1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Kim Possible Movie (Series Finale) "So The Drama" Talkback (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by tucsoncoyote, Apr 8, 2005.

?

Would you the viewer like the Story to continue after So the Drama?

1. Yes Definitely! I want to know what happens Next!

58 vote(s)
    63.7%
  2. No, It's over. Too bad we won't see them graduate High School!

15 vote(s)
    16.5%
  3. Does it really Matter? Either way is fine with me!

18 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. No Opinion.. Frankly It's just a cartoon to me.

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AG_Markov

AG_Markov Animate Me, Baby!

I have never considered myself to be a KP fan. I find the series to be more or less redundant and I was never into the high-school girl scene. It cracked me up when I read the back of the movie DVD cover. "KP has to save the world. . .again!" and I was like . . well at least they acknowledge their redundancy. However I will never admit that its a bad show. Why? Because Iv always admired the characters, Ron and Kim especially. They are well developed, full of heart, humor and they are real.
    When a friend told me that the movie focused more on the two of them as characters and not so much on saving the world, I was interested and rented it for the heck of it. I was blown away. Talk about going out with a bang. So Iv deducted that I don't have to be a fan of the series to be a fan of the movie/ K+R supporter. Which I am now. . very much. Kim & Ron forever.

PS. If any of you Kim/Ron fans have any FanFic recomendations, Id love them thrown my way!

PSS. I RP via AIM. If anybodys interested, send me an IM. ShiftingEarth :cool:

2. Sailor V

Sailor V Defender Of Justice

Yeah the ending was great!!!!!!!!!!:anime: Cute too!!

3. Kagetsu

Kagetsu Hooligan

Now, I admit it. I'm a big KP fan. I waited months to finally see "Stitch in Time" and was a little disappointed. But "So The Drama" was top rate KP. Shego in an evening dress? [​IMG] And the evening dress fight with KP was sO cool. Shego and Drakken are the best villians and are a scream when they're together. Throw in Big Daddy and it's a laugh riot. The special feature with Youri (sp?) was cool, but I know nothing about Monkey Fist's origins so the end was a little wierd.

4. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

You have to Watch 4 episodes of KP to understand Gorilla Fist.

Well Kagetsu, Actually you find a bit about how Monkey Fist got created by watching 3 episodes really.. (One of them is of Course Monkey Fist Strikes, from season 1 (it explains the why he had his hands and feet genetically altered..) then of course from Season 2.. you have to watch Partners (this explains really Who did it.. (Yep DNAmy..) and finally you have to watch the third part (Gorilla Fist) to understand that DNAmy and Monkeyfist are really sort of Intertwined here now (and when you put those 3 parts together it makes the perfect arc of sorts.. Take one from Column A, One from Column B add in the final Part on the So the Drama DVD and it makes perfect sense (of course you also might want to Watch Exchange as the Chacters Sensai and Yori are included in this and without that particular episode, you wouldn't understand the reason of how "Gorilla Fist" Set up "So the Drama.."

Edited note: As a Side Note: On June 27th, Disney Channel has decided to once again play So the Drama (the edited Version..) but at least for those who may have missed it? Here's your chance to watch it again.. and pass final judgement as it were..

:coyote:

5. kimpossible1fan

kimpossible1fan I am Jack's smirking revenge

Of course also you probably wouldn't get the whole Ron/Yori angle unless you watched "Exchange", it explains a lot, and what happened when Ron went to Japan.

6. Kagetsu

Kagetsu Hooligan

Exchange I saw, but it's been a while. It's kinda hit and miss because we don't have Disney Channel. I've seen pics of Ron and Tara in the woods, and they look "close". I've been hoping to see that one but haven't yet. Probably in an earlier season and ABCKids (I think that's it) probably won't show it. It took me a while to get used to hearing Mira Nova's voice coming out of Shego. :sweat: Nicole Sulivan does sarcasm amazingly well. :D

7. tucsoncoyote

So the Drama on July 8th.. WIth a New Rating... will it hurt much?

