The Legend of Korra "The Revelation" Talkback [4/21/12]

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by The Huntsman, Apr 21, 2012.

1. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

[​IMG][​IMG]

#103 - "The Revelation"

Premieres: Saturday, April 21 at 11:00am ET/PT on Nickelodeon
    Encores: Click here for updates

2. Gold Starz

Gold Starz "Evil Resides In Crystal Cove"

I don't like the shortened opening, but I love the new recap.

3. ToonFan83

ToonFan83 I'll grow old, but never up

Mako is Batman.

4. MetroSparkster

MetroSparkster ...has nothing to say.

That is exactly my thought. I'd thought the intro would be like TLA post-pilot.

5. The Talon

The Talon New Member

Epic episode overall. I have been away by this series so fall, but I really hope it can keep it going.

I wasn't a fan of the short title intro, but the old-timey episode recap made up for it.

The owner of the pro-bending league... he kinda made me think of Dana White (the head honcho of the UFC) a little bit. In fact, pro-bending seems to be the Avatar universe's version of MMA entirely.

Wait, the power plant was a steam power plant, right? Because I can't imagine them actually having nuclear energy in this universe.

Makorra shipping everywhere in this episode :p

The idea of gang wars in Republic City is kinda intriguing. Definitely turns the realism & grittiness up a notch.

Mako & Bolin have quite a Batman-esque origin story.

Anyone else getting a communist vibe from the Equalist movement? I'll get back on this later.

Motorcycles? Starting to feel more like the 60's than the 1920's. That being said, motorcycles are awesome.

What a gorgeous fight scene. Truly stunning.

Chi-blocking? Where have I seen that before?

My god, the crowd for "The Revelation" was enormous. Amon seems to be quite a revolutionary.

So, that's his master plan, round up every bender in Republic City to take away their bending. But how did figure out how to do this?

So yeah, the whole twisted mantra of "Equality for everyone" seems to remind me not of the government of communism, but rather the mindset of it. That all men are truly born equal, therefore everything in their lives should also be equal. But here, that goes for their physical abilities as well.

Great episode all in all, can't wait to see next week's.

6. Sailor V

Sailor V Defender Of Justice

Well, this week's episode was interesting. We learn more about the main characters' backstories and Amon has been proven to become a threatening villian. I want to see how the rest of the series can top that. Can't wait for more next week!

7. gohstphantomhive

gohstphantomhive 99% synchronization level

did anyone else notice that korra mako and Bo lins' eyes all matched their primary element? oh and, if korra were to get her bending taken away without being killed, would a new avatar come along? because normally a new avatar can only come along when the previous one has died, so I thought it would be a good goal for the equalists if they wanted to stop all possibilities of an uprising. take the avatars bending away without killing her, preventing a new avatar for at least a couple decades and destroying all chances of being defeated by a korra with full avatar abilities.

8. tommy21

tommy21 New Member

9. Gold Starz

Gold Starz "Evil Resides In Crystal Cove"

1. Those were only the people shown to do it, there were many more considering it was a technique.
    2. That wasn't energy bending, they weren't glowy at at all.

I don't think Amon took the triad's bending away permanently, I think he either targeted knowing they'd freak out at just getting chi blocked, or that he payed them off.

Also, Koh took his face. Koh totally took his face. They wouldn't have brought up the no face thing was important, and why would the Firebender kill the rest of his family and not him, it doesn't add up.

10. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

Well... There is a certain spirit who steals faces, and Amon claims to have no face. It does sort of fit if he were to learn it from Koh.

11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

So this took a little while to really build steam, but by the time it was over Amon was marvelously established as a worthy villain. Excellent.

Bolin being legitimately serious about his ferret circus, his spontaneous exuberance ("yes! Mako! I love you!"), the goofy expressions...the oh yeah, he's basically in the Sokka role, though fortunately not in in the Avatar Book 1 way really.

Korra/Mako have a cool relationship on the surface, but there's a few moments where they bond just a little bit. The "I'll take that as a compliment, city boy" moment is one. And you know the narrative is pushing it with that whole bit where they do the stakeout and fall asleep leaning on each other. And Korra holds his arm while they're undercover...yep. Well it wouldn't be an Avatar show without some overt shipper fuel!

Equalists on motorcycles: nice. So just about every art from Avatar is not only back, but also much more widespread. We have chi blocking and lightning techniques used here, to the point that equalist mooks can use the former and the latter is used for factory work! And the police use metalbending. It's interesting how things have advanced, though I half hope at least one new ability will be innovated in this era.

So the equalist rabblerouser is back, who I will dub revolution guy. "You cannot silence me, Avatar!" Then Korra smacks the megaphone out of his hand. Heh. :anime: Wonder if Korra's treatment of him will get back to Beifong and be a problem?

So the equalists are a pretty substantial group, they drew quite a crowd with this rally. Amon's doing his best to build a cult of personality too: note how he's hyped as a "hero" and "savior" to the lower class.

