1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lion Guard - News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Jun 9, 2014.

1. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

And you know what? I don't care if it's for preschoolers. I'm going to watch it and I think for everyone to watch. In fact, I predict I might be come a fan following like MLP: FIM and Gravity Falls.

2. Lemanic

Lemanic Member

How about renaming this thread "The Lion Guard - News & Discussion Thread" now?

3. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

4. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

5. SweetShop209

It might air on Saturdays, but only after some time has passed. Miles From Tomorrowland premieres moved to Saturday mornings after establishing itself in the Friday morning timeslot. Plus, many Disney Junior shows ususally premiere on a Friday (Doc McStuffins, Sofia the First after the pilot movie, Miles From Tomorrowland, Sheriff Callie's Wild West, and some more). They might rerun the Lion King movies and Timon Pumbaa, but they're also showing reruns of The Lion Guard: Return Of The Roar to get people to remember the show like they did with the Sofia The First pilot movie.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, they've been airing reruns of The Lion Guard movie pretty frequently and have it available on their On Demand section. Airing the first two movies would be pretty cool though.

It's good to see that there is a premiere date for the series, so I'll check it out.

7. SweetShop209

Here is my review for the first two episodes of the show.

Never Judge A Hyena By Its Spots

Writers: Kevin Hopps, John Loy, Ford Riley

Date: January 15, 2016

I was impressed with The Lion Guard when the pilot film aired, and as the first official episode of the show, it's pretty good. In this episode, Kion accidentally gets separated from his friends while fending off the hyenas, and meets a hyena named Jasiri, who he doesn't trust too much when she offers him a way to get home. This episode essentially takes on species prejudice, and does it wonderfully. Considering the only hyenas Kion met are savage and rude, his prejudice is understandable. We also find out more about hyenas, and how they're not that different from lions. Jasiri is quite interesting since she's essentially one of the more playful hyenas, with a kind side to her to compliment her tough persona. Maia Mitchell brings her to life. There's naturally some good humor and some suspenseful moments, and it ties well into a moral on not being prejudiced since not everyone in a group acts the same. I call it a pretty good episode.

The Rise Of Makuu

Writer: Ford Riley

Date: January 15, 2016

The Lion Guard is a show that has the spirit of The Lion King, but it can still be its own show, and episodes like this show why. While hanging out, The Lion Guard runs into a group of crocodiles. They're all reasonable except for one named Makuu, who's aggressive and defeats Pua in the Mushadan for leader of the crocodiles. Now Kion has to get things back in order. This episode takes on the idea of nonviolence, and it works wonderfully here. We see how much brute force alone isn't enough to lead, and the consequences of only using force, which results in chaos. Makuu is quite an interesting character in that he may essentially be a typical tough guy, his power makes him quite intimidating. There's also a nice number of funny jokes and some cool action. We also get a good moral on knowing when to stand your ground. I think it's a pretty good episode.

8. Media Man

Media Man Member

I saw the first two episodes yesterday. Well done. My only gripe is with Disney- why did it take them 22 years to make a Lion King series?!

9. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

It didn't. Timon and Pumbaa got their own series in 1995.

10. Media Man

Media Man Member

Actually that was a comedic spin off focusing on Timon and Pumbaa. I watched it, but at the time I wanted a 'Kimba the White Lion series' (focusing on Simba and his family).

I have a hard time believing that someone within Disney didn't propose the idea at the time given the massive success of the Lion King movie. (Perhaps they couldn't come up with the right concept?)

11. ZeroKelvin

ZeroKelvin One poppin' pariffero

Considering every other movie turned into a series at the time (The Little Mermaid, Aladdin) was directly based on it and not a spin-off, I did also find it weird they didn't make a direct Lion King series. Especially when you compare the light-hearted comedic tone of Timon and Pumbaa to the more serious and realistic tone of The Lion King. That would've been a great concept for an action show, but like you mentioned they probably couldn't think of a way to execute it, and the fact Timon and Pumbaa were probably the most popular at the time so they went with a spin-off.

Sent from my 0PCV1 using Tapatalk

12. SweetShop209

Bunga The Wise

Writer: John Loy

Date: January 22, 2016

From what I've heard, Bunga seems to be a polarizing character on the show, but I think he's endearing, and I feel episodes like this show why. Bunga helps stop a flood that almost wrecks the Pridelands, and believes he's the smartest animal in the area. He then decides to give advice to everyone. Bunga in this episode essentially represents the everyday person in that there have been times in our lives where we think we're the best at we do, and try to exploit that talent. It doesn't him unlikable. It just makes him realistic. Plus, he doesn't belittle anyone, making his ego bearable. The humor is naturally all kinds of fun with the types of bad advice he gives. The icing on the cake is the moral on how taking the easy route is not always a good idea. It's another pretty good episode of the show.

13. Action!

Action! Active Member

I like the Lion Guard. Pretty good show.

14. bat313

bat313 Active Member

Was there ever a definitive answer if Kovu would appear? I know Jason Marsden said he wasn't asked back but he's really the adult Kovu voice right? How about any of the other characters from TLK2?

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The main reason he wasn't brought back was probably because Kovu isn't an adult in this series. Kiara is still a cub and Kion is her new little brother. I think that there was some mention of Kovu appearing in the show, but I'm not sure if that was official or not. If it was, then Kovu would be a cub instead of an adult. I don't know if we'd see any of the others Lions from the Outlands in The Lion Guard, but that could be an interesting possibility.

16. bat313

bat313 Active Member

Thanks for the reply! My 2 yr old likes this show so I will keep my eyes out for Kovu when we watch it!

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You're welcome. ^_^

I've only seen two episodes thus far, but I do like it. The songs work a bit better here than they did in the movie/special, the other members of the Lion Guard stand out a bit more and they aren't throwing out those new catchphrases nearly as much as I thought they would. Kion is still a pretty likable lead character and I like how they incorporate the educational aspect of the show so naturally into to the dialogue. It still teaches kids information about animals, but it's still entertaining and it's just part of the plot rather than the main focus, which helps to make the show more fun.

I like the show and I would have eaten it up when I was little after seeing The Lion King for the first time, so I'm glad that kids are able to watch this show today.

18. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think we'll be seeing Kovu unless Kion and them specifically go to the Outlands. Kiara doesn't meet him again until their teenagers, so he's being trained by Zira at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

well, it is not entirely impossible for them to run into one another briefly

20. SweetShop209

I thought something seemed a bit odd about Mufasa's voice in the more recent episodes, and I was right. According to the Disney wiki, James Earl Jones voiced him in the pilot movie, but he's voiced by Gary Anthony Williams in the actual series.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Mufasa