1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Loud House - "Episodes 88 - 91" Talkback Thread [9/18/17 - 9/21/17]

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by ToonJay723, Sep 17, 2017.

?

Favorite Episode This Week

1. Future Tense

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Yes Man

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Friend or Faux

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. No Laughing Matter

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Friend or Faux? (Mid High Tier) - Not bad for a Lisa - focused segment, but nothing I'm in too much of a hurry to watch multiple times, either - then again, that's because what we're getting here isn't as hilarious to me as the last 2 times Lisa got focused on, IMHO.

However, getting serious for a moment, a Lisa - focused segment where she actually doesn't mentally/partially physically (Making The Grade) or physically (Snow Bored) hurt other characters without doing much, only to come off as unlikable, has yet to truly be pulled off - at least until now with this segment, as she is actually forced unto a situation where she actually has to act like a proper human being, rather than some book-smart archetype who severely lacks any real street smarts.

It may have been funny in those 2 examples I mentioned, but here's why I feel that way:
    Making The Grade: Lincoln shouldn't have tried to ask Lisa to change into something that she's not, so seeing him suffer in that segment was hilarious and really cathartic in a way - especially Lisa's line about "getting the whole package" that is her character. Point is, if she changes anything about herself - it'll be by her own hand! I don't aim to watch cartoons for their moral - pushing, but that was a good note to conclude said segment on, IMHO.

Snow Bored: Well, seeing her go crazy on snow days like that (e.g.: actually having fun, especially like a kid her age should, even if just to keep her ass in shape!) shows there's something more there to her than being that bland, boring book-smart archetype... Besides being hilarious to sit through, again - IMHO. The only thing missing there was a proper apology for it, rather than her snarking about being right as usual, which only makes her look rather unlikable and less worth focusing on than Lori is for too long, honestly.

To be brutally honest, and to get back to it, it's about time Lisa got an episode like this: one where she's forced to finally act like a real human being (by actually making real friends, not "acquainting herself with just test subjects", as she puts it!), instead of just another bland, boring book-smart archetype, which the first two Lisa - focused segments I mentioned did try and almost succeeded in doing - only to fall back on her core character at the last minute. Yeah... My positive opinion on those 2 episodes has heavily faded upon repeat viewings of them, save for their hilarious moments - I can safely say watching them again NOW - I'd rank BOTH Making the Grade & Snow Bored as Mid Tier (at best): for having good ideas for giving Lisa more of a character, but falling down and tripping up quite noticeably (e.g.: just about throwing some good character development out the window like that.) by simply going back into that genius archetype mode we know Lisa to always be by the respective episodes' end.

Too bad I can't rank this one too high, either... Seriously, Lisa had to be told the obvious moral on display here - only proving another point of mine: she's book smart - that's it. Being street smart helps, too: that means being able to make friends for real, not as some assignment to get an "A" on and whatnot. If this were to be allowed to stick as something meaningful for Lisa to learn and take with her to grow as a character - because we actually did get some character development at the end with Lisa actually wanting to be friends for real with that girl, well - it's simple enough: we need to see more episodes with Lisa and her hanging out (in the background, of course; so as not to force things in our faces, as that would NOT be anything better, honestly.).

Anything to make Lisa less archetype and more actual character worth a damn - again, IMHO. Hell, if these writers can do the right thing here and NOT only remember, but feature Lisa's new friend in more segments (again, in a background sense, so as not to overtake the true stars of this show! NO POOCHIES ALLOWED.) to show off that character growth, I'll re-consider this to be High Tier material for this show, as that was a good step towards something meaningful for Lisa as character that she needs, other than to think she's better than everyone else just because of book smarts and whatever else drives her, because - SCIENCE.

Long as hell rambling aside, this was truly quite the above average effort (especially for an easily bashed character like Lisa!), overall, instead of in just the ending parts like the last two segments (Future Tense, Yes Man) ever could hope to have been, IMHO - like I said before, those 2 segments only really got good in my eyes once they got to their respective endings (hence my overall Mid Tier ranking for them, unfortunately.).

• Like Like x 1
    #21 I.R. Shokew, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  2. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Friend Or Faux?

By far the best Lisa episode though that is not saying much. When I heard this was a Lisa episode I was dreading it, she has always come off as so unlikable when the spotlight is on her, remember when she took away everyone's snow days. Lisa has been one of those characters like Luan in those terrible April Fool's day episodes that can be a antagonist in her own episode. And writers no more of these April Fool's days episode unless it is a redemption episode.

