1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Loonatics... Not the show!

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Akarynth Starduck, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Akarynth Starduck

Akarynth Starduck New Member

So when it came to the good old Loonatics, from what I saw in the community it seemed like it was usually that people would either love it or hate it... But! Despite whatever you thought of the show in general, how about the characters? I never really hear a general thought on the characters themselves - sure the show wasn't 'great', but I really enjoyed and grew fond of characters such as Danger (Obvious to tell from avatar), Tech and Rev (It was great seeing them two receiving their own voices and personalities outside of the usual mute canyon feud).

So! What about the characters? Look past the show and say what you think of them... Is there anyone else out there that misses them? Do you think they should be given another life on another show, maybe given a cameo or two somewhere instead of simply killing some pretty good characters because their show wasn't the best?

2. rajzfilm

rajzfilm Member

I actually find this show entertaining... unlike Baby Looney Tunes.

Danger Duck is probably the best character, as he's not much different from Daffy.
    I actually prefer him to the "Duck Dodgers" Daffy a bit.
    And it's great to see the original Lola Bunny in a tv show instead of the new one. (Though Babs can also be considered Lola in a tv show)

3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I was one of the few Loonatics fans on the planet. Tech was shown plenty of respect, a 180 degree turn from Wile's eternal suffering. Lexi was hot. You had quality creators like the Tremblay brothers on this show, and yet people hated on it. I didn't. DC didn't bother with a comic book, though I'd have bought it if they did.

4. Akarynth Starduck

A comic book on the Loonatics sure would be a cool thing. You see that's one of the sorts of ideas I'd love for WB to consider to bring these characters back to life someday - is it wrong to hope for their revival...?

But to add to the mention of Tech, I really liked how they seemingly took the idea of Wile always playing around with all those Acme gadgets all the time and sort of put that to his character as a genius always creating all these little gadgets the team is always using - and that almost voice of wisdom and reason, the thought that went into these characters as descendants of the originals... Why I'd like to see them again

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

No, it's not wrong to want that, it just seems highly unlikely to happen, given how much hate LU received from Looney Tunes purists and how the series as a whole was critically and commercially panned. The backlash WB received just for hatching the idea, regardless of how much of it was actually warranted or not, is enough to prevent WB from seriously considering pursuing anything with this franchise again. It's like hoping WB will one day make a Scooby-Doo show or DTV which legitimately and unironically features Scrappy-Doo, not as a joke or a parody. They could do it, but thanks to the massive amount of fan hate for the character, they're not likely to try.

#5 Silverstar, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I think that the premise of the Looney Tunes characters as super heroes could have worked if Warner Brothers had made the series as a 100% comedy rather than an action/comedy hybrid. It could have been like The Just Us League of Super Toons, only for real. Thanks to hobbyfan and his blog, Saturday Morning Archives, I've now seen a couple of episodes of the Depatie-Freleng cartoon series The Super 6 (until recently, I had only read about the show), and I think that a Super Toons series could have worked if WB had followed a format similar to that one. In Loonatics Unleashed's 2nd season, the producers tried to make the series more comedic and threw in more Looney Tunes descendants and humor into the story lines, but it was too little, too late.

#6 Goldstar Neo, Aug 20, 2015
  7. Akarynth Starduck

Hm, all well and good points, though, not entirely to topic... The Loonatics Unleashed show is well and truly over for sure love it or hate it, but how about the characters themselves? Do they deserve to ever be given another appearance elsewhere? A cameo maybe, maybe a new show? (e.g. a prequel to the time they got their powers so it's just a comedy and not a super hero action, or e.g. being in the future, do something like Futurama?! I loved Futurama - another good show cancelled...) - however unlikely... sadly, but I guess I'll keep dreaming

8. Silverstar

Like I said in post #5, I doubt Warner would be willing to seriously try anything else with those characters given how the show itself left such a bad taste in so many folks' mouths, and I wouldn't really see the point in using the Loonatics if they wouldn't be superheroes or have any powers, I mean, the superhero stuff is what separated them from the Looney Tunes; without that angle, they'd be more or less clones, wouldn't they? WB could just put Bugs, Daffy and company in the future if they just wanted to make a comedy set in that time.

Also, I can't feel bad about Futurama, it had a good long run, lasted longer and got more second chances than most shows get. Honestly, I think the show ran longer than it needed to, and I was a Futurama fan.

#8 Silverstar, Aug 20, 2015
  9. Akarynth Starduck

A point but whether it's true is debatable... I think the characters were quite similar to the originals true, but clones in personality? I wouldn't go that far, I think each of them were really their own character... Excluding Taz and Ace, they were quite the same as their ancestor characters, but Tech and Rev while being the same design were virtually entirely new characters having personalities and voices - not to mention being friends rather than enemies. Danger he was similar to Daffy but not quite, he was still egotistic and power hungry like Daffy but not quite in the same ways, he was still a bit of a 'screwball', but yet... he felt like a different character of his own with a different approach and style to things... And Lexi, well the only Lola I've seen is TLTS and she certainly wasn't a Lola!

Also yeah Futurama had a nice run, but it was still sad to see something of its unique kind go...

10. Silverstar

Eh, Tech and Rev were the only ones who offered something different in the way of character and portrayal, IMO.

Ace and Slam were Bugs and Taz, for all intents and purposes.

Danger was basically the reincarnation of the 1950's Chuck Jones egotistical jerk/butt-monkey Daffy, a persona which, while I enjoyed some of the Jones shorts, I feel WB came to rely on too much and too heavily for a long time. I personally prefer the 1940's brilliant screwball Daffy, but that's just me.

Lexi is a gray area since Lola Bunny had no prior career in the LT shorts, any Lola character can basically be whatever the creators want her to be at that particular time.

In general, the Loonatics overall weren't really different enough from the Looney Tunes for me to consider any of them separate characters in their own right, since you can instantly and easily spot the more famous characters they're obviously based on just by glancing at them. Same deal with the Tiny Toons: aside from Babs, Shirley, Fifi, Montana Max and Elmyra, I really can't think of any of the TT characters as separate entities than the established characters they're clearly based on. The differences between the Looney Tunes and the Loonatics amount to basically the same differences between the Muppets and the Muppet Babies, in other words, very little.

#10 Silverstar, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  11. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Eh, Futurama was already brought back from the abyss twice, and as good as the show was, the premise was clearly beginning to run out of steam. I'd rather see Futurama stay ended and provide some good memories than become a zombie like The Simpsons.