1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

How about a "Family Circus" Christmas special for your island, eh?

It can be seen on YouTube in three parts

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

The timetable's filled now for this year, but I ripped Family Circus for next time, as well as the two For Better or For Worse Christmas specials you pointed out. I'm looking into Yogi's First Christmas, and that thing's a mammoth--I was not expecting it to be this long. I'll try to get a review of it up soon, though.

3. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

I have Christmas Comes to Pac-Land somewhere in my "archives." I burned it onto DVD, too. So, if you want better screens than what's shown on YouTube, I might be able to provide them.

4. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I'm interested in that, Chris, as well as any other Christmas specials you have. I know you also have Ziggy's Gift....

Two more are now up. Sorry about Yogi's First Christmas, but the problem is, it's not only 90 minutes but also on In2TV, and getting that site to work is a pain, especially for something so long.

5. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I have a ton of old Christmas specials on VHS. Trouble is I have no idea how to upload things. Sad, isn't it?

6. Chris

I bet there's a way to upload Xmas Comes to Pac-Land and Ziggy's Gift on to my computer from my DVD and then burn it onto a watchable DVD. I just don't know how yet. Any tips?

7. DarthGonzo

Someone was really going on memory with that Tiny Toons Christmas Special quotes huh? ;)

If you'd like exact quotes let me know.

8. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Heh, I remember watching "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" on its original airing. Interesting how, just five years later, it's already pretty dated. I maintain that "A Muppet Family Christmas" is the better special - not only did its plot not rip anything off, but it didn't feature a bazillion-and-one celebrity cameos, so it holds up better.

9. DarthGonzo

Muppet Family Christmas > Muppet Christmas Carol > Very Merry Muppet Whatever...

10. Chris

Hey, Pete, I finally found out how to make my brand new VHS-to-DVD recorder work. I put "Ziggy's Gift" and "Christmas Comes to Pac-Land" onto one track (because they apparently aired back-to-back). There's a few good old ads, one for Meier & Frank advertising mens' sweaters, and another one about the Learning Palace. Also, there's two ads for a new series called "Automan", with which I was able to date the tape to early December 1983. So "Pac-Land" must have aired 2 years in a row, since your island page says it first aired in 1982. All this will be coming to you, for no charge, in your mailbox sometime next month.

11. Chris

By the way, I clicked on A Walt Disney Christmas, and I hate to break it to you, but I have a copy of it too. Mine's from the Disney Channel, where it must have aired some Christmas in the mid 80's. I also put on "The Cabbage Patch Kid's First Christmas" on your DVD, and I can put on Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas, or Santa and the Three Bears, or, (if I can find it), I have a Pound Puppies special (don't know if it's x-mas themed or not, though.) And if you ever want to explore Rainbow Brite on your site, I have 90 minutes worth taped from either KPTV or KPDX.

12. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Except the Disney Channel version had some alterations to it.

What MartianInvader means is that no one else has the original airing recorded.

13. Dynamite XI

Dynamite XI Whoa, where have I been?

I've even seen an official VHS home video version put out from Disney, with pretty much all of the same cartoon shorts that Mars mentioned, but none of the extra stuff that was included in the original airing. Mars' version is unique, and for that reason it's included in the Island.

14. Chris

I also have a Walt Disney Halloween special from the Disney Channel. Did that have a network airing, too?

15. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

If it did, I know nothing about it. My dad only taped the Christmas one.

Yeah, send me all the Christmas specials you can find, 'cause I'll probably be writing about all of them. The exceptions are things like Rudolph and Frosty that aren't misfit.

16. J. B. Warner

How about the aforementioned "A Muppet Family Christmas"? It's kinda misfitty, considering that the rights to more than half the Christmas carols featured in it have expired - it can't be shown on TV, and the commercial video releases are all edited. If you're interested, I have an almost completely uncut version that my family taped off NBC's "The Magical World of Disney" in 1990 (the only uncut airing was its premiere in 1987).

17. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Muppet Family Christmas is too beloved to be misfit, but I'd like a copy of it anyway...

18. J. B. Warner

I'll see what I can do about copying mine onto DVD for you. I'm looking for someone to do it anyway, since we had a DVD transfer of it that crapped out this year, and we'd like to get it transfered again.

19. Chris

Huh? What kind of Christmas carols are we talking about here? I've never heard of a 'banned from TV' Xmas carol before.

20. DarthGonzo

"Sleigh Ride" - Fozzie and the snowman
    "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" - the Muppet Babies
    "Home For the Holidays" - Piggy and cast
    "I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day" - Statler and Waldorf*
    "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" - Kermit and Piggy*

*during the carol-go-round at the end