"The Legend of Korra" Video Game Announced

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by The Talon, Jun 25, 2014.

1. The Talon

The Talon New Member

Well this came outta nowhere.

Platinum Games' The Legend of Korra Coming in 2014 - IGN

Normally I'd be skeptical of this since licensed games tend to be garbage, but this is intriguing since Platinum is getting involved in this. Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta are some great third-person combat games, so they definitely know what they're doing with this.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Uh, whoa. Licensed games are a dime a dozen, but the fact that it's Platinum making this makes me sit up straight. Definitely keeping an eye on this one.

Looks like it's got that cel-shaded type of look to go for a "just like in the show" feel, kind of like DBZ and Naruto games. I approve!

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

The art style actually reminds me of the other Avatar games, particularly the first one, and that Platinum Games is working on this is hopefully an indicator that this game won't fall prey to the usual quality of licensed games :).

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Normally, this would be a THQ production, but....yeah.

Things turned out far better!

5. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

They could've assigned Naughty Dog to this project (yes, I know Sony owns them) and I'd still be skeptical. It's a licensed game from Activision. Their output in that category these past two years has been awful.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

What's supposed to be awful? Their Transformers and Spider-Man games range between scores of 7 and 8, which is respectable (the movie cash-ins don't count, those always suck). Also, how could a publisher possibly be of more relevance than the party actually developing and designing a game?

7. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

The publisher dictates the budget and the development length of a game. I'd argue that's almost as important to producing a good game as the staff behind the title. If you give good people next to no time to put something together, you're probably not going to get gold. Here are the licensed games Activision has published since 2012:

- Battleship
    - Men In Black: Alien Crisis
    - The Amazing Spider-Man
    - Wipeout
    - Ice Age: Continental Drift - Arctic Games
    - Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
    - Lalaloopsy: Carnival of Friends
    - 007 Legends
    - Wreck It Ralph
    - Cabela's Hunting Expedition
    - Cabela's Dangeous Hunts 2013
    - Moshi Monsters: Moshlings Theme Park
    - Transformers Prime: The Game
    - Bratz: Fashion Boutique
    - Wipeout 3
    - Family Guy: Back to the Mutliverse
    - Rapala Pro Bass Fishing
    - The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
    - Fast & Furious: Showdown
    - Deadpool
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    - Moshi Monsters: Katsuma Unleashed
    - SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge
    - Wipeout: Create & Crash
    - Cabela's African Adventures
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    - Cabela's Big Game Hunter
    - The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    - Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark

How many objectively good games are on that list? One, maybe two? It's naive to think that almost every single studio Activision has partnered with is incapable of making a good game. It's not just a movie tie-in thing either, as none of Activision's recent Nick games have been. Click on the linked Metacritic listings, and you'll see poor scores across the board. I think it's clear that they're not giving studios the environment needed to make a good game.

Heck, the one studio that was producing good content, High Moon, was gutted after Deadpool and now work on porting Call of Duty to PS3/360. Rise of the Dark Spark will probably be the quality norm for Activision Transformers games going forward.

But hey, maybe Korra will prove me wrong. Activision is taking a chance by demoing it to the press so soon after announcement.

8. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

For a game that comes out in months and pretty much has zero info and a few stills at best, I think people are expecting too much if they think it's gonna be top-tier or even average. I don't think it'll be a giant pile of disappointment like Young Justice, but just because the company that made Bayonetta made it, I wouldn't expect their A or even B-level team on the project. I look forward to being proven otherwise, but I'm not holding my breath for this one.

9. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Mmm the fact that the game is downloadable doesn't fill me with confidence.

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Your first point is well taken, though on the second I wouldn't go that far. The Transformers series that started with War for Cybertron was pretty well received, so's the Wipeout games, Deadpool was generally received as not awesome but good enough. It is a point of concern that the fairly recent action game TMNT: Out of the Shadows was a disaster, but on that count I think it is fair to say there's a huuuuge gap between Red Fly Studios and the accomplishments of Platinum.

Maybe, but it's not like I'm expecting Bayonetta. Quality at the level of "action more interesting than a Ninja Storm game or a Dynasty Warriors game" is something I'd call a victory.

I would reevaluate this. A lot of good and interesting stuff is download exclusive these days. Some of my favorite games of 2014 are not retail releases at all.

11. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Oh I know that but don't forget TMNT: Out of the Shadows was also a downloadable game based on a Nickelodeon franchise and published by Activision. As you can see those 3 points don't exactly put confidence on this project.

12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Bryan Konietzko plugs the game, revealing in the process that the game's animated cutscenes are being done by the animation studio Titmouse (Motorcity, Black Dynamite, The Venture Bros). My understanding is they worked on the opening title sequence for Avatar: TLA.

[video=youtube_share;cavjWODIZ3k]http://youtu.be/cavjWODIZ3k[/video]

13. Ryusuke

Ryusuke SomethingWithTheR

I'm not into Korra anymore, but Platinum Games being on it peaks my interest! I may give this a shot.

14. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Banned

Comrades,

those screenshots are gorgeous. i thought i was looking at the actual show for a second.

i'm more interested in the turn based rpgs than action/brawler stuff but i'll keep an eye on both of them.

15. TFormersMarvel

TFormersMarvel Member

You might want to hold your interest for the 3DS version down somewhat. It's being developed by Webfoot Technologies, and they're not exactly like the guys at Wayforward. Their line-up is proof of this.

Webfoot Technologies Inc. - Great Games and More!

16. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Banned

Comrade,

they definitely don't have a great track record but i'll throw them a bone for their work on the legacy of goku 2 and buu's fury. the combat was simplistic but the presentation and sound were nearly flawless. you could tell the team who worked on it were genuine fans of the series.

17. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

I love the absurdness of that trailer. Let's promote our hero by making her look helpless and ineffectual and screaming "No!", it reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons when Chief Wiggum was attached by germs
    :D.

Anyway normally I wouldn't give this a second look( remember those awful Avatar the Last Airbender tie in games from the PS2 era ) but Platinum working on it piqued my interest. I'm shocked that they even had the time to work on a tie in. Also being a download title means it probably won't be that expensive. From a preview I read it actually is shaping up pretty nicely. I'll keep checking this out when more info comes in.

18. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

19. Sexy_Snake

Sexy_Snake Guest

I could honestly see people losing intrest in the series and video game, unfortunatly

20. Jinbo71

Jinbo71 New Member

I'm still amazed that Activision got Platinum Games of all developers to make this game.