1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Magic School Bus is getting rebooted by Netflix

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by PowerZord, Jun 11, 2014.

1. PowerZord

PowerZord It's time to change.

Hardly watched the original back then. I guess this one will feature blogs, phones, ipads, etc.

Netflix Orders 'Magic School Bus' Reboot - /Film

2. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Well, I think that the new show will be a massive upgrade on the original, like what you already said.
    And I watched a little bit of the original.

3. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I actually watched quite a lot of the original series (don't know how many episodes but at least a dozen or so) and if it's done right I'd be all for them adapating it. Not only since it was actually enjoyable while being infromative but becuase there's new lessons you could teach kids now and if it helps them out like I'm sure the original did, that would be great. Plus hey it seems like they are bringing back the original characters. Okay obviously with the CGI and talk of updating their technology but hey that would actually fit with the aesthic as MSB was about kids of it's time learning lessons, so the same should be true of a revamp. Plus as long as the characters are their same self (you know arnold the wimpy one etc) that's not really anything worth complaining about.

4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I actually like this idea. TBH I doubt i would ever watch the new series, the original was one of my absolute faves back in early elementary school. Although I feel that it has little rewatch value as a adult, I still think it is great for teaching young kids about science. Since some of the episodes are rather dated, I think a reboot is great.

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, they can't possibly make it worse than PBS did. I'm sorry, but the original was full of clever humor, which was completely absent in the show. They seemed to think the books were popular because kids liked the idea of a magic school bus. We didn't; that part was dorky -- we liked the JOKES. The show had no jokes! At least, no good ones.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Magic School Bus was up there as one of my favorite cartoons of all time as a kid. But I've learned in an embarassing situation in middle school, that this show DOES NOT hold up.
    Whatever new version gets made, I likely won't watch it.

7. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

Cool. I liked watching the show when I was a kid. The Magic School Bus and Bill Nye the Science Guy taught me about science before I learned it in school. I knew about the books, but I thought they were based on the show instead of the other way around. I haven't watched the old show in years, but I'll take a peek at what the new show is like so I can know what kids these days will be learning from it.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's pretty cool. I remember enjoying the original series. It was fun, informative and had some funny moments too. I might check this out for the heck of it.

9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I probably liked the books and original series a little more than I should have. An update for a property like this could really work though I just have to wonder what will be done that wasn't already done. Hopefully, it will at least look good. The Carlos meme could use some new screencaps.

10. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Will it be cgi or traditional 2d animation?

11. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Not sure if it will be one thing or another.

12. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

My best friend's two kids love The Magic School Bus episodes they watch on Netflix. They'll probably enjoy this as much or more.Not so sure how I feel about it going 3D though.

13. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

If it's in CGI, I know it's going to get hate before it even airs, when the real worries should be in how this reboot adapts to modern times, as well as if the characters re - introduced to us will be any more likable than they were in the old show. THOSE are the things to worry about in how this show turns out, NOT if it's in CGI.

BTW, Peter Paltridge, I've got something important to ask you, regarding your post here...
    What show is this you're talking about? I want to see it for myself.

#13 I.R. Shokew, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
  14. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

The Magic School Bus had a television series on PBS Kids all the way back in the '90s. Peter wasn't a fan of it apparently. I never saw it, so don't ask for my thoughts.

15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, I LOVED the original series as a kid. I'm not sure I like this CG angle.

Also, I hope they can get someone as good as Tomlin to voice Frizzle, Tomlin was iconic in the role.

16. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Yeah, I asked the wrong person on this one - sorry about that. I'll be fixing that comment up I made now.

17. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

As long as the animation is good, I don't care if this show is 2D or CG.

18. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

The longevity the first show has had is mighty impressive given the field it draws inspiration from dates quickly. An update is overdue.

19. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I caught a few episodes of The Magic School Bus on TV, and I glimpsed at one of the books when my younger brother borrowed it from the library when he was a kid. I was never married to the show because I was too old for it (I was ages beyond grade school during the show's heyday), so the shift to CGI doesn't faze me. Given MSB popularity, I'm surprised it took this long for someone to try to revive it.

20. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

The memes this thing spawned, boy.