The Legend of Korra "The Stakeout" Talkback [8/1/14]

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Neo Yi, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Neo Yi

Neo Yi In a Dream, I Can See, You Are Not Far Away... Moderator Reporter

[​IMG][​IMG]

Premieres: Friday, August 1, 2014 at 12:00 PM EST on Nick
    Encores: Click here for updates

The Stakeout
    Previous Talkbacks:
    A Breath of Fresh Air
    Rebirth
    The Earth Queen

In Harm's Way
    The Metal Clan

Old Wounds
    Original Airbenders

The Terror Within

You can also discuss general Legend of Korra news in the Korra News and Discussion Thread.

NOTE: A friendly reminder that all future Book 3 episodes will be online only. Nick.com will be hosting a new episode at noon EST, so we're getting it earlier than usual.

Discuss

2. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter! Moderator

That's it? It's only going to be up for an hour?

Jeez, what a small window.

3. Disney15ish

Disney15ish Member

4. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Yeah guess they uploaded it early or maybe the whole "only starting at 12" was changed around. Point is it's up. And I just saw it and will review it but will put it in spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.

And hey, a plus of watching this on Nick.com where I can disable the ads: watching it without commericals reminding me of other stupid Nickelodeon programs that are still being displayed on T.V while this isn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  5. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

Okay here are my thoughts on this episode. I will post them now in a spoiler tag, and post them again at another time when it is not so spolish anymore.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

Normally I'd say it's bad to skip ads since that's how The show makes it's money, but dang it, I can't even watch the show on the app. It says "video not available". So I had to watch it "elsewhere".

Anyhoo, this episode was great, with surprises, revelations, and twists all around.
    We see that the Red Lotus has a goal, that while understandable, is evil in its execution. We also once again see that the our heroes are horribly outmatched. And now Team Avatar is captured by two evil parties!
    Ya know what sucks for Korra is that as much as she hates the Earth Queen, she now has to save her!

7. Looney Tunes Fan

Looney Tunes Fan Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

Don't worry folks, the episode is still up online.

8. WickedChild

WickedChild Kissing the shadows

So it looks like it's on Amazon and X-Box video right now, but not iTunes, Google Play, or Hulu like they promised. Although, I don't have a "participating provider" so I might not be able to see it on Hulu even if it was there. I was hoping Nick would be sensible enough to waive this requirement, seeing as how the show is no longer on TV after all, but Hulu Plus still only shows up to "Old Wounds", they don't even have "The Terror Within" yet. A little common sense was, alas, too much to hope for. So it looks like my only hope to watch this on my TV tonight without buying an X-Box or a Fire TV is to break out the ol' DVI cable and schlep my laggy old computer over next to the TV. Well, that's the price I have to pay, I guess, to loyally support a network that limits my viewing options (well that and the $50/month I pay for a cable subscription that I'll no longer be watching Nickelodeon on). I wonder if I should do them the courtesy of turning AdBlock Plus off...

Any official word yet on these other viewing options we were promised?

9. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    It's a shame such a good show (even if not as good as the original) is getting treated like this, large internet audience or not. I don't see this working out in the end...

Darn shame, this show was really stepping up for me.

10. ToonFan83

ToonFan83 I'll grow old, but never up

Actually, it is on Google Play.

I don't think the show will be on iTunes anymore. I don't know why Nick would make that decision.

Throwing your partner into that valley is not going to get Korra on your side, Zaheer.

And is it possible that Suyin is part of the Red Lotus? She thinks having an Earth monarchy is wrong and the Red Lotus wants to get rid of world governments.

11. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

Getting rid of monarchy and getting world goverment are two different things. And Suyan is a world leader, so she is a a target for the Red Lotus down the line.

12. Neo Yi

Neo Yi In a Dream, I Can See, You Are Not Far Away... Moderator Reporter

No, it's still up. That was a mistake I forgot to edit. Hey, cut me a break, I made this at 3 in the morning! :p

13. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Member

Saw the near end of the episode.

Just when you think things have been better, they get worse instead! Korra and her friends are all caught, no thanks to Zaheer!

Why have things been this bad for Korra? By the looks of it, she's on the losing streak once again!

I'll never bother seeing this episode again.

14. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Me every Thursday

Ugh, Nick's player sucks, it keeps freezing and keeps taking me back to the first 2 minutes whenever I try to correct it.