Actually I've found out that Come Juyly 8th (this next Friday ) So the Drama will air yet again (After a 3 month Delay) and in fact the Air Time is 9 pm E/P 8 Central.

Now what makes this go Around interesting is that Disney This time has not given it a rating of TV G llike the last time, but rather TV PG (which now makes me wonder about this show).

Could Some Parents and Parent Groups have complained to Disney that the Movie rating of TV G may have been Too Low and that the movie itself may have even been Deemed more risque then say Justice League's episode Wildcards? Or was it maybe a few choice reviews when the Movie Came out on May 10th on DVD may have forced Disney to do a bit of Re-thinking as to what this Movie's Rating should be..

Your thoughtss on this? And do you think folks will be put off by the Higher Rating of TV PG?

8. kimpossible1fan

kimpossible1fan I am Jack's smirking revenge

Hmm...

Well, I really think that they went a bit over the edge with So The Drama. I think TV-PG fits. In the U.S. Kim Possible gets a TV-G rating while here in Canada it gets a C8 rating (You should be at least eight to watch). When I went to Costco a while ago searching for the Sitch In Time DVD (I have VHS, I saw So The Drama and Some of The other Kp videos had "PG" stickers on them, while at Wal-Mart and every other store had "G" stickers on them. It's a confusing 'sitch' here.

9. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Tuscon, you read WAY too much into EVERYTHING. Please.

10. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

I don't know it was a little bit more risque than I was comfortable with (in a show like Kim) but still TV PG seems like it might be a little tough to. Of course I never understood the T.V ratings system. TV G is higher than TV Y7. Therefor Hamtaro had a higher rating than Kenshin during its run on CN. Doesn't make sense.

11. Kagetsu

Kagetsu Hooligan

PG? Why? It's Kim Possible. No real violence, no profanity that I noticed. *confused* I know censor and parent groups are insane and every corporation is running from the litigation boogieman, but come On *sheer disbelief*

12. disneyfan89

disneyfan89 Member

There was no profanity. I think the violence and the little bit of blood that was shown warrants the "PG" rating.

13. tucsoncoyote

Reading Too much in? Or Not enough?

ActuallY Darthgonzo, I think in this case, you've been kind of outvoted. andi in fact I have to say that I.R. Joey, kimpossible1fan, and even disneyfan89, point out the viable flaws here as to why all of sudden Disney has given this time around the issue of the TV-PG rating.. I think I.R. Joey makes a valid Point. a Lot of People felt uncomforable with it. (After all I have to cit there one other TV Show that got a Low Rating. Namely Justice League's Episode WildCards. That Show was Given a TV-Y7 rating and in fact if your ever have read the thread of that, Some people think that the Kissing Scene between Green Lantern and Hawkgirl (Shayera Hall.). Warranted a Higher Rating.

Also then there is the Issue of bllod, and believe me even though it's momentary in this movie, a Lot of people I talked too said to me that this really was a tad bit extreme (even a 2 second scene.

but Like Kagetsu has pointed out there really was no Profanity and not even as much as a Swear word here. so I feel that at most the TV G ratings should Hold. (But if you really look the Actual Parental TV ratings for the United States, and compare them with The Canadian Parental TV Ratings, you can see that there is a major Flaw here on both countes.

First off as I.R Joey Points out, Hamtarro, got a Higher Rating then say Kenshin did (and in fact if you look at this way of reasoning. since TV G is higher then TV-Y7), Then I.R. Joey's reasoning does make a whole Lot of Sense.. After all I've Checked Ratings over at Toon Disney and they Give Buzz Lighyear of Star Command, a TV-Y7 Rating and in fact there is even some "Implied Profanity (it's not real profanity as we know it, but the Word "Craters" is the Implied Word they then at most Buzz Lightyear should be gettting a Rating of TV -G not TV-Y7)

As for this issue with So the Drama this time goin down, I think a few times if you check the Listing they actually don't even Rate it..(After all this show is indeed aimed for a Demographic's Group of 9-14 year olds, yet when you look at cynopsis.com and you look at Howmany 2-6 year olds watched it as well as 6-11 year olds, the numbers are quite different.

