"The Island" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Penguin, Jul 23, 2005.

?

Rate This Movie and Post Your Comments

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. ****

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I'd rather be sent to the Island.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. The Penguin

The Penguin Regiver

You have Been Chosen
    [​IMG]
    "You're not real. You're copies of people out here in the world." - McCord
    Release Date: July 22, 2005
    Studio: DreamWorks Pictures
    Director: Michael Bay
    Starring: Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson, Djimon Hounsou, Michael Clarke Duncan, Steve Buscemi, Sean Bean, Shawnee Smith, Noa Tishby

Plot Summary: Lincoln Six-Echo (McGregor) is a resident of a seemingly utopian but contained facility in the mid-21st century. Like all of the inhabitants of this carefully controlled environment, Lincoln hopes to be chosen to go to the "The Island"—reportedly the last uncontaminated spot on the planet—until he makes a terrible discovery that everything about his existence is a lie…and that he is actually more valuable dead than alive. Together with a beautiful fellow resident named Jordan Two-Delta (Johansson), Lincoln makes a daring escape to the outside world he’s never known. Now, with the forces of the institute that once housed them relentlessly hunting them down, Lincoln and Jordan engage in a desperate race for their lives.

Visit the official movie site here.

Comments?

Get your popcorn. Michael Bay's movie of the summer has arrived.

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Is it wrong for the idea behind this fluff to appeal to me? Seems to me like the plot combines Truman Show, Logan's Run and Matrix and steals the best elements of each. Why WOULDN'T this work?

They sure made the promo advertising confusing, though. As far off as three months ago I was seeing banner ads on the Internet. Then after seeing all the TV ads AND the trailer before Batman Begins, I STILL had no idea what was going on. It was only after reading the newspaper review that it was all explained. Until then, I knew that a giant neon "R" falls from a skyscraper in this film, but little else.

3. Spongebrain2.0

Spongebrain2.0 New Member

This movie had a $120 million budget, NOT counting promotional budget......On Friday....it took in $4.3 million......This film is probably going to go down as one of the biggest bombs of all time

4. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

I didn't want to start a new thread, so, loo:

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Boy you really like your hyperbole.

Now I have no interest in this film, but I'm surprised they're actually getting sued.

6. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

I think the movie looks decent, but you're right - I doubt it will make that much money back. The fact that, in its opening weekend, it's only managed to get FIVE showings a day at my local theatre, is something. (Most other big releases on their opening weekend this year seem to get about 15.)

-Tim

7. guinaevere

guinaevere agent provocateur

Thanks for the info, SJam!

Seeing the ads, I immediately thought it was a remake of Parts/Clonus.

8. Mike Spartz

Mike Spartz Underrated Performer

I saw this movie yesterday and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

WHAT WORKED
    • Casting. Scarlett Johansson and Ewan Mcgregor share a cute big brother/little sister relationship on-screen which is a nice refreshment over the usual male/female pairings in todays action movies. However I could've done without the sex scene because it was pointless commercial fluff. Of the supporting cast, Sean Bean is wonderfully sinister as Dr. Merrick and Djimon Hounsou plays his part well as the morally conflicted Luarent.
    • Music and Imagery. A trademark of Michael Bay films is his use of color and sound. "The Island" is no expection. From the moment the first frame is shown, we are treated to blue skies and a woman in white. Soft, soothing music plays in the background as we feel our minds slowly dissolving into the sea. As we move closer to the woman, we see that she is standing on a boat. A trace of gold lies upon her slender shoulders. The gold, we quickly realize, is her hair and soon she is beckoning to us with her arm outstreched and her eyes hungry. So begins the Island. Bay's immpressive use of color continues to show thoughout the film. The end scene in particular is reminesant of the end shot of the clone troopers in Star Wars Episode II.
    • The general story. I liked the idea that the US government created a underground lab of clones for the sole purpose of using them as replacement vehicles for their clients. This could very well become a real possibility in the next ten-twenty years. Also, it was fun during the first half of the movie to see Lincon figure out that something was wrong and then to escape with Jordon in tow.
    WHAT DIDN'T WORK

• The weak ending. Predictably, Bay made Laurent a hero in the end and as such, all the clones were freed from their underground prison. I wouldn't have minded it as much if Laurent didn't show his branded hand - proving that he was once controlled as well. That just seemed cheesy and lame.
    • The plotholes. Ok, I know this is a action movie and I know I'm not suppose to take it seriously but did it make sense that Lincon was the first one of the see "the light" when there was another clone who'd been alive for seven years? Shouldn't old timer have gained his clients memories much sooner than Six-Echo?
    OVERALL ASSESSMENT : The Island is a fun action thrill-ride and a suitable summer flick. However, nothing in movie is stuff that we haven't seen before. Also, kids under the age of 13 shouldn't see this movie because it's got coarse language and some nudity. 4/5 stars.