1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Magic School Bus is getting rebooted by Netflix

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by PowerZord, Jun 11, 2014.

1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Trailer is out.

#61 PinkiePie97, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

^ I KNEW IT! It's being made in flash animation instead of CGI!

3. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

It's neat they got Lily Tomlin to reprise the role of the original Frizzle, at least.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

The art style reminds me of Dora and Friends in the City (can't remember the title) or Daniel Tiger. I wonder if kids will take to it.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The character designs seem uninspired, but then again the originals weren't that stellar either, at least for its time.
    I've revisited the original series over the years, and it's a little too juvenile for me to enjoy now. And this does as well.
    Honestly I don't know who this is targeted towards. Maybe they'll pull an MLP, and this show can be enjoyed by the whole family. But I seriously doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Eek!Swimmer1623

Eek!Swimmer1623 New Member

I used to love watching the original Magic School Bus back in Elementary School where my Science teacher would play it during class. I loved the educational value, Carlos' cheesy puns, and the locations they went to. It really made learning easier for me at that age. It was one of my favorite PBS Kids shows (and Fox Kids shows since it aired reruns on there) back then.

Looking back, it can be a bit cheesy sometimes, but I am the kind of guy who likes cheesy stuff seeing as I love those corny Video Game Cartoons (like Mario, Adventures of Sonic, Captain N, Zelda), so I do enjoy that.

It's one of those shows where the theme song is my favorite thing though. That theme song is so catchy and the updated theme song for the new show is awesome. First DuckTales gets an awesome updated theme song and now Magic School Bus? Awesome.

I am probably going to check it out eventually. I am going to be pretty busy in late September. I hope it is a great reboot.

7. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Are the new kids supposed to be the kids from the original?

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So...not a huge fan of the animation style, but I am stoked that they brought back Lily Tomlin as the original Frizzle. During the trailer, I thought it sounded like her..and the ending confirmed it.

But is this meant to be a reboot...or a sequel?

9. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Since the original kids in the old show looked like child versions of the Planeteers, now that they've presumably grown up they have basically become them. In other words if the old show was like a prequel to Captain Planet in that regard, this new one could be like a teaser for the upcoming new Captain Planet show with things coming full circle :D

10. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

To be honest, flash would look better with this show rather than CGI.

11. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I don't know about Kate McKinnon as Felicity Frizzle, and I don't think Lori Tomlin herself as aged well for the original Friz either; plus the animation looks rather cheap, as is the main theme song. But regardless it does look like a fun return of a classic series.

12. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Never mind. It's still coming September 29. Netflix took down the original video and uploaded a fixed version.

13. Carlos Gutierrez

Since Kate McKinnon is voicing Fiona and that Lily Tomlin is reprising the role of the original Ms. Frizzle, who's voicing the students?

14. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Looks like a sequel.

Yeah, I can't imagine them doing decent special effects with CGI.

15. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I really don't like the voice acting for Ms. Fizzle her voice sounds the opposite of what you would expect, It really does lack energy unfortunately.

16. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

At least it's not in cheap CGI, but being in Flash isn't doing it much favors, either (even if the character designs look better than the old show - to me, anyway.). I don't see it winning anyone over who liked the original cartoon.

IMHO, All that matters is if it can be entertaining to its core audience without much drama from the nostalgia buffs who you know are gonna whine about it...

I might watch a couple episodes, regardless - maybe they'll do something on a level I could appreciate that I didn't of the original show.

17. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

It's the same voice actress. I guess it's because she's gotten older.

18. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the character designs are some of the worst aspects of the animation. Everyone looks soulless and the kids suffer from a bad case of sameface. At least the original show knew that kids aren't just clones of one another with different skin tones and clothes. It's honestly kinda creepy how same-y they all look. This show came out 20 something years after the original but somehow the animation is worse. What's with all these recent reboots using this cheap Flash animation that looks like it belongs in 2004?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

The only real reason to be doing this is to update information that has been proven wrong and/or is dated, especially if this is staying true to what the original was and being a simple, but actually fun and somewhat engaging edu-tainment show for the little folks (that adults can also watch, too.) out there.

Too bad from how it looks & moves - it just screams bad cash grab.

...And so, Voltron and Castlevania (both 2 shows I need to see more of, BTW) continue to be Netflix's best, in terms of animation worth a damn to check out, as of late. Even if they do do something right and use this reboot to update old and/or now-proven-false information, this show still looks and feels a bit too bland for its own good.

20. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Has anybody seen any of it? I watched about half of the first episode. The flash animation is terrible. I think the original had better animation and it was from 20 years ago! Also they got rid of Phoebe and replaced her with a new girl named Jody (sp?). I guess they thought there were too many white kids. *gets shot*Also I didn't watch this one, but there was an episode that involved selfies as a major plot point. So yeah... Overall it was nothing I'm interested in seeing again although it can be educational for younger kids.