15. Tash

Tash New Member

They also had Unlaq in their ranks, so they're not really above allowing government officials in their ranks.

16. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

If they call it a Jeep does that mean Popeye also exists in some capacity as a popular fictional character in this world?

17. cwjakesteel

cwjakesteel This grass tastes like pants.

I wonder what kind of bender Popeye would be.

That thing that Korra was in at the end of the episode...is overkill...But she should be able to Earthbend like King Bumi who could earthbend because his face was exposed in that episode where he was captured by the Fire Nation.

I miss when Korra got 2 episodes in a row...now I'm spoiled and left wanting.

18. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

Just when I thought Korra was improving she goes and does something like this. I don't know what they were expecting to accomplish by confronting benders who are much more powerful than they are. The only ending would have been death or capture. Now Korra knows WHY they wanted to kidnap her but it really doesn't matter because the point is that Red Lotus wanted to kidnap her and she walked into their hands.

Speaking of Red Lotus. I guess there is more to be revealed, but I don't see what they would accomplish by kidnapping the avatar. The spirits are already free and with the combined power of the Red Lotus they can probably take out any government they want - avatar alive or dead. I'm surprised they didn't already try to throw the Earth Kingdom into chaos after their escape. Unalaq seems like the type of person who wants power, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one to allow the Red Lotus to be captured. I think that they are wasting time trying to capture Korra. They could be causing a bunch of chaos RIGHT NOW.

Did I miss something about the spirit world? Why can't Aiwei regain consciousness to reality just because Zaheer threw him into a pit. Seems like they can instantly wake out of that state.

19. cwjakesteel

cwjakesteel This grass tastes like pants.

Aiwei can't escape from that pit. That pit was a plot element in season 2. Don't quite remember the specifics but once you're in there you're stuck because you go crazy down there. I imagine that he could escape if he woke up while he was falling. It's a terrible fate for him if he's actually stuck down there.

While Aiwei and Zaheer were in the spirit world, we see the corruption that is within the Red Lotus. Zaheer was ready to punish Aiwei because he failed him. We don't know what punishment Aiwei would have gotten if Korra didn't show up, but that shows you that Zaheer is really heartless. His cause is only political for him to treat his own (red lotus member) so cruelly.

For the Red Lotus to take out the earth kingdom they would need to assimilate their members, but it's possible that they believe that war is not the way to eliminate the world's governments. We saw that Zao Fu really was the safest place on earth. The Red Lotus was no match for a dozen metal benders in a city completely surrounded by metal (probably).

I think they want to capture the avatar for the same reason the Fire Nation wanted to capture Aang. If the avatar is killed, another one will just be reborn. And of course so they can "brainwash" her. They want to create a lawless world (kind of like what Liquid Ocelot wanted to do in the Metal Gear Solid series). Why though? Do they think this is really the right path? Is there some secret authority behind it? They claimed to split from the White Lotus because the White Lotus became corrupt and forgot its original cause, but Iroh, King Bumi, and Sokka's sword master, who were a part of the White Lotus didn't seem like the types for putting the world into chaos. So clearly there was a twisting of philosophy from the time of Aang to the time of Korra.

In this episode we also learned more about the Pi Sho game, which is how the White Lotus members identified each other in the original series. Remember when Bolin said to Korra "to standardise the Pi Sho game" because it was played differently in different cultures? I think that is a foreshadowing of what Korra will have to do in the future. She will have to choose which style is the right style to play Pi Show (the red lotus way or the white lotus), and she will help to enforce whichever she thinks is best.

No doubt the future encounter she will have with the Earth Queen will only turn her more towards the Red Lotus, seeing how corrupt the Queen is. I like how the story is going.

I also have to wonder how these benders became so powerful, while the white lotus guys really act like henchmen. They are just there to be punching bags and to slow progress down for their enemies, but undoubtedly failing no less. And remember how Zaheer kept talking about the air bender who became weightless? One with the air? I think that is a sign that he is power hungry.

20. Aldrius

Aldrius Arrogant Instigator

Honestly I think the Queen and Korra will end up being forced to work together.

They're four powerful and unique benders... the Earth Queen has the Dai Li (which the Airbenders ESCAPED, not defeated) and an entire army at her disposal. They could maybe be insurgents, but they certainly wouldn't be able to overthrow the Earth Queen. Maybe the president of the united nations, but I'm not sure.