Also I would like to cite yet another piece of Proof and this comes from a Review on www.amazon.com, sure there are 35 reviews but if you scroll down about 10 to 20 in the list, one Reviewer actually makes logical sense here.. and it's Probably for the Implied Kiss, as well as for the scenes of Synthodrone dead, and maybe the little bit of Blood near the end.

so in the end, I have to say that we got a couple of things to look at..

1. The TV Rating system is indeed Flawed..(after all I think TV-Y7 should be a bit higher then Just TV -G) and second, because of the Complaines that Disney may have gotten from the Parents Groups I think that Maybe TV-PG might have been the logical Coice here..

In fact it's this Comment that states way of thinking.. and it's Kimpossible1ans's comment

I Think this is perhaps the most important piece of Evidence here.. after all Disney has from time to time made PG movies (Lilo and Stitch at the Theaters was given a PG rating.. So was Atlantis: The Lost Empire), and in fact Considering this show was originally designed for Teens, Disney is in fact trying this as an experiment to see what fan group or fanbase was in fact it more aimed for.. They Tried it with the TV-G Rating and it seems some parents were Outraged or decided to call Disney's bluff I feel in this case though the TV-PG rating might be in order (though I think if anything the TV Rating system has to be revamped..

oh and One Final thing Darthgonzo.. Better to Read Way Too much into this rather then Not enough, after all We all Know that South Park isn't a G-Rated show, bur rather PG rated one, if not TV PG-14 (DV) right? I think Disney just teneded in this case to Push the issue not far enough, and in the end, this higher rating might e the real answer. it's PG not G.. even though it's a Very "Low" PG in My book.

14. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

South Park is TV-MA.

15. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I prefer a TV-PG rating and make sure it will be uncut over a TV-G rating and taking the risk it might end up edited.

16. I.R Joey

I still don't think I can give it a TV PG yet. A little bit more intense than usual, but still a bit questionable.

And I don't think that So the Drama was more intense that Justice Leauge's Wild Cards (as far as pseudo-sexual content).

17. tucsoncoyote

Disney Being Overly Cautious IMHO

Well Jave for once you make sense.. (Dies of a Heart attack) but seriously.. all joking aside the best that Disney Could give this is in fact a TV PG Rating yet if you look at the Rating on the actual synopsis on the Show on www.disneychannel.com, they rate So the Drama as "NR" for No Rating. but now with the new MPAA TV ratings in Place it's highly cautious of what Disney is doing.. Giving a Higher rating... but this then comes to this next Question.

Well, I.R., that depends. I mean have you seen some of the reviews over at Amazon.com? I think One reviewer stated that the movie should be G at best should have been PG at Worst, and in fact this issue isn't about the Kissing either, I think it's about the violence of the Fight Scenes that are in the movie (including the final Battles in the last 15 minutes between Shego and Kim).

but I still Feel here that the Entire MPAA TV rating is flawed. and this show Proves it. and that they should have a New Rating.. TV-G11. (Think of it as like PG-13 in the Movie Ratings system).. After all this would be a good medium between these two "Grey Areas"..(of G and PG). But Jave here makes a Valid Point.. but then I do have to ask another question here..

Why is it it took almost 90 Days for this Movie to re-appear on Disney Channel? and Why G the first time and PG the second?

I think in some ways Disney might be looking at Kim Possible in a new light and might make this a series that they might put on ABC Family. but then who knows?

I highly doubt this will be for the revitalization of the DVD Sales as Sales are slowing down as by now most everyone has their copy or Copies of the Movie either in DVD or VHS Format.

