The Legend of Korra "The Terror Within" Talkback [7/25/14]

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Neo Yi, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Neo Yi

Neo Yi :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

Premieres: Friday, July 25, 2014 at 8:00 PM EST on Nick
    Encores: Click here for updates

The Terror Within
    Previous Talkbacks:
    A Breath of Fresh Air
    Rebirth
    The Earth Queen

In Harm's Way
    The Metal Clan

Old Wounds
    Original Airbenders

You can also discuss general Legend of Korra news in the Korra News and Discussion Thread.

Korra may be moving to digital distribution, so a friendly reminder that tonight's episode "The Terror Within" is still going to air on Nickelodeon.

Discuss

2. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Member

Saw the episode before it was over. I'm just as worried about Korra's safety as Lin is but it's good to see her showing some backbone.

3. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

Well this was an excisting that went by so fast. I was really hoping we would find out the Red Lotus motive, what do they want? Poor Bolin can't get metal bending I am sure he will get it at most opptune time. And goobye Opal we hardly knew you.

I loved the battle with the Red Lotus, I was at the edge of my seat especially the part when Bolin just hit P'Li in time. And to see Zaheer lose his cool, we haven't seen that all from him.

So there was a tratior in our mist, my first reaction is ask Verrick, maybe he is up to his old tricks. But than I had a feeling this Lie detector guy was the traitor. So now that we know there are more than 4 members of the Red Lotus, anyone can be a suspect, could the Earth Queen be a Red Lotus, I hope not, I like her as just a jerk ruler. I wouldn't have suspect this, but thanks to the Walker brothers, Suyan I have my eyes on you. I doubt it, her talk about the Earth Queen as some reason for me to suspect her involved in this.

Anyway I thought Zaheer's plot of capturing Korra and breaking into the Metal City, it reminds me of how Azula took down Ba Sing Se from the inside. This episode was fall of callbacks, Verrick remember framing Mako, to the underground passage that Hiroshi had. What an episode, I can't wait for the next one.

So long television.

4. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Now I could go on a huge long tirade on the whole move to digital and how horribly Nickelodeon went about it. And how they didn't even air any promotion whatsoever to notify kids since I'm sure there are those watching wondering how come lately they've been getting two Korra episodes and are now just getting the one, and won't be getting anymore next week. And just how pointless it is especially when the season is more then half over anyway but look, this is a talkback about the actual episode not the hullabalu surrounding it so let's focus on that shall we?

Now I made it clear back in season two the weakest episode not only of the season, of Korra itself, and perhaps the entire Avatar franchise was "The Sting". Which was amongst other things, an attempt to turn the show into a suspensful mystery whodunit with the traditional obvious answer and then swerve that even if you did see coming, didn't really want to see. It's not that I was against the series trying to have a mystery but it was just executed in a really poor matter. And honestly this episode is a good example of how to do it right, and actually make the entire thing work. And allow me to list the reasons why it did compared to the example found in the previous season.

First off, this actually bothers to tie into the main plot. Okay granted there was a connection between the entire "cause friction amongst the water tribes and then kidnap the president to drive the nation into war" but it felt rather unrelated to the main story. And honestly felt like it was there to give the other main characters a purpose. Because otherwise they weren't fitting in with the story involving the spirits and harmonic convergance and Unalaq's whole plan so sure give them something to do in Republic City. Here though the entire conspiracy is actually the A story for the season as it directly relates to our main gang of villians. Plus unlike say an explosion at a peaceful walkthrough this comes after an action packed sequence saving Korra from kidnappers and wanting to chase them down and figure out what their deal is. So you know something related to the entire cast present in the episode instead of feeling like part of just a tag along sidestory. Also probably helps the entire team is on the same page and we don't have any poitnless friction between them. Korra isn't breaking people's desk, Asami isn'tcryig back into Mako's arms who isn't making deals with criminal scum to get a leg up on the compettition and Bolin isn't making any "movers". Granted at least the later was enjoyable but again didn't really connect to the story at all so obviously was in a sense filler. Which eventually did lead to him being kind of annoying which again isn't preferable over being actually affective.

