1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lion Guard - News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Jun 9, 2014.

1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

But it's a cartoon. They can just recast the roles. Nick did that with their DreamWorks based shows. Almost none of the original actors returned for any of them.

2. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

The animation was awesome. I am so going to watch this! And I don't give a hoover if it's for preschoolers. It should of been for everybody to watch.

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm aware that was the case with the Dreamworks animated series and that this is a cartoon. I fully expected for most of, if not all of, the returning characters in this series to have different voice actors, so I don't see why you thought that I said something in my initial post.

4. PinkiePie97

Did I misunderstand? I thought you said that the characters weren't returning. Sorry. I didn't even read the whole article. Maybe now I will before I discuss it with people.

#44 PinkiePie97, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No, I meant that I didn't expect any of the voice actors from the movies to reprise their roles. That's what I was referring to when I said big stars, not to the cartoon characters themselves.

6. PinkiePie97

Again, sorry. I don't know why I didn't read the whole article.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's okay. I was more confused how my post gave that impression more than anything else.

8. barcncpt44

barcncpt44 Road, Weather, News Junkie Geek

Disney Channel uploaded a sneak peek to The Lion Guard to their YouTube channel, it was pretty good.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That sneak peek was pretty good. The animation still looked pretty solid and the show itself looks like it will be a lot of fun to watch.

10. PinkiePie97

Could this be a Disney Junior show I'm actually looking forward to? I never expected that. This actually isn't the first time. I was also excited for The 7D because of who was involved, though that ended up on Disney XD instead. But that's besides the point. This looks like a fun show and the animation is pretty good. All I really ask for from preschool shows is something good for kids while also being something that older people that have to watch with them can stand. Normally, I'd only watch newer preschool shows if I had to watch it with someone in the target audience, and that almost never happens to me because I don't know anyone in the target audience, but I think I'll try this anyway.

#50 PinkiePie97, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  11. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Considering 3 of my favorite 2010s cartoons are Disney Junior shows, I feel like this show could really be good, maybe good enough to join my list. It's executive produced by Ford Riley, the creator of Special Agent Oso and a writer from Doc McStuffins. Also, the lead character is voiced by Max Charles, the voice of Sherman from Mr. Peabody And Sherman and Harvey from Harvey Beaks. Another character will be played by Diamond White (Ruby from Sofia The First). Now I have more reason to watch this show.

12. Baltofan2015

Baltofan2015 Banned

I saw that on Eqeustria Daily too. I'm looking forward to that.

13. SweetShop209

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

15. SweetShop209

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_Guard

I checked out Wikipedia. Obviously, many of the voice actors were replaced. For example,

Rob Lowe will voice Simba in place of Matthew Broderick and Cam Clarke.

Gabrielle Union will voice Nala in place of Moira Kelly.

Timon will be voiced by Kevin Schon in place of Nathan Lane.

Khary Payton will voice Rafiki in place of Robert Guillaume.

Jeff Bennett will voice Zazu in place of Rowan Atkinson.

On the other hand, some of the actors from the original film will reprise their roles, like James Earl Jones as Mufasa and Ernie Sabella as Pumbaa.

Our protagonist Kion will be voiced by Max Charles. His friends will be voiced by other child actors like Diamond White (Fuli),Atticus Shaffer (Ono), Dusan Brown (Beshte), and Joshua Rush (Bunga).

That is all for now.

16. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I don't why they're using Rob Lowe instead of Matthew Broderick who is in much lower demand right now. Not a big loss because he's a terrible actor.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

He could still be too expensive for them to reprise his role or he didn't want to come back for a TV series. I never had too much of a problem with Matthew Broderick's voice for Simba, but I don't have a problem with someone else voicing the character either.

18. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

This show looks interesting. I will check an episode out even though I generally don't have interest in preschool shows.

19. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

I believe "The Lion Guard" will be a good series; however, the issue of continuity should be fixed to avoid disturbances to us, the fans. I mean, Kiara is still a cub in this series, which means sooner or later, Kovu, Zira and the other exiled lions should appear in the series; one way or another.

As the series finale, if you ask me, I believe we should have a few points, in a potential movie:
    + Kion and the others should be adults already.
    + The story should be a "B-Story" or "side story" of the events from "The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride", to explain where Kion and the others were during the events of the movie.
    + It would be quite easy to suppose that, while the teen Kovu was trapped in Zira's scheme, Kion and the rest of the Lion Guard could be on a mission far away; possibly having a battle against the hyenas or something like that. Just like "The Lion King 1/2: Hakuna Matata" is a side story of the original movie, but from Timon and Pumbaa's perspective.
    + The series finale could end with Kion and the Lion Guard returning from their mission, just at the same time that we had the last scene of "The Lion Kin 2: Simba's Pride".

Well, what do you think of this idea?

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Have they confirmed that Kiara is still a club in the series? I haven't heard anything about that, so I had just assumed that she was still a lioness and that Kion was born after the events of the sequel. They could just have the movie set in its own continuity if that's the case since I don't know how they could explain why Kion wasn't around or mentioned during the sequel.