1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

What about Aliens' First Christmas, based on the failed Perennial pilot Aliens Next Door, where humans introduce Christmas to the culture shock of aliens?

2. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

ABC Family aired it last year along with the Fraggle Rock special, but other than that, I haven't seen it on that much...
    That looks interesting.

3. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

From my giant tape collection (though NOWHERE near as big as your dad's) I just digitized A David Foster Christmas Card, a TV special from 1989. It's very much like how you described The Bestest Present all those years ago, all Full House-y and mainly revolving around "hugs and adorable things children say". I have a copy if you feel like ripping into it one Christmas.

Also I found out while researching it that it was released on a Japanese laserdisc. (I don't have that, I went with the original CTV airing from 1989.)

4. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

I don't know if this has been suggested before or not, but please do NBC's How Murray Saved Christmas from 2014. It was written by Mike Reiss of The Simpsons fame, starred Jerry Stiller, and was narrated by Dennis "You're in Good Hands" Haysbert.

[​IMG]

My take on it; it's probably one of the most completely aimless and soulless Christmas specials to come out recently. It's done entirely in rhyme with some songs, which doesn't really help its case in deciding whether it's supposed to be a sincere and legitimate Christmas special or a parody of them. If it's supposed to be a parody, the humor is too weak. If it's supposed to be sincere, there's too many insincerities for it to be considered so. I personally found it one of the most forgettable Christmas specials to date. It's not another Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, not by a long shot, but still another one for the dump heap.

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't find this one as bad as you did, but it probably won't be covered for a while. I'd like to let it age a little before I tackle it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

I think that special's been one of the few projects to come out of Universal's 2D animation wing in recent years, outside of Curious George on PBS and yet another Land Before Time sequel. I'm really hoping that Universal's live-action guys decided to adapt UCS' greatest project, Exo-Squad- they own it outright, so they can extrapolate on it immensely- from movies, to Netflix to books and comics. Plus, it'd be AWESOME to see real people and CGI E-Frames.

7. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Any chance of doing "The Town that Santa forgot"?

8. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

Aside from the ones I've mentioned earlier, I have a few more suggestions:
    • It's Your 50th Christmas, Charlie Brown!: This is one of the best Christmas specials of all time, in my honest opinion. It tells the story of how the special was made spliced with musical performances from people like Penatonix and Boyz II Men.
    • The Teen Titans Go! episode More Of The Same: This is The Great Bear Scare of the 2010's. Why? This New Year's episode wound up being broadcast IN JULY, just because of the title of the episode giving no clues of the actual content. Like The Great Bear Scare, some Cartoon Network channels waited until New Year's to air it. I don't know if you count New Year's specials in your thing, but according to one Misfit, you like this show.
    • The Christmas Tree: Another terrible Christmas special the Nostalgia Critic did.
    • The Animaniacs Christmas episodes: I love them a lot, and would love to see your take on them.
    • The Balloonatiks: Christmas Without a Claus: Like Christopher The Christmas Tree and Mumfie's White Christmas, this also aired on Fox Kids.
    • The Boy Who Dreamed Christmas: Many people have been asking for this too.
    I'm also still betting on Rapsittie Kids and Mumfie's White Christmas.

This was mentioned here when it first aired.

I actually think I've seen this once! Where did it air?

9. twilicorn

I actually regret missing It's Your 50th Christmas when it first aired. Also regret not recording The Story of Frozen, another ABC special. This one's about the making of Frozen and isn't quite Christmassy enough to qualify as a Misfit (it premiered in September 2014) but Frozen is of course a winter-themed movie and in some areas it reran around Christmastime.

10. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I recorded The Story of Frozen, but not It's Your 50th Christmas, Charlie Brown. Incidentally, Frozen will get an actual Christmas special next year, apparently about Olaf.

11. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

The ABC special I regret not recording, but I did watch it on it's original airing, was The ABC's of Schoolhouse Rock. Did anyone tape it?
    The Frozen special is on Amazon Instant Video, and the Charlie Brown special can be found easily if you Google it. Although the Frozen special may not be considered misfit, the Disney Christmas parade about it may be considered that, since it was more of a tribute special to Frozen than a Christmas celebration. My favorite part was when the Hawaiian kids sang "Do You Want To Build A Snowman?".

12. Gear3dGryph0n

I have no idea. I think it's just a cheap DTV movie. I found it on YouTube while running a search for John de Lancie.

13. twilicorn

It actually must have aired on some middle-of-nowhere stations. Up until a couple of years ago, YTV (our Nickelodeon) had the broadcast rights to these weird DTV Christmas specials such as this version of the Nutcracker story

(YTV also ran The Magic Gift of the Snowman and a version of A Christmas Carol, both by the same studio. I think they had all the Jetlag Productions catalog back in the day to fulfill the obligatory CanCon quotas - I vaguely remember them running an adaptation of Heidi that I presume was the Jetlag one as well.)