Second off, the actual players in the mystery and the motives were ones you actually are curious about and want to find out about, not "oh these guys are obnoxious and too obvious" or "wait why this? I don't want this at all!". Seriously last time around we either had idotic remants of the triades, one dimensional idiot cops who seemed to be corrupt, Unalaq's troops who were ironically enough about as one dimensional as the prograpanda was making him, oh and Verrick. You know, the guy NO ONE wanted to see on the wrong side and enjoyed and worked more as comedy relief or a finiacal helper. Here though, there's intrigue in everyone. Obviously in Zaheer's group and what they're doing, but who amongst the people could wind up being the traitor. And though I did get it a bit ahead of time it actually was a good twist having the truth sayer (yeah I know he has a name and I totally forgot it. my bad) be the one behind it. Because you don't question truth saying as that was something established in the last series and nothing the guy's done has seriously tipped his hand or anything yet he wasn't noticably overtly good. So it actually being him who had the way and was suppling the group with the time table and what not works without it feeling terribly forced or grating to get to. Especially when the team is picking up the clues and springing it on him in that same episode. And that brings me to another thing to enjoy about this one

As thirdly, Lin wasn't an unsuffreable idiot! Yeah again as bad as Korra was botched in season two, Lin was botched even moreso since she wasn't a character, but just a grumpy cop who had to be proven wrong. Here though she actually feels three dimensional. At first I was a bit annoyed at her constantly snapping at Sue but you know you could blame a stressful situation and just wanting to make sure of not being double crossed. But actually thanking her when they worked together to save Korra and comforting her when Sue was heart broken about what happened to the truth sayer show she does care and actually does have an emotion other then "grrr I don't like what's happening here." Plus it's not like she's just being unreasonably dismissive of whatever Korra and the gang are doing: she believes them when they say what happened and wants to obviously protect Korra, but is trying to play the more defensive game here. I'm sure there's a reason since it's hinted at there's a lot of tension and it seems more and more that this group probably were the ones responsible for Aang's death so obviously they're people not to be really trifiled with. Still though it actually works giving a conflict without forcing it and when you see Korra go out on her own to search for them it's not a "yeah screw her" sort of thing as you can even sort of wonder if this is the right thing to do. And it's that actual balance that makes again the story flow a lot more naturally.

So yeah between a better mystery with better potential perps as well as our characters being in a state where you want to focus on them, this works a lot better. Also probably doesn't hurt that though the action here isn't especially stand out, it really does work. And there are a lot of good moments from the lavabending little island fortress to Zaheer being grabbed and knocked away having to fight other metal benders to Bolin managing to hit Sue (granted not as awesome as when Sokka did it to kill combustion man but still a good moment) to even Korra managing to metal bend out the door, it all works well. Plus some good funny bits to Bolin pointing out Korra can master metal faster being the Avatar, Verrick's new airbender finder that needs airbending to actually work (I'm guessing Korra or someone has it actually and is using it to also help track down Zaheer... that'd be the smart thing to do) Bolin calling the lavabending cool but also bad for their side, Verrick pointing out how he got Mako framed and sent to jail as the same thing happening here "just put it back... you forgot where you put it didn't you?", "yeah I don't even know why I'm trying to lie to you. You're a truth sayer, and also that's not how you sound like" and a few other scattered jokes here or there. Honestly not a stand out episode or anything as there were some weird focus elements (why spend so much time on Opal leaving in the opening exactly?) but nothing that distracting. So yeah a fine episode that makes me look forward to more.

.... And now I'm ending the review before I rant on how stupid Nick is for how they're going to go about showing us more.

5. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Active Member

This episode was definitely a good one. I'm actually a little bummed that I have to wait til next week to find out more.

For once, the revelation of the spy caught me by surprise. I can only imagine how the Comic Con folks felt watching the whole fiasco.

What I should note is how much better Team Avatar looks. Before Book 3 started, I DREADED the awkwardness that Mako and his wrecked harem would have. But now, I don't have that feeling anymore. The 3 are able to talk to one another so realistically and Korra snapping at Mako over her metal bending was actually quite refreshing (and she put his butt in place, too; not common in cartoons at all). Shippy feels are gone in this season, even the little 'hints' that aren't necessarily romantic that shippers would still run 10 miles with. And in this cartoon age where boy and girl characters can never be just friends, it's a beautiful thing.