Well it is an interesting at least, watching how different Lisa is from the other kids in her intelligence, reminds me of Stewie Griffin when we see him interact with other kids his age, it is just weird. She really ought to be in College or at least High School, she is too smart for this class.

Darcy she was adorable and when I saw what Lisa was trying to do which was use her for her grade and than drop her, I was thinking no don't do that, you are going to hurt her, and that is what happened, but Lisa learns a lesson and Darcy forgives her. So they are friends.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Game Freak 4

Game Freak 4 TV Tropes is Ruining My Life!

...honestly, was Luan ever funny?

4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Friend or Faux?: This is the Lisa episode that has been needed, and what Lisa has been needing for a long while. Hopefully she'll start being more human ad stop treating others as experiments.

Well of course, in fandoms, there is no such thing as friends.

5. JTZ

JTZ New Member

No laughing matter was a really nice episode. As annoying as Luan's jokes sometimes are, this episode showed that without them Luan is pretty much... well, nothing. She was basically a zombie throughout most of the episode. Even if 90% of her puns are dumb, if telling them makes her happy then let her be - it's not like she is harming anyone.

From a technical aspect, the episode was a little flawed in its structure as it followed a strict pattern of "Luan montage - sibling meeting - Luan montage - sibling meeting - (...)" up until the end. Overall though it gets a good grade from me, for showing how important Luan's comedy is for her, and for being pretty funny ("That was pretty important to her, she wrote about it in her diary!").

I still laugh out loud whenever I see her as a mime in "Ties that bind" - she was golden there!

6. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

NO... Just annoying and more forced than natural with her humor, honestly - it's part of why I prefer Luna more out of that duo in the household (IMHO); then again, most episodes focusing on Luna were above average to awesome - Luan as a main focus doesn't really come close, as her most notable ones (e.g.: anything involving April Fools Day! UGH.) were some of my least favorites in the entire series, only succeeding in making her out to be a bit of a psychopath. This time, however, that's NOT the case at all - and I'm thankful.

No Laughing Matter (High Tier) -
    This is probably some of Sullivan's better work on the show (he's always been the weakest link, IMHO!), and for a character who needed more above average efforts with her acting human, instead of like - well, a rather annoying bit of a clown (sorry, but when it comes down to Luan as a core focus - THAT is mostly what I see her character as at worst, compared to her more well - rounded equal of said pair, Luna, honestly...).

To see her actually being told to calm it down was a welcome site, IMHO - of course, in a predictable sense, she takes as "she should quit this!", which is why I can't rank this perfect, honestly. However, this effort works simply because while starting out slow, everyone is shown to be legit sorry to diss on Luan like that, despite their help of getting her out of said slump they unfortunately caused, not being that effective at first.

Then we get to the ending, where Lincoln embarrasses himself on stage and everything turns itself around for the better, thanks to Luan finally getting over it - and hopefully realizing to not be going so crazy with her calling in life, especially when her family are the butt of the so-called jokes by the end!

Seriously now, if I can personally get MORE episodes on THIS exact level for anything Luan - focused (and much less episodes with her going crazy on April Fools Day - because those episodes royally suck, IMHO), I'll start to warm up to her character much more, indefinitely. Or at least give me more episodes of her having respectable work like she was shown to have in S01's Funny Business. Actually, give me more episodes (and I do mean, BOTH) like THIS and S01's Funny Business, Luan. PLEASE???

Overall: Future Tense and Yes Man had some good ideas for a setup in a show like this - I just didn't agree with their approach, honestly, hence their Mid Tier ranking for me. Friend or Faux, while not as good as No Luaghing Matter (again, IMHO) is the kind of episode a rather weak character, which Lisa pretty much is (IMHO) needs MORE of; just like Luan needs to be put in more episodes like No Laughing Matter, learning how moderate herself... or at least A) not laugh at all her stupid jokes, let alone going overboard with them all the damn time, and B) not being in anymore episodes where she is written like a psychopath instead of a real character worth getting behind!

GAME OVER

#26 I.R. Shokew, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

The poll is up.

8. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

As someone who lost respect for Luan after Funny Business It was about time to finally say that I can respect Luan again much like the other Louds.

The main issue that Luan has heck even in this episode is that I just don't know much about Luan, she is into comedy and laughs a lot that is it, and when she isn't doing that she acts really immature and unlikable hence my biggest problem with my feelings after that episode.