So then the Real question would be.. Why run it now? Som 90 Days After the fact? what is Disney's Madness here if someone would be nice enough to explain it to me.

After all this could be a test to see if fans are still interested or if this is just Disney's Final Slap on the fans after all I've noted in Cynopsis.com that Viewership is off 3% in the last quarter (for Ages 6-11) on Disney Channel, and I highly doubt that's it's because of the older shows, but rather the newer ones (Such as The Buzz about Maggie). After all People want Great shows, Not Garbage.

((Also in the 9-14 year old Group) Viwewership is off by 23% on Disney Channel and again I have to cite that as well.) then there is of course the Upturn at Toon Disney as to the 15% increase.. and I know for a fact that in the last six months only 3 New shows have been Added to Toon Disney lineup. The Proud Family , Dave the Barbarian, and of course Kim Possible. so then the question is, how much of the viewers of each of these shows Drawn in? I figure The Proud Family and Dave are pulling in 2.5-3 % each and Kim Possible is bringing in the Rest..

so in short.. like I figured from 3 Years ago. maybe this is the mistake Disney is making, or is going gto make. They are going to Dismiss Kim Possible as a "Kid's Show" and Lose it's true Potential here. and in the end they lose viewers from Disney Channel and Gain viewers for Toon Disney, but in 5 years of Re-runs, they will lose those fans as well. and for what purpose? Again could someone explain that?

But in terms of this PG/G issue I think Disney is just being way overcautious here and they need to realize they might have "Rushed it " to completion at the expense of the Viewers, and in the end it will cost them more then just 3% of 6-11 year old kids, and 23% of the Tweens and Teens. In the end they will lose the true respect of any Disney Animation Fan, as Fans Jump ship and Head off to more vital and enlightening shows over at Cartoon Network (after all in that same Last Quarter, Cartoon Network gained 6% of the market for that 6-11 year old group, and 15% of the Teens and Tweens. so in the End, Disney needs to rethink it's policies and procedures and Reconsider. If they are willing to take a risk with a More Expensive Live Action show, (That's So Raven) and Extend it to 100 Episodes, why not do the same with what I call a "Cheaper" animated series such as Kim Possible? (After all It's been 15 years since Ducktales. which got 105 episodes I might add. Nuff said. )

18. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

All my posts make sense, because I'm precise and to the point. ;)

19. I.R Joey

Well Tuscon I won't turn this into a 65 episode debate but maybe Disney just thought they'd be better served pushing Raven past the episode limit, than any of their other shows (and maybe their right who knows).

All I have to say is that a person can make a stronger argument for Justice Leauge (season 2 particularly) and JLU being TV PG than the Kim movie. Drakken's plan was more menacing than usual, but nowhere near the level of unleashing a chemical weapon (JL WildCards), or threatning to use (and then using) a rail gun on a ship full of people. Yes So the Drama was more intense but the blood that was shown was no more severe than the scrapes and cuts that we saw in Samurai Jack, and in the edited versions of many anime that have made it to TV. Plus it was only for a split second, and than the cut was gone.

20. Freedom Fighter

Freedom Fighter Active Member

Debate-wise, yes, some of the stuff in the movie is more intense than what we're used to seeing in the series! Therefore, I think the rating change to TV-PG is either fixing it because parents complained (which some people have mentioned) or that with all the talk of Congress wanting the FCC to monitor cable networks even more (and the pre-emptive larger rating boxes at the start of all programs plus rating boxes upon every return from a commercial) that Disney is erring on the side of caution. I'm leaning towards the second one, because all though there is stuff that suggests a PG rating is warranted, there wasn't enough in my opinion to say the movie should flat out be rated PG.

It has rerun a few times outside that premiere weekend. Though I don't know (or remember) the actual dates, the movie has aired at least twice outside that initial weekend... at least once last month (June). It should be in DC's movie rotation... and considering the number of original movies they now have, I think they're at that point where most movies get one airing per month, with the exception of the older and non-popular ones, which get less than that.