Bolin is still my least favorite character though. Comic relief is great to relax a story, but not as a character trait. Ever since Book 1, I could never take Bolin seriously. Tonight's fiasco with Combustion Lady would've been a whole lot better if Bolin has used a hunk of metal to stun her, as that would've been SOME character development. But alas, he's still adding nothing to the team. It shouldn't last though, as the guy is guaranteed to learn metal bending by the end of this season.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Figures Aiwei was going to be the mole. No one would've suspected the guy who's doing the interrogations. I'm just glad the characters caught on early. And for the first time this season, I'm really impressed with Mako. His detective skills really came in handy!
    And MAN were things intense in this episode! I was like "OH DANG!" when we saw that bomb in Aiwei's basement. Heck, just as it was getting somewhere, the episode ended! Man, I can't wait for next week!

7. The Crimson Chin

The Crimson Chin New Member

My only complaint is that I personally don't like the term 'Combustionbending." I prefer the technique to be just called "Combustion." But whatever minor nitpick. Interesting how P'Li can control where her chi blasts go. Great imporvement over Combustion Man.

8. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Me every Thursday

I love how the SpongeBob episode that replaces the second Korra is Squid Baby...............urgh.

Anyways, this was an astounding send-off to TV airings of Korra, but I love how they didn't bother to tell viewers that it's moving online after the episode finished.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. There was a lot of tension during the attempted kidnapping. The whole fight scene was really good and the plan to rescue Korra was well thought out. I wasn't expecting Bolin to metal bend during the fight. That would be way too soon after the beginning already established that he still can't do it. Plus, I figured that he'd be able to hit the combustion woman with the small rock like he did during his training anyway. My guess is that he'll figure it out during the season finale instead.

I kind of figured that the Aiwei would be the real mole. No one would have suspected the living lie detector. While I'm still not a fan of Mako, I have to admit that his detective skills really came in handy here during the investigation. Plus, there was more Varrick in this episode, which automatically improves its quality as far as I'm concerned, and he does have experience with planning evidence to create a conspiracy. Bolin is more entertaining by comparison, but he still comes off as primarily comedy relief with not much else to make him a more engaging character. His relationship with Opal doesn't help much either since I still find it to be rather forced. Varrick trying to pass on love advice and an airbender detector was hilarious.

I was really caught off guard by the bomb. I definitely didn't see that coming, so that was pretty intense. Suyin's initial expression when she first heard the news looking more worried than hurt, along with how she allowed for Korra to go after Aiwei when Lin pointed out how there could be other moles all over the world, almost makes me wonder if she's in league with them. I doubt that's the case when her overall demeanor doesn't really give that impression, but after last season's painfully predictable villain, having someone being a villain would be kind of refreshing in that sense.

It's too bad that they didn't even bother to say that the episodes will be available online, but I'm not surprised that they did that. It kind of ties into how poorly Nickelodeon has handled this season in general and how much they clearly don't care about the show enough to announce it moving to digital distribution. Overall, it was a pretty good episode. There were some funny moments, good action and a nice intense cliffhanger, so I'm curious what happens to see in the next episode.

10. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

What are you people saying? You always suspect the interrogator! What kind of city only has ONE truthsayer? That is a situation bound for corruption if you ask me. Checks-and-balances are important and Suyin didn't appear to have any when it came to Aiwei. Since Suyin was the one who suggested that they drop from the ceiling I didn't suspect her, but at the same time she could have set up the Avatar at the end. It's good to have a feeling of doubt because the writers are keeping me guessing. Somebody had to plant those log books at the soldiers house and it's still not obvious whether Suyin has pure motives.

Speaking of planting evidence. That exchange between Varrick and Mako made the episode for me. Varrick is one of the best characters on the show because the writers know how to integrate comedy and exposition in his dialog. Making a reference to the previous season was a nice touch. I also appreciated how Mako's detective skills were being used once again. The focus of his character as an investigator works well and has helped the crew more often than not. His deductions aligned well with what I was thinking and seeing it reflected in the episode made the characters look competent.