In this case, I respect the family for trying to help Luan get back into her game, and I especially think that because it wasn't a trick all some type of facade that this is exactly what I was waiting for. Luan may have not done much to really stick out in this but thank the family for showing care for Luan in returning her back in the game of comedy. I must also say that I had a good laugh when everyone tried to do what Luan does for comedy, it worked very well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. zoombie

No Laughing Mater

A Luan episode when she is a psychopath alright I will take it. I hope we get Luan's backstory and why she is the way she is, I am thinking perhaps her comedy is a defense mechanism, maybe there is a backstory to that, maybe some day we will get that.

I agree Luan trying not to be funny is just weird and kind of sad. The solution at the end, Lincoln not being funny and Luan saving the day, I saw that happen on Full House, I guess I know when Sullivan gets some of his ideas.

10. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Future Tense The message about enjoying being a kid while you're still a kid is good, but they doesn't mean they have to ignore extracurricular activities. The parents did overload them, but they should have wined it down, instead of making them cold turkey. I can understand a little going cold turkey on the younger kids, but Lori, Leni are almost adults. They should still be in SAT prep classes, they're not kids anymore.

Yes Man One one hand, they were able to give each sibling a good amount of screen time, but on the other hand It feels like they were using the fact that they had 11 kids to stretch out the episode. The ending however was sweet.

Friend or Faux What a sweet episode. Lisa finally understands the purpose of having a friend. And she finally has one.

No Laughing Matter Predictable, but was still enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

No Laughing Matter was pretty sweet/funny,

A Luan episode, sweet, mostly love/enjoy Luan.
    Luan and her jokes/pranks on her siblings was funny.
    Lincoln and the other Loud Sisters annoyed of her jokes/pranks was understandable on wanting her to tone it down.
    Luan so normal and not funny like a zombie was interesting/creepy:ack:.
    Nice of Lincoln and the other Loud Sisters wanting to fix Luan to make her funny was great:D.
    Luan saving Lincoln with Luan back to normal was great.

12. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

No Laughing Matter: This is the best Luan episode so far. The running gag of the toilet being flushed while Luna was in the shower was hilarious as was her reactions to them. Luan being excited about her performance and pranking everyone was her being her usual bad-pun-self, but I found it funny how straight-to-the-point she was to Lynn. It was sad how heartbroken Luan was after hearing her siblings and her closing her dummy's eyes was like a "R.I.P." about her comedy. When Lana was doing the money puns with her sandwich, I was expecting clams to be pulled out like that one episode where did those puns. The siblings taking advantage of Luan's break from Luan's joke without checking to see if something was wrong with her was mean of them, but it's expected with this show sometimes, and when they found out that Luan had quit the comedy stuff, they took that serious, showing how much they do care about Luan. Lola shows how much she respects her sibling's privacy, and by respecting her sibling's privacy, I mean she reads their diaries (well at least Luan's diary). The two plans to get Luan back into comedy were clearly bad plans, but I did like the sports-talk Lynn and Lincoln did, and it was funny seeing Luan get spit-taked during plan-B. Lisa's plan sounded pretty good until she brought up the butt-for-a-face part. But of course Lana wanted a butt-for-a-face, why i have no idea. But that's Lana for you. Lincoln's last plan was obviously the only good one, even though he didn't intend to do the jokes wrong (Luan obviously needs to work on her penmanship). I liked her reactions to how bad Lincoln was doing the jokes. It was really sweet of Leni to hug Luan the next morning for winning the contest, and it looks like Luan has learned not to overdue for jokes so much. But if I were her siblings, I'd exchange that for her not going overboard with her pranks during April Fool's Day.

All four episodes this week were great, My favorite is a tie between No Laughing Matter and Yes Man.

13. zoombie

Going a little over board on April Fool's Day is the greatest understatement of the year. She tries to murder her family every year and I still think the Halloween episode is going to have a long way to go to be as scary as the last April Fool's Day episode.

14. JTZ

JTZ New Member

Almost one week after it aired and several weeks after its leak, I finally watched Future Tense.

It was a very fun episode too watch, with a lot of details to look out for, especially in the scenes when the kids were hanging around in the garden. The quirks of the sisters succesfully carried each scene, without any of them feeling under- or overused, making it enjoyable from beginning to end. A prime example of how a Loud House episode should be, with an ending that was sweet without feeling sappy.

One thing I'd like to point out is how the parents didn't sign up Lincoln for any activity, but gave him educational comics. He is sometimes depicated as a jack-of-all-trades, having picked up a little from all of his sisters, so they probably already saw him as relatively "well-rounded" in terms of skills.

• Agree Agree x 1