1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lion Guard - News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Are they running out of ideas? Not that I won't check it out, but...

2. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

It's called brand recognition.

That is until we get the darker and edgier reboot.

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So it starts off as another sequel and then has a TV series. That's pretty cool. It's also nice to hear confirmation that Kion is Simba and Nala's second cub and that other characters will have guest appearances, including Kiara. That is nicer than if they just disregarded the first sequel to begin with.

I don't really see how this means that they're running out of ideas. It's pretty basic brand recognition and it does sound potentially interesting/entertaining, but I might be bias there due to my fondness of The Lion King in general.

4. Lemanic

Lemanic Member

Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase...

5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Thank goodness. I am glad to hear that they didn't throw the continuity out the door.

6. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they got Neve Campbell to revise her role.

7. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

"Running out of ideas?" Hilarious. Disney is all about repackaging old ideas, whether it be their ideas or not. What are the big things Disney has going for them right now?

Frozen - an adaptation of a 170 year old story
    Big Hero 6 - an adaptation of a Marvel Comic
    Sofia the First - a new princess tale that allows them to promote the Disney Princess brand to preschoolers
    Jake and the Neverland Pirates - extension of Peter Pan (1953)
    Tinker Bell movies - same thing
    Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - ride based on Walt Disney Studios first animated feature Snow White (1937)
    Maleficent - new take on Sleeping Beauty (1959)

The Lion Guard is par for the course. Classic Disney. It's a way to introduce a 20 year old movie to people who may not have seen it. Have you watched The Lion King with people who have never seen it before? It still resonates.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think that you realized that I disagreed with the train of thought that this is Disney running out of ideas. They've made series out of their movies and properties plenty of times, so this is nothing new in that regard. Besides that, claiming that they're running out of ideas when we barely know anything about the show is pretty ridiculous in itself in my opinion. So I think you either misread what I said completely or quoted the wrong person.

I have seen The Lion King when it was released in 3D a couple of years ago and there were people with their kids who most likely hadn't seen it before. I'm aware that it still resonates with people. I still cry every time I've seen it and I saw this movie twenty years ago in theaters.

9. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I do kind of wonder if they're aiming for the right target audience by making a Disney Junior show. Granted The Lion King is obviously an all audience film but I think it's something enjoyed more by older kids. At least more in the 7-9 range, not the 2-4 range. Especially since by the time it premieres it will have atl east been a few years since the theater re-release. Otherwise it's a solid enough idea. Granted Lion King is an older brand I thought they weren't going anywhere new with like this but it can work. Plus I think this is the first show since Emperor's New School based on a Disney Movie. Oh right guess there was The Neverland Pirates show... so wait they aren't making kids shows based on their movies but making pre-kids shows? What's that about?

10. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

DJ's target demo is kids 2-7 and their families. It appears to be more like the Hub than Nick Jr.

#30 ILDC, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  11. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

12. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Well, that wasn't surprising.

13. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I'm guessing to give the show some new opportunity by starting with a fresh start

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That trailer was pretty neat. The animation looked nice and getting to see some of the character designs was cool. I'm not surprised that they replaced almost everyone from the first movie. I didn't think that they'd be able to get some of the big stars to reprise their roles for a TV series. Still, it looks nice, so I'll give it a shot when it comes out.

15. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Why did they have to invent a new cub for this instead of using Kiara? The movie showed nothing of her actual childhood, so there was plenty of wiggle room.

...Unless it's a "boy" thing to get more viewers.

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They probably wanted to use brand new characters to make the show more marketable than it would be with an already established character from one of the Disney sequels as the lead, although wanting to have a male lion cub as the main lead to attract more viewers is an unfortunate possibility. They might not have wanted to set this movie in the middle of the sequel since that would make the audience wonder why any new characters featured in this show aren't in the movie. I think that I read somewhere that Kiara and Kiovu will appear in the series, so I don't think that they're ignoring Kiara completely.

17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow. I can see why Disney took Mercury Filmworks off of Star vs. and Wander Over Yonder, those character rigs look intensely complicated to get as close to traditional animation as possible.
    I would be more impress if not for the fact that Kion's eyes go from yellow to white after he roared. Unless that's some in-show explanation for it.

18. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That article mentions Kiara appearing in the show, but I don't think it mentions Kovu. That is a bit odd when I think that there was another article that mentioned him and considering the ending to the sequel, he'd have to be there. Airing the series on both Disney Channel and Disney Junior sounds nice though.

20. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

That has to be the most seamless Flash animation I have ever seen (and it's not even Flash, technically). Mercury Filmworks really outdid themselves. Even if it's just average at least it will be visually enticing.

The real question is...will this level of animation carry over to the show itself? Or is it just for the TV movie? Only time will tell.