1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

So I guess it's not quite "more than half", like I thought, but it does require the deletion of several key scenes in the special.

2. Lonestarr

Lonestarr Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Staff Member Moderator

Might be a tad late at this point, but will there be any new reviews for this year?

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm working on one right now.

4. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Is this a case of Disney/whomever not being able to release the uncut special at any price or is this a case of "not paying royalties = cut release"?

5. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

The second one.

6. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

7. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

Are you doing Yogi's First Christmas this year? I would love to see a write-up on that.

And speaking of Muppets, you may have another misfit debuting next week: "A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa" on NBC. Whether or not it airs again, of course, is the deciding factor...

EDIT: Forgot to add, please, PLEASE do "The Town that Santa Forgot". A great one that used to air on Cartoon Network back in the 24-hour long Xmas marathon days...that is, if you can find it...

8. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I plan to nab that Muppet show for later. I'm just as surprised as any of you that it's airing on NBC. I thought Disney's wholesale purchase of the Muppetverse would mean "Muppet Wonderful Life Ripoff" was the last time they would appear on a network owned by someone else.

No Yogi this year, sorry.

9. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

Speaking of the Misfit TV Specials, this year at Toys R Us in addition the annual Rudolph and Charlie Brown Christmas collectible action figures,they have a series of figures based on Rankin/Bass' Frosty the Snowman. Except, for some reason, they are all based on characters from... Frosty's Winter Wonderland??? They have Frosty (of course), plus Crystal the Snowman, Jack Frost and the Parson Brown snowman. The question is WHY? :confused:

You would think figures of Karen, Hocus Pocus, Professor Hinkle or even that Traffic Cop who swallows his own whistle would be bigger sellers.

10. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Finally, new stuff!

http://www.platypuscomix.net/hollywood/misfit19.html
    http://www.platypuscomix.net/hollywood/misfit15.html

This was on a DVD Chris sent me last year, and I couldn't believe it when I saw it. The airing of "Christmas Comes to Pac-Land" was also on it, so I don't need any trace of the In2TV version on that page anymore. Vintage commercials have been added, and new screenshots will come when I have time to waste on them.

Most of my time went to Electric Wonderland this week, and after seeing so many posts in this topic BEFORE I put anything new up, I felt guilty once I realized how much you guys look forward to these.

I looked for the TV Guide ad for the Pac-Man special, but couldn't find it. I did, however, find this:

[​IMG]
    Well, I just have to find that one now.

11. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

Was Ziggy's Gift on that DVD I sent you?

12. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

Woo-hoo! New misfits!

I also sent Peter tapes of X-mas specials (which features an actual Ted E. Bear X-Mas special, produced by DePatie-Freleng and also starring Tom Smothers). This year's should be interesting.

13. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

The collage of facepalms in the Bear Scare whatchamacallit is just priceless. Peter, the next time a relevant situation comes around, may I borrow it?

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Yes, it was shown on the same night as Pac-Man and it's before it, but I'm saving it for a batch of comic strip-related misfit specials in the future.

One of those was a second Ted E. Bear special? Which one? They looked a lot older.

Go ahead, I borrowed it too.

15. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

In that case, I'm borrowing the facepalm collage too - absolute pricelessness.

You know, something tells me that even if it had aired at Halloween, "The Great Bear Scare" would still be awful. Interestingly enough, I think I might have had a Ted E. Bear doll as a kid - the hat and vest look familiar, and the name rings a bell too.

16. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

I was actually about to come in and mention this myself. "Bear Scare" is actually the 2nd Ted E. Bear special...the other one came out ten years earlier in '73, called "The Bear Slept Through Christmas." They used to show it on Fox Family during the early years of "25 Days of Christmas."

"Bear Scare" was shown on Toon Disney for a while during its early years(Of course THEY properly showed it during Halloween, which makes me suprised to hear it originally aired during December).

17. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

One misfit special I think you should do is a 30-year-old special that only aired once. It featured celebrities mixed with a familiar franchise, and the combination made them both look embarrasing.

That's right- it's A Special Sesame Street Christmas. What, you though I was going to say The Star Wars Holiday Special? Apparently, this thing is just as bad. You can find a VCR-recorded version on YouTube.

18. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

[​IMG]
    This makes Santa seem like a bigger pervert then he already seems; oh come on, he's a old fat hairy guy that has small children sit on his lap and reach into his sack. It's going to be... odd to say the least when 20 years from now the 'Child-lovers Rights' movement becomes annoyingly vocal and claims Santa as one of their symbols.

Martianinvader can you please review Hogswash next year? I saw it on Ion Television this past weekend (it originally aired in England back in 2006) but I don't see it re-airing on their schedule.
    Why should you review it: it's based off a Diskworld book, it's basically fantasy-equivalent-Christmas with Death and his Grand-daughter.

19. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Did you just imply it's a Christmas special starring the Grim Reaper? I think I HAVE to see that. But I have no way of seeing it currently...

20. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdk7eAZ4X2o