The Legend of Korra "The Spirit of Competition" Talkback [5/5/12]

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Bryan, May 5, 2012.

1. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

[​IMG][​IMG]

#105 - "The Spirit of Competition"

Premieres: Saturday, May 5 at 11:00am ET/PT on Nickelodeon
    Encores: Click here for updates

2. Gold Starz

Gold Starz "Evil Resides In Crystal Cove"

Korra, stop trying to break up AsaMako and get with Bolin!

3. Blackmanba

Blackmanba New Member

Poor Bolin! I feel for him, I really do.

4. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Korra is just like Aang when it comes to love. LOL

5. ToonFan83

ToonFan83 I'll grow old, but never up

This is why I didn't want any romance in this series; especially between the main characters.

6. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

I'm not really interested in the Pro bending plot and love triangles never do anything for me so this episode probably won't be that great to me.

7. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Active Member

Totally forgot about the waterbending healing thing.

Also, just throwing my personal opinion out there. The whole "ugh, romance this early" criticism is kind of getting on my nerves here. Not that I'm shouting out loud, making a big fuss about shippings or anything, but this was bound to happen guys. And they're all teenagers (Bolin is a fun teenager though). You'd think between stuff like Degrassi and even Young Justice and all the leaks of the romance aspect that... I dunno, people would be more tolerant about this? Also, we had romance-based episodes like this in the original series. Maybe they were not as full of hormones as in this series, but still. When I'm considering everything I just mentioned I'm not exactly getting why this episode is bothering so many people. Not that I wouldn't like to know why mind you.

While we're at it, can I get an explanation for not being into the probending aspect too? I mean, unless it's a disinterest towards sports in general, then... I'm lost.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  8. jhpark

jhpark New Member

I'm not a big fan of the pro-bending either, and the love triangle was pretty meh. I'd count this one as filler even though the tight timeline was supposed to mean there wouldn't be any. I guess all the eps can't be about Amon and Korra's quest to learn airbending though

I'm still waiting for her to meet Aang.

9. FightingDreamer

FightingDreamer Mutant on the Rise

I was eating this stuff up, honestly. It's teen romance done RIGHT, by God. And it did move the pro-bending plotline along with great haste.

10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

I thought all this shipping would ruin the episode, and I'm not too big of a fan of pro-bending. But the part with the Wolfbats at the restaurant, the close matches in the pro-bending relying on just one member were pretty cool. What made this episode for me was Bolin crying. I mean, I know his heart was broken but that was still hilarious!

11. gohstphantomhive

gohstphantomhive 99% synchronization level

I personally liked the fact that the writers decided to go ahead and put the romance in earlier, that way it doesn't become this big overlying plot that spans the entire series. I think that since they got their feelings out there and handled the brother against brother stick so quickly and Efficiently that the show can now focus more on the important things.
    on the other hand, why does the girl always have to call for tall dark and moody? I'd personally have a guy whose more open about his feelings and makes me laugh than some inverted socialite. Bo Lin was amazing! in the ring and out of the ring! and I have to say: while both boys may have ( and still do?) like korra, Bo Lin was the one who was man enough to ask her out first, and treat her to a good time.
    WHY MUST THE GOOD ONES ALWAYS GET THE SHORT STICK!

12. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Great episode :anime:
    I enjoy the funny scenes like the restaurant scene,I also enjoy the Probending tiebraker match
    As for Shipping I prefer KorraxBolin

13. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men

Okay, forget last week's. I think this week's episode was the weakest of the bunch so far. I get that the writers probably wanted to get the inevitable love triangle angst out of the way early, but honestly? I'm bored out of my mind of that plotline. It's a cliche and it's tired.

I also like the idea of Probending, but right now it doesn't seem to be doing much to really fit into the story--I liked it when Korra started applying her Airbending lessons to it, for example, since that helped the story along. But this didn't feel like it was doing much plot-wise. And for a show that is shoving a lot of stuff into each episode, it's hard to see the point of its existence at all. Hopefully things will start tying together, but in general, I was very underwhelmed by this one.

Like I said last week, the show is far from bad, but it just doesn't feel like it's firing on all cylinders like it was for the first couple of episodes. I hope it finds its stride again soon.

14. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

Maybe This Shoulda Been Called "Competition For Her Heart"

I didn't think they'd blow through the entire brother triangle in one episode. But now everything's out on the table. Korra knows both brothers have feelings for her. And both brothers know they have feelings for her. And Korra knows she has feelings for Mako, but that Bolin is a good time. The only one in the dark is Asami. Ahhhh, young love.

I don't completely believe Mako when he said that he didn't want Korra to use Bolin to get to him. I think he's got a case of "the grass is greener on the other side". He doesn't want Korra but doesn't want anyone else to have her either.

Bolin's over reaction to his brother's backstabbing....PRICELESSS!!!!!!:D

Bolin brought it to the sudden death tie breaker. And Korra kept their dreams alive. Mako better get his head in the game.