The action scene was great. I was wondering when Zaheer would fail at something. I appreciate good villains, but I don't want a repeat of Amon who won practically everything until the last battle (and even then he got away). I did have a gripe with how nobody dies in shows like Avatar. There is a giant pool of lava, fire, and rocks flying all around and people were barely injured. The guard who grabbed Zaheer's arms had the chance to drag Zaheer into the lava but he choose to lift Zaheer over the lava instead. I dislike it when people aren't as aggressive as the situation would call for.

Am I the only one who thinks lavabending is too much? In order to form lava the rocks have to be HIGHLY compressed and hot. I would think lavabending would be something reserved for the avatar who can bend fire and earth at the same time. I dunno, I just don't like a normal person having that ability. The same goes for astral projection. Spirit bending and air bending are avatar skills. Also, combustion bending sounds weird. Perhaps just combustion or some other catch word for controlled fire would have worked better.

11. The Crimson Chin

The Crimson Chin New Member

Waterbenders can make water into steam and ice, so it makes sense that Earthbenders can make earth into lava.

12. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

I never liked that Waterbenders could change water to ice so I wouldn't like lava bending either.

Metal Benders can't make Earth into metal or clay as far as I know, but Ghazan has just become the exception. I still don't like how Ghazan can lavabend so easily. That should take an enormous amount of concentration and it seems overpowered for something that can be done without hesitation. It's fiction so I'll go along with it.

13. cwjakesteel

cwjakesteel This grass tastes like pants.

More than likely Earthbenders run the metal-making business. I'm glad that the show is really exploring the depth of the control of the elements. What is earth, will be bended to the bender's will.

Also, one of the reasons why Amon was so powerful and didn't lose until the very end is because of his powerful blood bending. He could literally handicap his opponent at a distance an manipuate their own movements to make it seem like he was dodging Korra's air blasts or water blasts by himself.

But about lava bending. It is simply stretching the definition of the elements. For example, metal never used to be though as earth, even though it is always a component of earth (the three components of earth being sand, silt and clay, all metal oxides). Seperate the oxygen and you get metal.

It's the same with Fire. What you see when you see fire is the electron exchanging between the fuel and oxygen in a localized area. So it would make sense that fire benders can shoot lightning since fire is literally electricity. If you get a strong enough magnet and put a fire near it you will see the fire bend towards it.

Now only air hasn't been developed as far as the other elements. I would really like to see how the creators are going to expand on how air bending can be used in cool ways like lava, lightning and blood bending.

Being able to make earth as hot as fire also shows how all the elements are connected, just as fire needs air to breath.

14. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Active Member

I would think that they could bend inclement weather phenomenon like tornados or hurricanes. Aang has shown that a single Airbender can run in a circle and make a twister, so if they can do that, surely they could harness one made by Mother Nature.

15. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Active Member

Compatriots,

didn't expect the human lie detector to be the traitor but it was obvious after he said the 18 year old was lying. nice to see mako use his detective intuition and i wonder what zaheers next plan of attack is.

16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

When Suyin found about Aiwei being affiliated with the Red Lotus, the way she darted her eyes makes me feel she's hiding secrets too. What do you guys think?

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

That's what first made me suspicious of her too. The expression looked more worried than being sad or hurt over her trust being broken. Maybe she was worried that he gave away some big secret she has.

18. cwjakesteel

cwjakesteel This grass tastes like pants.

It's hard to say...to me, when she first 'discovered' that it was Aiwei, she looked like she wasn't that surprized and more worried. I think she had a lingering notion that Aiwei was affiliated with the Red Lotus but disregarded it because she thought it wouldn't come back to bite her, but in the end, it did. So that "darting of the eyes" is I think a sign of her own guilt.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

That would be more fitting with her personality than making her a villain. She could just be feeling guilty if she thought he was reformed from whatever he did in the past. It's still suspicious behavior and we'll have to see how she behaves around Lin when they interact again about Korra and the gang leaving, but it's possible that she just felt guilty.

20. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

Very good episode, and I do like that Mako's police training came back into play