The Legend of Korra "The Sting" Talkback [10/11/13]

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Neo Yi, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Neo Yi

Neo Yi In a Dream, I Can See, You Are Not Far Away... Moderator Reporter

2. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

That propaganda movie was surprisingly highly amusing/

Its almost at the level of that movie played in the martial arts tournament in DBZ that depicted Hercules supposed victory of Cell.

3. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Jim Cummings narration ftw.

4. ToonFan83

ToonFan83 I'll grow old, but never up

I really hope Varrick being involved is a red herring. It's just too obvious.

Edit: And of course he is.

5. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! (Asami kissing Mako), oh my god they just wont let this so called love triangle die....

6. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Yeah, I'm just waiting to see Doug Walker's reaction to it.

7. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

Great episode, except for the kiss, couldn't resist writers couldn't you, hopefully this is just a one time thing, I don't want a rehash of last season's love triangle. And anmessa, such a cliche, please don't let this led to some bad guy able minipulate her to be evil.

Well we should have known it was Varrick. The guy is a snake, but I love his evil voice, "hello Mako", that is awesome. But I really loved this episode, this wasn't Avatar, this is the detective Mako show and I wouldn't mind if every episode was like this.

Now that Mako has turned over a new leaf this season, the new jerk bender is now Bolin. The attention goes to his head plot, so cliche. You know what I am now rooting Eska to find him.

I wonder how this Varrick plot will end. With controling interest what does he plan to do? Future Industries destined to be run by criminals?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
  8. magicdog

magicdog New Member

Did you mean "amnesia"? I wasn't expecting that so I'm surprised they pulled that. Obviously this is why Korra must go into the spirit world - to rediscover herself one avatar at a time.

Interesting she washed up near the temple of the fire sages.

Was there ever any doubt Verrick was behind all this? No one else benefitted more from all the fuss. Now that he has controlling interest in Asami's company, he could own all the shipping and manufacturing businesses. He's got a wedge between Mako & Bolin (who is acting uncharacteristically jerky) and Mako still can't get any respect from the brass on his theories.

As for Asami's kiss, well, I'm not upset she did it! I was surprised Mako didn't kiss her back. That could mean he's still into Korra.

Ginger speaks!

I'm surprsed the "movers" are already "talkies" since they're supposed to be a very new development in the Avatarverse. I was expecting to hear musical accompaniment with title cards like traditional silent films.

Naga is an "Arctic Panda" now! Not to mention he & Pabu "talk" in the adventures!

9. Kindness King

Kindness King New Member

I'm not taking any stock into that kiss with Asami yet. Its been a while since I watched the first season, I don't even know if we saw which one of them ended it last season. If they have them get back together but don't make it a love triangle with Korra, I'm okay with it. But it would be unnecessary to pull that all over again. That was the one part of last season's ending I won't defend.

10. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

I believe there was some guesses that Varreck was behind the attacks and it's a shame since he seemed like such a fun character.
    I think Mako needs to make a phone call to Eska and for once Bolin would deserve it though Bolin is right that Mako did give him those lines when he asked for help.
    And I bet that Mako ends up doing his own private eye thing at the end since the police are really no help.

I think Mako wasn't expecting the kiss plus his breakup with Korra wasn't long ago.

I was expecting silent filming too though considering they have radios Varreck probably put 2 + 2 together.

11. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

I also wouldn't put it past Varrick is playing both sides in the civil war, he might have struck a deal with Unalaq with the failed kidnapping attempt, Varrick set up those rebels to take the fall so Unalaq can win Korra's favor.

