1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Legend of Korra" News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Jan 29, 2013.

1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

3. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Overhyping? Definitely, but a lot of their points have merits. You really don't see a show that has this many women of different ages with issues and personalities that doesn't always revolve around men. And the potential romance between Korra and Asami at the end though not even remotely the first animated series to hint or confirm LGBT relations, is still a novel concept in kid's media. And you especially do not see a lot of racial representations, especially one of Avatar and Korra's caliber (and yes, I am admittedly being biased on the last part because I'm Korean. ;D)

So I'll take it!

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Those are some of the better points that they brought up. But it just seemed like they were making it out to be the best thing since slice bread. I think that they were under the impression that it was too risky/adult for Nick to air, which is why they put it on their website instead, but I don't think that was the case.

5. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Not to be "that guy" but... So did the creators have Korra and Asami be together? That's what a ton of online sites are reporting. I'm just wondering if Nick (and the creators) actually would do that or are they just good friends? I mean That's what I thought it was. Or I imagine they just let the fans decide what they want.

D.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Their moment gave off more of a romantic vibe to me more than just platonic love. I think that they made it vague enough to where people could see it either way, but it felt more like they were trying to push for a romantic relationship between them as much as they could.

7. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

You know I was thinking about this today and another thing made me realize that this was more about romance then about just friends. Because if this really was about friends and really just about them taking a journey together as pals, then Bolin and Mako would of been there as well. The last image would of been of the main four of team Korra heading out for an adventure together on an equal level. Because if this was suppose to be about the closeness of friendship it would not of been about just Korra and Asami especially after the other teasing the last two seasons have done. No having just the two of them at the end like that is hinting at a romantic relaitonship. Again if the creators specifically say otherwise then fine but honestly there would be no reason it'd be just Asami and Korra together to showcase friendship especially when the finale was about the unity of the team and what not. Just having the two implies something more, no doubts about that.

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It's been pointed out every other pair in that pose was in love.

[​IMG]

As for the official word, guess we'll have to wait for the commentary. If they tell us then.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually didn't notice that. I knew that people were comparing the final scene with how the original series ended with Aang and Katara kissing, but that's kind of interesting. I imagine that they'll make some kind of commentary about that final scene for the DVD release.

10. Neo Ultra Mike

Yeah but the DVD is still going to be under Nick and it's still going to have to be put under their standards, so it's not like they can really say that much more about it. Kind of like how the Invader Zim DVDs couldn't even say that Nickelodeon cancelled the show and the crew wanted to stop "because they felt they were done" even though it's obvious they weren't. I'm pretty sure with Korra they can't talk about how Nick screwed them over and forced them to make a clip show with "Rembarances" nor will they be able to talk about the ending being an implication of Korra and Asami being romantic. Honestly I'd wait until they were at a con like a year down the line and had no ties with Nick anymore and then they could probably give you a straight answer. The commentary's going to have half truths on it if talks about it at all. Like say "there are several different ways to interrept this but we'll leave that up to you at home" or something like that.

11. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I never even noticed that. Good catch. However, the scene could still be left to ones own interpretation. After all, there are straight women out there who act that way with their close best friends and not have any romantic feelings or sexual attraction towards each other. Heck, for all we know the writers might be trying tosay that neither woman needs to be in a relationship with a man to make them happy or to make their lives complete. Especially a man who they both dated and who did them both wrong. Another (and more out there) possible theory (which could make for an interesting story) is that Asami could be the reincarnation of a pass Avatar's lover (kind of like 2 characters from the 80's DC comic CAMELOT 3000 in which one of the Knights of the Roundtable was reincarnated as a woman and was reunited with and started dating his reincarnated wife/girlfriend).

12. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Wait no longer, both Bryan and Mike have spoken out on their Tumblrs about and said that Korrasami is canon. Mike's words on the matter. Bryan's words on the matter.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked getting their perspective on the matter. While the fact that they didn't have much of anything planned out ahead of time really explains a lot, I do like some of their decisions. Breaking up Mako and Korra with the intentions of never putting them back together was good. Even before season two, I grew to dislike their relationship due to how much attention it was getting, but season made me hate it so much. I think that their decision to not focus as much on relationships for the last two seasons was for the best. That was easily one of the weakest elements in the entire series, so not focusing on it as much was a good choice. Varrick and Zhu Li ending up together felt like one of their better choices as far as relationships go since it didn't seem sudden and it actually made sense.

As for Korra and Asami, I think that making their pairing canon also makes sense. Their friendship grew more over the last couple of seasons and Korra did seem to feel more comfortable around Asami, such as when she wrote to her during those three years. There was enough chemistry and friendship between them where the idea of the two of them developing romantic feelings for each other kind of works.

14. Neo Ultra Mike

I'm glad to hear the official word on it. And honestly I do believe the relationship could of been done better but obviously there were a lot of deterrents from it. Having an episode cut (though even that episode had Korra/Asami bits in it) the crew's lack of experience properly conveying a romantic relationship (even Bryan admits to that) and the fact that there were obvious censorship issues. I mean really a big issue with Nickelodeon... one of the many anyway is it's ability to be truly progressive. Though yeah with any kid network nowadays we have to take baby steps on the issues of LBGT couplings actually being shown in a series, much less openly. Still I appreciate them talking about wanting to make it official and stamp out any ambiguity. Especially Bryan since he makes better points on not only how certain things were planned out but also how no one would ever be pleased with a couple (I'm pretty sure there are still Zutarians out there to this day) and that they make the show for themselves first and foremost, thus wouldn't do such a relationship unless it's what they wanted to see. I'm kind of surprised they were being so forward with this now as honestly I was expecting them to have to stay quiet on the issue more on wait to reveal it but glad it's now out for people to talk about.

Also this makes me think: has there ever been a movie/show/even mainstream book that's involved a love triangle, and it ended with the two members of the same gender who were originally rivals for the other person's affection getting together? Can't name one of the top of my head.

15. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Very relieved to hear this. Not enough people in Hollywood understand how to write.

16. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

Now that TLOK is complete, I think Nicktoons (the channel) should consider airing re-runs of both A:TLA and this show (both with Avatar Extras) to celebrate the Big 1-0 of the first Avatar show.

17. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

When I watched the finale, I was like "Is that..? No, it can't be.", and now that we got official word on Korrasami being canon, I'm kinda surprised but at the same time not. Gotta say, pretty nice way to wrap up the series.

18. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Well that settles that. Great ending to a great show.

The only question I have is are they both bisexual or are they both straight up lesbians?

#778 spyke, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
  19. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not that it matters either way, but since they both dated and shown interest in other men (Mako, maybe Bolin for Korra) they seem to be bi.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I took it to mean that they're bisexual too. I think that the creators did as well since I believe that came up during their write-ups about the finale.