Also several cheap, ugly CGI specials that were about the "origin" of some Christmas custom (e.g. "The Tale of the Christmas Stocking"), and made up this weird story usually involving heartwarming orphans, rich people and/or talking animals, the stocking one I remember was about a mouse who lives in some guy's attic finding something to entertain his sick brother or something stupid like that. There were at least four in all, I forgot who did them (I think 9 Story, a B-list Canadian studio, had a hand in the production unless I'm suffering from the Mandela Effect) and what their names are, so if anyone can fill in the blanks for me, that'll be good!

On a related note, another special they ran was this Disney-like thing with animation that reminded me of the Sabrina series. I saw it ONCE, many years back, and it drove me crazy trying to find it. From what I could remember, it was about a princess who was kidnapped from her family as a kid and as an adult she set off on a quest to find her real family; there was also a song she remembered from her youth. I found out years later that this was "A Fairy Tale Christmas", a film best known for being reissued in the UK with the title "Braver" and a cover reminiscent of Pixar's Brave at the EXACT time that film hit theaters. When Peter did that "Braver" article several years back, I was semi-hoping it would be about Fairy Tale Christmas only to find that it was about the Gummi Bears instead. Anyway, here's the special.

I kind of agree with you there, the Frozen Christmas Celebration felt more like a blatant cash-in on Frozen's runaway success than a Christmas parade (not that I hate Frozen, mind you... I actually see a lot of myself in Elsa). They were right to remove the "Parade" from the title because it didn't even feel like one; the parade segments were largely excised in order for Disney to squeeze in some extra product placement for their theme parks and cruise ships. The "Unforgettable Christmas" was a bit truer to form; they got back a bit more parade but it's (along with the Frozen thing) still guilty of using some songs that aren't related to Christmas OR Disney in the concert segments. If I were in charge I'd excise those few non-Disney, non-Christmas songs and substitute them with some lesser-known holiday tunes like "Christmas Wrapping". Also, it doesn't feel right to put Santa near the beginning of the parades, then that leaves a big gaping hole in the conclusion.

Also, here's some other requests for the Misfit Christmas Special pile:
    -Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa (Peter missed a golden opportunity to use it for his "Kermit Month")
    -Brought To You By...Santa (basically an AFV-esque clipshow of various commercials with a holiday theme)
    -A David Foster Christmas Card (a worthy companion to "The Bestest Present" IMO)
    -Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas (not much of a misfit I know... but like Christmas Eve on SS it rarely airs nowadays even with Kermit. Freeform aired it recently but their method of restoring it is a bit... off)
    -A Special Sesame Street Christmas (basically the Star Wars holiday special of Sesame Street. Available on DVD from Legend Film Group, who plays up Michael Jackson's minute-long cameo)
    -Kenny and Dolly: A Christmas To Remember (it's been established that you don't like slow country, and it has quite a bit of that but there's some upbeat tunes in there as well)
    -How the Grinch Stole Christmas (ok, I'm cheating a bit here, but I have a fairly recent airing that has a bonus half-hour of behind the scenes stuff hosted by Tom Bergeron)
    -The Christmas Computer Caper (weird low-budget early 80's Miami special)
    -Roundhouse's Christmas episode (I'm stretching the definition here but Roundhouse was a misfit series on Nick's lineup to begin with so let's roll with it)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dsneybuf

I haven't seen that myself, but apparently they took some interviews from a 1994 TNT telecast, hosted by Phil Hartman, and replaced his segments.
    My mother actually had a recording of the Hartman version, which our DVD also includes as a bonus feature.

15. Gear3dGryph0n

How about Hallmark's Hoops & Yoyo Ruin Christmas? This one runs on CBS, but has been flying under the radar since 2011. It's cute, and is about the title characters almost doing the title deed by disrupting a young Kris Kringle's path to becoming Santa Claus.

The voices alone are a sell to me - imagine if you took Cartman and Kyle, made them G-rated, and proceeded to stone them off their hindsides, so much so that I almost expect one of them to slip up and drop an F-bomb. Even the plot sounds like something Harold & Kumar would do given the setup. It sounds and looks like something that would be cute and saccharine, especially with Hallmark's name behind it, but is a whole heap of hilarious in unconventional ways. The simple modernist art style is easy on the eyes as well.

16. twilicorn

I was actually wondering about how old the interview segments were - my copy aired in 2008 and features interviews from at least two people (Chuck Jones and Thurl Ravenscroft) who had been dead for several years. I figured they couldn't be older than 2001 at the most.

17. Dsneybuf

Did Bergerson deliver a dramatic reading of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch", like Phil Hartman did?

18. twilicorn

yes!

19. nomadcowatbk

nomadcowatbk New Member

Christmas Every Day (Family Channel 1996),

Groundhog Day knockoff, even acknowledged in the movie

20. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

This used to air on ABC Family up until 2014-ish. IIRC, this film disappeared around the same time A Boy Named Charlie Brown stopped being aired on ABC Family.

Speaking of which, here are some more ABC Family specials:

I don't live in Canada, so it must have been probably some syndication channel like Rapsittie was on most stations (where I lived, ABC aired the latter), but thanks for trying to help.

#520 mimitchi33, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016