12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

Wow. So this episode.
    First, I'm also surprised they got sound in their movies already. Ah well, I guess if they managed to get mech suits going, they advanced faster than our world does.
    It seems that if Bolin's not a wuss, he's an insufferable jerk. I'm glad that all lead to Mako figuring out that Varrick was the bad guy. Speaking of which, I was kind of hoping he wouldn't be. But seeing him now, all evil and coy, makes me actually like him more. I can't wait to see where that leads.
    Asami kissing Mako.....jeez. I am happy with Mako's reaction. He's taken aback, and it doesn't seem like he feels the same way for her anymore. So that's good. Hopefully, that'll just end there.
    Korra losing her memory.....I'm not too interested in all that. But I doubt no one's going to mold her to be evil. She's in good hands with the Fire Temple sages.

All in all, an interesting episode.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator Moderator

I thought that this was a pretty good episode. Bolin was being a jerk to Mako, but a part of me couldn't really blame him after Mako disregarded him in the last episode. Bolin not being able to tell that Ginger wasn't into him and getting caught up in the fame was predictable though. Mako and Asami being double-crossed was also expected, but the chase scene near the end was pretty good. I could have done without the kiss scene though. It just felt awkward and Mako doesn't seem to feel the same about Asami, which will hopefully prevent them from trying that annoying love triangle again.

I wasn't too surprised that Varrick turned out to be a villain. They've already shown how corrupted he is with just this war propaganda movie alone and he has the most to gain from making the North look bad, as well as gaining more power over Future Industries. I could definitely see Mako becoming a private detective at the end of the season or in the next season. No one really gives him any attention at the police station and being a detective would fit more with how he was handling this sting operation.

Korra losing her memory is at least an interesting reason to get her to go into the Spirit World. I highly doubt that she'll become evil. The Fire Temple sages are going to help her to regain her memories, not make a bigger problem. Overall, it was a pretty good episode. After how annoying and unlikable Korra has been for me in the last few episodes, it was nice to give her a break for most of the episode and hopefully, her journey to regain her memory will make her more likable. Hopefully, the next episode will be interesting to watch too.

14. Korra_Fan

Korra_Fan Member

Hopefully the complaints about Asami not doing much or "lacking personality" (which, again, I thought was an issue with her LAST season and not this one) will end now.

But please, writers. PLEASE don't bring that love triangle back. Asami has proven to be more interesting when kept away from the badly-written romance of this show.

15. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

I figured on the "movers" there's an actual person in the theater that's given a script and live dubs what's on the screen.

16. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I am glad they chose this time slot. Everywhere else would just have it lost in the shuffle.

17. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

That last scene with Varrick was great. I hope this isn't a fake-out and he is actually a deadly guy.

18. Dub C

Dub C Just a animation lovin' dude

I could definitely see Mako ending up as a P.I. after all of this too. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a spin-off project of that if it ends up being as enjoyable as this episode was, minus the Bolin jerk moments. Seriously, in the season that seems to be tearing down some of the characters, they've done a pretty good job in build Mako up.

Put me in the camp that isn't reading to much into the kiss. Asami's in an emotional state and clearly had some lingering feelings for Mako surface, but Mako didn't "bite" if you will. So as long as they keep it as an awkward moment, it's fine. Also nice to finally hear what Ginger sounds like. And as mentioned, there were enough signs to suggest that Varrok was at play in the Republic City happenings. I mentioned it last week, his line towards Asami was pretty telling. "If you can't make money during a war, then you just can't make money." Right now, he's a FAR more compelling antagonist than Unalaq.

19. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

I concur. He's one of the best villains in the entire franchise! Most villians come off as menacing from the start, and those that don't, usually become good in the end. Varrick, started off as fun and goofy and still does! He's still able to mask his villainous demeanor better than anyone else. But then again, no one's really tried. But that's what brings him a breath of fresh air.

20. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

Agreed with both of you. I'm so relieved the Big Bad of this season isn't Unalaq after all. The best part is, he can still be funny WHILE being a serious threat. That's something we haven't seen before. (At least, I hope he'll still be somewhat funny and not turn a complete 180 from this point.)

Also, I never would have seen it coming if so many other people hadn't predicted it last week. I'm slow on these things.