1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Two more are up. It was becoming apparent I had to do the other Ted E. Bear special NOW or get told about it for an entire year. There's also Sonic the Hedgehog's turn at the bat. Because of the delay you're getting an extra week of specials and I'll do Hogfather next week.

Eventually, if it's still on YouTube when I decide to review it.

No, I've never heard of that. Is Heston the only notable thing about it?

2. captcomic83

captcomic83 Member

That Sonic The Hedgehog special is notable as it is the very first Christmas special featured on the Island of Misfit Christmas Specials that made its debut on cable television, as it aired on USA Network in 1996!

Will there be more such specials in the future?

Jeremy Aron Patterson.

3. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

Well, it's one of the few Christmas specials to actually acknowledge the birth of Christ. But it was also a very weird special. Most of it was set in the late 30s and was about a talking red ornament named Noel that "has a happiness". I don't even know who made it, right when the credits start, it cuts to the Tiny Toons special.

4. All Star Blitz

All Star Blitz What the heck am I doing?

Would the Rudolph animated one with Queen Stormella (voiced by Whoopi!) count? I know it got shown in theaters for about a day and was yanked and slapped onto VHS. I actually think it's a pretty solid effort considering it's "just another Rudolph story". They add new characters like a cute arctic fox voiced by Eric Idle (doing a New York accent that my sister thought sounded a lot like Meowth) and a couple more extra deer. The animation is pretty well done too, but there seems to be VERY little about this one anywhere.

By the way, Martian, I have A Wish for Wings That Work on tape. Could I perhaps send a copy your way?

5. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

So, is The Bear who Slept Through Christmas better animated than Bear Scare? Because the latter was seriously the most appallingly animated thing I've ever seen.

6. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty much. The animation was similar to those Dr. Seuss specials from the seventies (Same studio: DePatie-Freleng)

7. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Someone came through with Ted E's Thanksgiving, and since the production values were actually WORSE than Bear Scare's, I just had to write about it. For all those who might be kind of sore I didn't get to their favorite misfit, I didn't expect to spend 75% of this year's Misfit Christmas Time talking about Ted E. Bear, it's just what happened. He just kept reappearing.

As for Hogfather....what no one told me was that it's two hours long. Electrical repairs will be done in the house tomorrow, and all the power will be off, so I can't make a Monday deadline and even if I could I doubt I'd be able to finish it. Ah well, plenty for next year.

And for all those who want to watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30D23RJh1rE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByycqUYOMAU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ot4kHqBWPE

8. captcomic83

captcomic83 Member

Well, we might have to change the name of the series to "The Island of Misfit Holiday Specials'!

Jeremy Aron Paqtterson.

9. Patchwork

Patchwork There is a spider in your bed!

While we're all here handing out You-Tube links, I found The Story of Santa Claus in full. I know it's been ages since the entry was written up for the Island, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

(I forgot how annoying these songs are...)

10. Mini Garbonzo

Mini Garbonzo Do you like my eyes?!?!

Mr. Martian Invader sir, I have been meaning to ask this question for most of December, It's been stumbling around my head for a while, but I was wondering, what's your stance on the year 2000 Christmas special, Grandma got Run Over by a Reindeer?

Me personally, I despise it with almost every bone in my body, but I always wanted to hear what you think.

11. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The CW aired that this year and I snagged it. They also aired the special mentioned below on the same night:

Oh, I'm with you, and this is one of those things I really wanted to get to, but couldn't thanks to Ted E. having all these unexpected sequels I now had to cover.

12. Mini Garbonzo

Mini Garbonzo Do you like my eyes?!?!

Guess we'll have to wait until next year for that, oh well, do you have any other plans for next years "Misfit's"?

13. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I should make a list of all the ones in backlog:

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
    The Story of Santa Claus (revised)
    Ziggy's Gift
    Family Circus Christmas
    For Better or for Worse Christmas (I want to do these three next to each other)
    Holidaze: The Christmas That Almost Didn't Happen
    Santa Claus and the Three Bears
    The Tiny Tree

Any one of those could appear next year, as well as some others I may have forgotten, and some I'll find out about between then and now.

14. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

I know it won't be Christmas for another 10 months, but i was looking through old tapes when i ran across "Jim Henson's The Christmas Toy." I fastforwarded it to see if my parents saved the commercials, but to my horror discovered that even though it aired on ABC, there weren't any! In their place were recipes using Kraft products. Oh goody. I don't want to learn how to put apples and mayonnaise and dip them into bagel halves, I want freakin' advertisments from something other than Kraft. Well, anyway, if you want this one, Martian, I'll burn it on DVD for ya.

15. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Go right ahead. I won't stop until I cover them all.

16. TServo2049

TServo2049 THE WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE

I've seen The Great Bear Scare, mainly so I could put it up on IMDB. My jaw hit the floor when I saw the "animator" credits. I always like to point out that Virgil Ross, of all people, "animated" on it. What a waste of talent.

17. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

...You're kidding me, that movie had honest-to-goodness animators? They must have been pretty lazy to have done that bad of a job. :sweat:

18. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

It was probably more of a case of the execs going 'Here's 50-bucks, you have a week.'

19. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

Ross worked at Filmation, too, so it's not the first time his talent's been wasted.

(believe it or not, there's one guy who can spot Ross's animation in Fat Albert)

20. Funky Al

Funky Al I ate the WHOLE PLATE!