1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

so what special will have the dutiful honor of being the first misfit Christmas special of 2016? Here's some guesses

-A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa (a leftover from Kermit Month)
    -The Moo Family Holiday Hoedown
    -How Murray Saved Christmas
    -The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration (the newest of the bunch, aired just last month and I could provide a copy unless Peter already has one)
    -Rapsittie Street Kids (PLEASE)
    -A Very Retail Christmas (Peter mentioned having a copy and will probably pull it out when the time is right)
    -Deck the Halls with Wacky Walls
    -Seasonal Differences (an Afterschool Special that Peter scanned in an ad for long ago)
    -The third Robbie the Reindeer special (hey, it could happen, especially with the recent reairings of both Robbie specials that were already reviewed)
    -Santa Claus Brothers
    -A David Foster Christmas Card (probably not this year because I haven't sent him a copy)
    -The Magic Garden Christmas Special (not so much of a misfit as it is old, the show was a mainstay in NYC television in the 70's and 80's and the episode itself was thought to be lost until the original master was found - literally in a hidden vault - a few years ago)

Also, I'll leave this here

• Like Like x 1
    #541 twilicorn, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

Are you doing Mumfie this year? It was recently posted online.

I actually sent this one to him!

3. twilicorn

ABC recently had a special called Holiday Movie Skating Spectacular and I seemed to be the only one on earth who noticed it and figured it would make great site material in the future, so I recorded it. It was basically just two hours of people skating to songs from Christmas movies like Miracle on 34th Street and Home Alone and most of them were sung live by this lady who just so happened to have a nonfiction book series about filming locations in movies. Also there was another group singing called "The Four Phantoms" which sounds like a cool rock band name but was actually just four guys who had played the Phantom of the Opera (lol geddit cuz im goffik) on Broadway at various points in time. And one of the skaters was BRIAN BOITANO. So that explains a lot, actually...

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Norman Krasner

Norman Krasner New Member

Jingle Bell Rap

5. twilicorn

hey, that one's done by Jerry (G. Brian) Reynolds of "Up on the Housetop" infamy!

6. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

This reminds me of the movie Sing for some reason...

7. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Since Peter Pan Live! begins some time close to Christmas, complete with the Darling house decorated for the season, does it count as a Misfit Christmas Special? I personally like it more than I do The Sound of Music Live!, but will admit that it has some laughable moments, and has apparently become a punching bag for NBC.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd rather not count it, if I can help it.

First Misfit is almost done!

9. twilicorn

If it counted as a Misfit then all of the Harry Potter movies would have to count as Misfits!

YAAAAYYYYYY

10. twilicorn

I just randomly re-remembered Annabelle's Wish and was thinking, would you consider that a misfit? I know it was originally intended as a DTV movie but it has aired on Cartoon Network and a few other places.

11. VanceTheVHSGuy

I always look forward to the new Misfits. Glad to be a follower.

I remember Toon Disney showing it. I haven't seen that in a long time. While on the subject of DTV Christmas movies, and I think I mentioned this when I had my old account, but does anybody remember "The Tangerine Bear"? I remember Cartoon Network showing it, couldn't that be considered a misfit?

12. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Annabelle's Wish counts. It originally aired on Fox, I think.

It's surprising you never guessed this one, because I've talked about possibly doing it in the past.
    http://www.platypuscomix.net/darkvault/misfits/misfit57.html

13. twilicorn

I TOTALLY forgot about Bumpy. And it's totally funny that you'd point out that the source material is the only show to reference MTV's "Dead at 21" - my only evidence of the show is a single promo on my copy of the 1994 Video Music Awards.

14. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Congrats on entering your tenth year of reviewing Misfit Christmas Specials!

15. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

I actually have Twas The Night Before Bumpy on DVD. I got it at Oops Outlet a few years back before they closed. The DVD also had a Sonic special on it, as well as some I forgot about. It sounds interesting, though. Also, I have something else to say about your review:

16. twilicorn

Would that Sonic special happen to be Sonic Xmas Blast?

Also, thanks for pointing out something I failed to point out until you did.

A third thing: Was The Christmas Computer Caper already mentioned earlier? I'm watching it now and it's horribly dated and as misfitty as it gets. Also one of the kids looks like Martika.

17. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

Yes, the DVD I have is called DiC Christmas Blast. Except..I don't have it anymore. I gave it away to some church Christmas event a while ago.

18. columbiaharmeowny

columbiaharmeowny Major Piggy Power!

19. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

That looks like Sausage Party meets the Yummi Gummi Search for Santa.

20. twilicorn

with 5 days to Christmas, how are things coming? and how many misfits can we expect soon?