Korra's voice actress Janet Varney has her own opinions on the triangle.

IGN: Not to poke that bear much further, but there does seem to be a potential love triangle among Korra, Mako and Bolin. If you were to guess, between the two of them, which guy do you think Korra prefers? I'm sure you'll be getting that question in a lot of fan letters soon....

Varney:
    [Laughs] Yeah. I mean... as Korra, that's one question -- and I can't answer that because we've got to let her figure that out for herself. As me, I couldn't love my cohorts P.J. Byrne and David Faustino more. I just adore them, and any opportunity to be in a room with them is just a kick in the pants, I love it. Having said that, character-wise, I'm more of a Bolin girl. I just love the geeky comedy boys! Those are the guys I go for.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/122/1222838p1.html

15. spartanx54

spartanx54 New Member

Great episode, even if it didn't involve Equalists. But I liked the development with the Korra/Bolin/Mako/Asami romance stuff.

Felt bad for Bolin, I really hope he gets together with Korra.

Overall I'm enjoying this show a lot, and I'm excited about where they go after the tournament episodes...

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I thought that this episode was okay. I don't mind going through the love triangle this early and going through the relationship issue right now will probably help prevent it from taking up too much as the series progresses. Before this episode, I was okay with the Korra x Mako pairing, despite being cliched, and I thought that Bolin was just being a flirt at first but now, I greatly prefer Korra x Bolin. They clicked more in their date than Korra and Mako did, Bolin showed how much he cares about Korra and they were having a fun time. Even though Korra and Mako clearly like each other, Bolin seems like the sweeter option to me. Plus, I felt so bad for Bolin when his heart was crushed, so that's another reason why I'd hope for the two of them to get together at some point.

The probending is okay, but I also liked it a bit more when Korra was using it as a way to apply her Airbending lessons in order to work more on her training. It did provide some decent action and I liked how their first match showed how well they worked together. I wasn't expecting Korra to know how to heal with her Waterbending. For some reason, I thought that she would only be able to fight with her Waterbending skills, but it makes sense that Katara would teach her. Overall, the episode was okay, although it would be my least favorite out of the episodes that have aired thus far. It offered a nice break from the Amon plot and we did need a slightly more light-hearted episode after what happened last week, but it was just okay for me. I hope that next week's episode will be more enjoyable to watch.

17. Arsenal

Arsenal Magneto was right

This episode made me miss Aaron Ehasz. In general, its script seemed unpolished to me.

It's not that I mind romantic quadrangles, but this episode indulged in a lot of cliches without any subtlety. For example, did anybody doubt that Bolin was going to see the Mako-Korra kiss? Or that Mako was going to get maybe-jealous over the Bolin pity date? Or that Korra was going to accept the Bolin pity date after being rejected by Mako?

I mean, I've seen this plot... a lot.

But the absolute nadir was the burping contest. The Bolin-Korra could have been an opportunity to show us more of what these characters have in common or, contrarily, their differences. Instead, we got "they both like Water Nation food and enjoy a loud burp." (Though, I'll admit, the moment was almost salvaged by the horrified couple near them's reaction.)

Also, I didn't buy the resolutions -- at least not between Korra and the boys. Two brothers who only have each other aren't going to hold grudges against one another. But they'd likely be cool toward the woman who (unmaliciously) split them.

Moreover, I don't think Korra scoring a hat trick was the sort of redemptive moment that the writers thought it would be. It didn't feel like "Korra keeping them together." It felt like Korra winning a match.

This is Avatar so the art was still gorgeous, but I didn't care for this one much.

18. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

While this was probably the weakest of the episodes so far it was also one of the funnier ones too. I laughed at Korra's frankness when she just admitted her feelings, the couple's reaction to Korra/ Bolin's burping, and the best one being that usually in scenes where you see the other guy see his crush kissing someone else they just walk away dramatically...him reacting in the most childish way possible was just so fitting for him.

19. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Bo Lin running off like a little girl was just hilarious. I didn't think they'd play it up as comedy.

I can't wait to see Tahno get his~!

20. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

Well it is an okay episode. Let's just do all the romance plots in one episode. This is defentely the anti A:TLA, and Korra is defentely the anti Aang. Their romantic plots took forever to develop, it took Aang 2 and half seasons to make his move on Katara, I love how Korra and the guys are like f that, we are putting everything out in the open right now.

I wonder who that other woman from Tenzin is? If it is Lin, maybe that explains why she hates Korra so much, Avatar family broke her heart, take it out on Korra.

Since I last week episode and Asami said the line about feeling safe around Mako in that carrage ride, that just really make me believe she is going to die. I hope this whole Korra x Mako x Asami love triangle is not solved by Asami dying. That would be a cheap way for things to work out, just like how Mako's money problems were solved in the last episode.If Asami dies fine, but let's settle this love triangle problem first, don't let Mako get off that easy.