&sku=806826

Incredible Hulk (1996): Complete Season 1/2: 3dvd
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=285;5;-1;-1&sku=846283

X-men: Season 2: Volume 1
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=846253

X-men: Season 2: Volume 2
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=846286

X-men: Complete Season 1/2: 4dvd
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=846289

9. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

I am very saddened by this news, but I am not too surprised. I was extremely puzzled by how the X-Men dvd sets were not selling very well on Amazon.co.uk. I never once saw any of those sets get above the 500 (top selling dvds) mark. People either had no idea that they were out (and lets face it, the marketing/advertising was pretty piss poor) or they kept holding out for the boxsets. I couldn't believe it when I saw people still complaining that they weren't releasing them as full season sets. I was perfectly happy with the seasons being split up the way they were. I feel sorry, yet angry for those who still feel that wasn't "good enough".

Another thing that really hurt them is how they made these dvds region coded. Had they just released these sets in Region 0, that would have been FAR more appealing for the fans in America (where the biggest audience for these cartoons is at, no less). So they completely neglected the target audience in this case, and that hurt them very badly on sales. I, myself, hated only being able to watch these on my computer or on the one dvd player (out of 6!) that was able to hacked and made Region 0.

What else is there to say? Until Marvel makes a VERY serious attempt to find out what is going on with the rights to THEIR OWN shows, then they (along with all their newly released craptastic movies/animated movies) can collectively burn in the pits of hell for all I care. There is NO excuse (NONE!!) for them or any other company in America not being able to find out who owns what. If rights are truly that complicated and easily messed up then I would place whoever first invented "copyrights" right next to the world's worst criminals/terrorists on my list of people who I loathe the most.
    Jack

Mod Note: Watch the language

10. joltman

joltman Member

I think we need to remember that Liberation did more than just release Marvel on DVD. Not only did they release other stuff on DVD, but they also produced stuff and licensed stuff to TV, so I don't think there's any reason to believe that it was specifically the Marvel stuff that closed them down, it could be there other ventures that weren't doing good enough.

11. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

In lieu of any sort of official news from Liberation US, I did a little digging on the BBFC's video classification website, and the following titles were all listed as being completely rated for release on behalf of Liberation UK:

Fantastic Four (1978) complete series
    Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends seasons 2/3
    X-Men season 2
    Incredible Hulk (1996) season 2
    Fantastic Four (1994) season 2
    Incredible Hulk (1982) complete series
    Silver Surfer complete series
    Spider-Woman episodes 1-4
    Spider-Man (1967) season 1

This shows that, if nothing else, Liberation UK were planning well ahead, as each one of these would have cost £75 per production and £6 per minute to be rated by the BBFC, which going by the listed running times comes to a total of about £14,838 (roughly $23,000 at this time of writing), a not inconsiderable investment.

I'd hate to think Liberation pumped at least this much money into so many potential Marvel DVD releases, only to abruptly pull the plug at the last minute (almost literally in Amazing Friends' case). Hopefully Liberation US may have something to say on this whole matter at some point.

12. Danzigg

Danzigg Member

I'm still gutted about this, but as I said before to put it in perspective 12 people lost there jobs and from what potential they showed they had the passion to deliver what the fans want.

You know is it out of realms of possibility that another supplier could buy the rights and release them and maybe even re-release (new packaging) as it sounds like a lot of the leg work was already done?

I don't think this over, as for example Play/HMV/Amazon could "Exclusivly" release these, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled on HMV.

Other than this the best hope is for these to be released in th U.S. , If anything this proves that there is interest and a demand for these titles.

I guess also the planned Wolverine & the X-Men DVD release will have to find a new supplier (maybe they may be interested in the other Marvel Titles).

If they do release/re-release complete series/seasons I think are the best way to proceed, what do you think?

13. Spider-Friends

We've all panicked and jumped to conclusions here. I received a response back from someone at the US branch of Liberation. He said that he had nothing that he could report to me because he doesn't know anything yet. No one does. They are having meetings about what to do with the Liberation UK acquisitions (including the Marvel cartoons). He said he would let us know something as soon as he can.

