"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

you might have at one point, but blocked it out of your memory until now. Just sayin'.

2. Norman Krasner

Norman Krasner New Member

it was replaced by an MC Hammer cartoon after one season, don't know if that had an xmas special

#582 Norman Krasner, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  3. twilicorn

if it did then it's worth reviewing here, because Hammerman was definitely a misfit among things. To paraphrase an earlier review, at least The Great Bear Scare aired (in most markets) on the wrong holiday, and not the wrong planet!

4. AllenJ

AllenJ Member

"Christmas in Tattertown": Nickelodeon's first original piece of animation, from 1988. Produced by Ralph Bakshi and was apparently intended as a series pilot:

5. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Idol Time Countdown!

I was not around when they were popular, so that's why I never heard of it. But I have heard of Hammerman!
    I thought this was a Cartoon Network special! Also, I'm not surprised that this was Nick's first original animated program at the time. Everything on Nick back in the 80's was acquired (despite what most people think, You Can't Do That On Television is Canadian, for instance!), but some people thought Nickelodeon made them. It got to the point where on one website, Danger Mouse was said to be "an American cartoon that's extremely popular in Britian, to the point where teachers call kids with glasses Penfold". In reality, the show was made in Britian by Cosgrove Hall. But this would seem interesting for him to review!

6. Norman Krasner

Norman Krasner New Member

didn't they produce the game shows?

7. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think so. Plus, there was also Pinwheel.

8. twilicorn

Here's my list of potential misfits for this year's lineup, along with a little blurb or two:

-Christmas in Disneyland (This will be oddly appropriate considering Glen Campbell's recent passing.)
    -A Very Retail Christmas (you have a copy and should get around to it soon?)
    -Rapsittie Street Kids: Believe In Santa (contender for The Room of Christmas specials)
    -The Christmas Tree (another contender, as reviewed by the Nostalgia Critic)
    -Noël Noël (a Canadian special I remember very well. Not to be confused with Noel from about 10 years earlier)
    -The Secret World of Santa Claus (also from Canada, it's a miniseries that's been a Teletoon holiday tradition for about two decades' worth of time. Could this be the first-ever Misfit Christmas Series?)
    -It's Your 50th Christmas, Charlie Brown (was intended to air just once, but this is evidently not due to quality as from what I've seen so far it's really sweet, still regret missing this one on its first airing)
    -Christmas specials by 10th Ave Productions (I FINALLY found these ugly CG specials that YTV aired long long ago. No video but you may be able to ask the company for some copies. Here's some info on The Christmas Stocking Tale.)
    -The Moo Family Holiday Hoedown
    -Deck the Halls with Wacky Walls
    -Jingle Bell Rap (these three specials were mentioned by other users earlier on. The last one has the "advantage" of having the director of Up on the Housetop behind it)
    -I Love the Holidays (I have yet to send you a copy but since it tackles Halloween and Thanksgiving as well, it's just as well to put the review just before Halloween in lieu of a Sabrinas Through Time so all the bases are covered)
    -The Magic Garden Christmas Special (not as well known outside the NYC area but the show was highly beloved within the area. For me it's more notable for its manner of being uncovered, after being lost for decades, than its actual content)
    -Annabelle's Wish (best known for its home video release that benefited Make A Wish Foundation, you mentioned it aired on Fox beforehand so it fits)
    -The Christmas Computer Caper (more local fare, this one can easily be found on YouTube)
    -A Very Murray Christmas (Netflix's first, and so far only, Christmas special that's not based on a preexisting show. Not to be confused with How Murray Saved Christmas)
    -A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa
    -The Christmas Toy (two leftovers from "Kermit Month" a few years back)
    -The Great Santa Claus Switch (a Muppet/Henson special without Kermit)
    -A Special Sesame Street Christmas
    -Elmo's Christmas Countdown (two Sesame Street specials. The former is especially bizarre and aired the same year and network as the Star Wars special. Both specials were released on DVD)
    -Frosty the Snowman (saved this one for last for reasons you'll soon find out. We know you included it in a list of specials you will never consider for misfits, unless its something like the Rudolph recording with commercials. As you may be aware, someone got the Rhino OST of Frosty, which contained June Foray's original vocal tracks, and used it to dub her vocals back into the production. This was not very long before she died, so maybe as a tribute you could review it this year as a "compare-and-contrast" sort of thing where you compare Foray with the random kid who was brought in to do Karen?)

#588 twilicorn, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

One of those in your list will be the first this year. Have fun guessing which....

10. mimitchi33

I think I know, and I can't wait!

11. twilicorn

ooooh I'm betting it's either Retail Christmas, Rapsittie, Annabelle, or maaaaaaybe the original cut of Frosty. If the first Misfit comes up and it's one of those four, then I surely deserve a special prize.

12. mimitchi33

Remember the Albert special from last year that Nick aired? I was waiting for Inside Out on Freeform, and an ad came on saying that it's now on DVD. It took them that long?

13. ikey2

ikey2 Member

Annabelle wish would be a great one to do.

Ike's phone

14. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

I might have a Frosty from 1983 if Pete's interested...
    EDIT: It wasn't Frosty, it was Rudolph.

#594 Chris, Nov 18, 2017 at 11:19 PM
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017 at 1:40 AM
  15. twilicorn

Most holiday movies/specials that are released theatrically or premiere on TV are released on DVD the year after. Unless they're released directly to video (e.g. that Mariah Carey thing that was only announced earlier this year).

16. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Well-Known Member

Hopefully it is Retail Christmas. I think it only aired once, but I remember liking it. Another one that could be covered could be "The town that Santa forgot". "A Diva's Christmas Carol" would be an interesting review too. Ever thought of expanding this to add Christmas episodes of various shows (you could even cover more obscure shows that happened to have Christmas episodes)?

17. twilicorn

I've watched bits and pieces of the Diva Christmas Carol on Youtube.

18. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

What about:
    The 12 Days of Christmas (1993)
    An America's Top 10 Christmas (1981)
    Rudolph's Shiny New Year (1976)
    The Computer Kid Christmas (WCFC Chicago - 1983)

19. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

I go tape diving and find a Christmas special from 1984 called "Kenny and Dolly: A Christmas To Remember." Remember that? Me neither. I put on my Santa hat and do an imitation of Pete and review this bologna. http://www.atari2600land.com/xmasbooks/kd.html

20. twilicorn

I actually suggested Peter review that one earlier on in the thread. (It actually aired a few times during the early days of 25 Days of Christmas.)

Jeez, how many stations put on their own computer-themed no-budget local special in 1983?