1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

I have another suggestion for a future Misfit special: the "Holiday Hi-Jynx" episode of "Pokémon". It's a twofold misfit, actually - first, it was delayed for ten months after the "Electric Soldier Porygon" incident in December 1997, meaning that it aired in Japan in the middle of October 1998 (and way out of whack in the series' chronology). Plus, it's also a Jynx episode, and it's from the era where she still had her black face, meaning it's pretty much verboten from airing ever again in today's post-Carole B. Weatherford environment.

I'd really like to see you do a review of it. It's one of the most surreal "Pokémon" episodes ever made. (If you don't have it on video or DVD, it's right here.)

2. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

The "Hogswash" [sic] special is actually called Hogfather- ION (the ex-PAX) has aired it in the States for the past two years. It's based on a book by the prolific British comedy/fantasy writer Terry Pratchett.

3. captcomic83

captcomic83 Member

I did not catch 'The Great Bear Scare' or "A Snow White Christmas" as I was too young to remember it, but I did catch Christmas In Pac-Land on Cartoon Network a few years ago!

Jeremy.

4. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I have a copy of this on VHS somewhere.

5. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

6. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

I watch that special every year on Cartoon Network. It's actually pretty fun.

EDIT: On The Great Bear Scare...that is the worst animation I've ever seen. :sweat: Watched a clip on a certain site.

7. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

Man, that Bear Scare thing...too bad there weren't any clips up for it. I'd like to see how godawful the animation is...

I'm assuming this is it for Misfits '08?...

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

No, I'll try to get a few more in. I may actually end up doing it an extra week past Christmas, due to the delay.

9. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

You can see a clip of it on...a certain site that You can...tube.

10. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Or, more specifically, here

Wow. The animation looks like a cross between Clutch Cargo and those slo-mo sports replays. That's pretty damned abysmal.

11. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Hey, Martianivader, The Hogfather (sorry about that mobo85, I missed the first few minutes and I meant to type "Hogswatch" but I did mention it was based on a Discworld book) is airing on the Hallmark Movie channel the 23rd and 24th (it's actually both parts) so if you know someone with digital cable or an extend channel package on a satellite system you can see if they will record it and send it to you.

12. All Star Blitz

All Star Blitz What the heck am I doing?

Argh. People who film a TV screen with a camera are insanely cheap.

Clutch who?

13. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Remember that parody cartoon that was part of the extras on The Incredibles DVD, well see for yourself: a Clutch Cargo Cartoon.

14. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

It may be too late to include, but have you ever heard of a special called "santa vs the snowman"? :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0pnedKEZO4
    (it says its a feature film, but i seem to remember seeing ads for it as a tv special)

15. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It was both: a special turned into a 3-D IMAX film later. I have the battle scene on tape from when it aired and I love it. It's one of my favorite scenes from any Christmas special, ever.

16. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

Santa vs. the Snowman was written by the prolific and funny-named Steve Oedekirk, who wrote a number of high-grossing films, and also did a bunch of side projects including Barnyard (giving birth to everyone's favorite male cow with female body parts), Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, and a number of thumb-based movie spoofs.

17. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

And didn't his brother Bill write for "Futurama"? Or am I thinking of someone else?

18. Lonestarr

Lonestarr Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Staff Member Moderator

You're thinking of Odenkirk, whose brother Bob co-created "Mr. Show".

19. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

And also, are we going to see "a wish for wings that work" featured? After all, considering all the bloom county material on this site (enough to publish a full book actually),,

20. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

While we're on the subject of potential entries, any chance you ever heard of a Christmas special called Noel? Apparently, I'm one of the few people that know that it even exists. I have it on an old VHS tape my mom in the early 90s along with Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas, the Tiny Toons Christmas episode, Rudolph, Frosty, & a few minutes of The Wish That Saved Christmas. It should be worth mentioning that it was narrated by Charlton Heston, yes the Charlton Heston.