1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Looney Tunes Show" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by takineko, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Dr. Toonhattan

If they do it correctly, and remain true to the original spirit of the old cartoons, then it could work. Let's hope it does, and this is the first in a long line of our favourite characters being brought back. Fingers crossed for Animaniacs and Tiny Toons.

2. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

So Tom Ruegger is working on the new Looney Tunes cartoon shorts for TV like he did for WB TV cartoon series Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and Histeria? But I wouldn't count on a Tiny Toon/Animaniacs revival series...

And, the new Looney Tunes TV series would be like Disney's Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse series, and it won't involve help from Steven Spielberg like TTA, Animaniacs, P&TB, and Freakazoid were under the "Steven Spielberg Presents" banner (How about a "Tom Ruegger Presents the Looney Tunes Comedy Club" title or something like that?)

3. SB20xx

SB20xx How flattering.
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Didn't you guys read this: "I don't know much about the new Looney Tunes project..." ?

If he doesn't know much about it (other than that a few crew members are on board), there's a very good chance he's not working on it.

4. Deadman

Deadman Active Member

welcome to toon zone mr ruegger. its nice seeing a looney tunes revival, and with the news you brought us about who will be working on it, it looks like it may be a good one.

5. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

This announcement makes me wonder... Was WB interested in doing something like this prior to a certain pitch that apparently never flew?

But it also makes me think of a funny moment yesterday in a Hallmark store as my fiancée bought a Rabbit of Seville ornament.

Cashier: "Oh, Elmer Fudd! Did you ever see the one where--"
    Me: "Yes."

Anyway, I refuse to get excited about this given the current state of TV animation. Since all that networks seem to want these days is animated sitcoms... be afraid.

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than horribly disappointed.

6. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

If this is left in the hands of cartoonists like Jim Smith, I'd say that this should at least be a respectable and logical effort.

I can't see a show trying to seriously emulate and honor the work of Clampett, Mckimpson or Jones being produced the way the WBA shows were produced.

of course, a show like Animaniacs worked in it's own way. It was a funny show with appealing and fun drawings. It may not have been a "pure cartoon" and may have strayed away from the meaning of the Art Form on some levels, but the important thing to me is that despite these things, it was still funny and appealing, which accomplishes much of what cartoons are meant to.

7. Tom Ruegger

Tom Ruegger Member

thanks Speedy

Yes, thanks Speedy Boris, for pointing out that I am definitely NOT working on the new Looney Tunes project at WBA, and I hope that I didn't give anyone the impression that I was involved. I'm not. Over a year ago, I did approach Warner Bros. with some ideas for a different show that might have involved some classic characters in their stable, and there was interest at the time, but a shift in the WBA hierarchy brought that project to a sudden halt. So, for the record, I'm not involved in this new Looney Tunes thing.

8. The Spectre

The Spectre Member

Wow, welcome to the Warner Bros Club, Mr Ruegger! To say that TTA and Animaniacs were an important part of my childhood would be putting it mildly. :)

9. Artayes

Artayes Member

It's an honor to have you here, Mr. Ruegger! Tiny Toon Adventures is my all-time favorite cartoon!

If you have any insight or more information on the characters or episodes, then it would great if yuo could share them.

And I noticed in another topic that you spelled Furrball's name "Furball", are both of these names acceptable for his character?

10. nwm2112

nwm2112 Member

Remember the new "Woody Woodpecker" from 10 years ago? I loved that particular version, though I know many of you here at TZ hate it.

Though I'll have to wait and see if the new Looney Tunes series is any good by my standards.

And, welcome to ToonZone, Mr. Tom Ruegger!

11. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

Of course after making this post I don't come back to check it for ages and TOM RUEGGER REPLIES. WHAT? Crazy.

Hiya Tom! ~waves~

I will with hold judgment on the new Looney Tunes until I see it. I'm excited that Bugs and Daffy are back at all, but I am sad Tom and the gang are not going to be involved...

Maybe Rob Paulsen is allowed to share a few things about the show? His twitter is @yakkopinky

12. Tom Ruegger

Tom Ruegger Member

new looney tunes series "Laff Riot" has shut down

That's the word from Warner Bros. Animation. A sad day in Looney Tunes Land.

On Friday, without warning, much of the staff and crew on "Laff Riot" was let go (with a severance package and vacation pay included). The show has ceased production and is being "retooled."

This 26 half hour re-imagining of the Looney Tunes franchise has been in production since May. The crews have finished storyboards and recordings of close to 12 half hours already. Some episodes are in animation, so to shut the series down at this point is a costly event.

No word as to who made the decision to close it down.

A skeleton crew of senior artists is being kept on to help "retool" the series along with the management team and the producers. If it gets back on track again, it would resume production some time early in 2010.

It's a very sad day for the talented artists who have worked tirelessly and enthusiastically on this for the past half year...

This setback follows recent news about the Tom and Jerry long-form on which Jon McClenahan was working for WB Animation. A month or so ago, that production was shut down in mid-stride as well.

So, uh, WBA -- wazzup?

13. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

Crap. What they were doing at first sounded interesting and promising and now it's been shut down to be "retooled". They better not go Loonatics Unleashed on us and still stay true to the original shorts like Laff Riot was supposed to do.

14. chdr

chdr Active Member

What.

Good luck losing money and talented workers, WBA.

15. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

OK, seriously that is a dumb idea. Why cancel something when you're in heavy mid-production, especially when it's going through the animation phase? Oh well, I hope this retool is for the better, rather than the worse.

16. Nexonius

Nexonius Formerly John Dorian

Well, we just got 3 new executives at WBA, so of course we're gonna have to wait. Even though it's through almost halfway in production. Things change.

If the retool will help better the show in all causes (and not make it into something atrocious like Loonatics or the BIA shorts), then I'm all up for it. And it's November, so January's coming fast (That's IF the WBA team gets their heads together).

Plus, it means that Cartoon Network might just have more time for children and families to get familiar with Looney Tunes.

17. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Oddity awaits.

I wonder what exactly folks at WBA are "retooling."

18. egfelixdcg

egfelixdcg Member

I didn't know new Tom & Jerry cartoons were being produced. It would have been interesting to see Johnny Mack's animation in those.
    Hope this Looney T project resumes soon.

19. Deadman

Deadman Active Member

not sure what to think. it sucks that it was canceled mid-production, but maybe the "retooling" will make it better.

20. Dr. Toonhattan

Oh I can't believe this. Just as things were looking good again. It could be worse though, I guess retooling is better than canceling completely. But you know what's ironic, I did a search on the old wiki for "laff riot" and it said "did you mean layoff riot".

Oh one more thing, I don't think I have yet had a chance to welcome Tom to Toonzone. My warmest regards Mr. Ruegger.