So let's not all assume the worst. The Marvel cartoons are a very valuable property. I can't see them letting that go. My personal opinion is that the closing of the UK branch is simply a way for the company to cut back in these hard economic times. I expect that the US branch will pick up the work the UK branch was doing.

14. Joe Wagner

Joe Wagner The one, true Scarlet Spider!

It could be a consolidation, but any move to bring these shows to the US is going to have to deal with the inevitable rights issues. Considering that I don't think the Marvel vs Disney suit was ever settled or completed, I would believe these rights are still very much up in the air.

Considering this most recent development, I still wonder how companies haven't figured out that complete sets are teh way to go. How many times do we need to get a partial release of the same episodes over and over again before someone finally realizes that a majority of the fans of these shows are waiting for complete season or series sets. I'm still amazed that these companies have failed to realize this after all this time - even the WB hasn't figured out that complete sets of Legion of Super-Heroes, Static Shock, and the Zeta Project would sell. Wake up companies!

-Joe!

15. Spider-Friends

You missed my point. I'm not talking about releasing them in the US. The US branch of Liberation can easily assume the work of the UK branch if they choose to do so. That ONLY means releasing the Marvel cartoons in the same multi-territory deal (i.e., the UK, Germany, etc.) that the UK branch was doing the work for. Just because Liberation is now solely located in the US doesn't change the fact that they have the rights to release the Marvel cartoons in the same places they were releasing them before.

When it comes down to it, fans are a small percentage of sales. It is the casual buyer that makes up the majority of the sales. Do you think a mother who's 7 year old son wants a Spider-Man DVD is more inclined to buy the $9.99 set with 4 episodes or a COMPLETE SERIES set for $29.99? I guarantee you it is the $9.99 set. There's a reason US companies have been releasing the smaller sets first for a while: because statistics show that's what works.

Frankly, I think Liberation UK erred in letting it be known that complete series releases were coming. I don't think ANYONE on this board bought the SM&HAF season 1 release when it came out because we all knew the Complete Series was coming out a month later. If they hadn't let it be known there was a complete series release, we would have bought the individual sets. And then, if they released a complete series set a year down the line with special features including a Dan Gilvezan interview...we would have bought that too! With the closing of Liberation's UK branch, it's pretty clear that profit margins must be pretty darn slim, so let's all get use to the fact that these companies NEED to make as much money as possible and accept what works.

16. Spider-Friends

Current Rankings for Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends season 1 on Amazon.co.uk:

Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 290
    #3 in DVD > Children's > Ages 9-11 > Characters & Series > Other Characters
    #4 in DVD > Children's > Ages 5-8 > Characters & Series > Other Characters
    #5 in DVD > Children's > Animation

:eek: I wish I knew what they were a few days ago for comparison, although FlawedCoil82 said he never saw any of them get above 500 in Sales Rank. Here's X-Men Season one Part one:

Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 1,343 in DVD
    #7 in DVD > Children's > Ages 9-11 > Characters & Series > Other Characters
    #12 in DVD > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Animated
    #22 in DVD > Children's > Animation

17. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

Sorry for the confusion. I was going by the sales rank though.

18. Danzigg

Danzigg Member

Thanks for the update it's reassuring to know it's not all doom and gloom I guess If all goes well we may see these titles in 2009.

I've also just received an e-mail from the Director of Operations at Lib Ent in the U.S. whilst they don't have news yet (which is understandable) they hope to provide more information in the future.

So we will have to see what happens next, I'm feeling more optimistic now, Yay.

19. akuma632

akuma632 Member

I'm feeling more optimistic now too, lets all keep our figures crossed!!!

20. TheAmazingIceman

TheAmazingIceman Spider-Friend

Just giving you guys a heads up I got a email about the Silver Surfer set from amazon uk and it shows that its set to ship in November. It is probably just an over site but its probably worth looking into. I just thought it was weird that the surfer set wasn't canceled along with the rest of the sets I pre-ordered. It is probably just a matter of time until it gets canceled though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.