Amon's purported background parallels Mako's substantially. Mako's parents were killed by a firebending criminal, Amon lost his family to a firebender that exploited his poor, non-bending family. Of course unlike Amon Mako is a bender, and he witnessed a random and senseless crime. The story Amon tells is one of deliberate oppression. So he seems a bit sympathetic, though his rant shifts to fanaticism soon enough. Bending caused every war in every era...yeah, no, that's all about the character of man. Bending is & was just a tool. In Avatar backstory Sozin started a war because he thought Fire Nation culture should be ascendant, Ozai believed the same and turned out to be a power hungry villain.

Amon's ability to energybend is a big surprise, even if he's lying and is secretly a self-hating bender. How could he or anyone even begin to study that technique, let alone acquire it? This doesn't seem like something Aang would leave a record of. At the moment it seems impossible and Tenzin is as surprised and unsettled as anyone else, so for the moment Amon's claim that he's drawing on guidance from the spirits (some, anyway) appears to have at least some basis in the truth. It's at least plausible. It'll be very interesting to see how that mystery unravels.

The commercial for next week tells us that Korra publicly challenges Amon to a duel, notwithstanding the fact that she hasn't mastered all the elements. Why, what could possibly go wrong?! Looks like Amon doesn't plan to play fair either.

So yeah, this story is going places and it's only episode three. This show's in great shape.

12. army128

army128 New Member

I agree on Amon about one thing, bending does cause wars. :sad:

I'm very impressed in this episode. There is a lot of Mako/Korra in this one; I'm slightly believing Korra may actually have a crush on him, but from what I've seen, they're like two dudes working together to save Bolin. Seeing Mako being a detective, deducing plans to rescue & escape were interesting to watch. Bolin carried by Naga's mouth while running away was pretty funny.

I like the fact that they are many lightning benders and chi blockers now. The very rare things we've seen in A:TLA are becoming more common. Now about Amon's way to remove bending was kind of a surprise to me. Even Tenzin was surprised as well. The suspense behind Amon's real identity and how he can do that makes me become interested to this villain.

13. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond New Member

Great episode! The animation is probably the best on television (with Young Justice right behind it), and the fight sequences are awesome! I love how the Equalist Chi-Blockers fight using unarmed Martial Arts similar to Ty Lee.

14. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

What Amon does IS NOT ENERGY BENDING, remember that guru Aang met back in the last air bender where he explained to him all about the Chakras?, he said that the Light Chakra was located on the forehead and that it governed insight and was blocked by illusion or something.

Where am i going with this?, well, Korras big thing is that she doesn't understand the spiritual side of bending and all that stuff, anyway, i bet that Amon discovered some new chi point in the forehead that allows him to block the Light Chakra somehow (hes a chi blocker), so hes not really taking away peoples bending its more like some spiritual blocking mumbo jumbo illusion thing that's blocking their "insight" or whatever so they cant bend anymore.

Anyway, he will probably get Korra with it eventually and she will lose her bending, but then Korra will discover the spiritual side of bending and break the illusion and be able to use her bending again in the finale.

....or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012
  15. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Nuclear power plants (well the type that produce industrial amounts of power) are steam power plants. But no I don't think they have nuclear power: it's likely coal fire plants supplemented with fire and lightning bending.

Yeah, that what their rhetoric and propaganda art style seem to point to but I can't help but think there's some Boxer Rebellion in there (The Equalist use the same boxer fighting style as Ty Lee); but the Boxers were militant reactionaries trying to expel foreign influence and preserve what they saw as their culture while the Communist were militant progressives that were bringing a foreign influence into (and over) their culture (yes both are much more complicated than that but we don't have time for that). I need to find some to do some more research on the Boxers.
    But still primarily Maoist influenced.

Well, keep in mind we saw that spirit ape with a stolen face and it didn't have any eyes (considered part of the face I guess); Amon has eyes.

16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Looking back at the scene, Amon strikes the guy in the back of the neck before touching his forehead. Maybe that's it? Also, come to think of it, there wasn't a light show or anything with Amon's demonstration, which is a big contrast to what Aang did. Good point here.

17. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Great episode :anime:
    Amon is a awesome villain,I enjoy the funny Bolin scenes and the action scenes

18. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

Well now, that's certainly a good way to put Young Justice to shame. Dang, three consecutive episodes of pretty much the exact same budget.

19. Afalstein

Afalstein New Member

Okay. Unfortunately, never saw the original series (working to correct that, I swear) so I can't compare Amon's technique with Aang's. Still, it seems like a ganglord of... whoever it was's stature would be familiar with chi blocking, even an advanced special move like that. Though that is an interesting story idea--Korra has to overcome whatever llusory block is over her powers.

Interesting to see the Chi blockers at work... Amon has some highly trained and well-equipped henchmen. Where does he get the resources, I wonder. Quite a step up from a "farmer's son."

I have a theory that Amon is no farmer's son at all. I'm calling him on being one of Aang's children--Katara mentioned there were three, right? I'm guessing Amo is one of the other two, who didn't get bending abilities and is bitter about it. Perhaps he found the Sea Turtle from stories his father told.

20. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan