1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

also have you stopped doing the mary lou retton thing after every review? Maybe she decided to quit after seeing the sesame street special and decided that no other special she saw would ever compare (after all, she did call it "Supercharged!")

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It was never intended to be permanent; just a running gag kind of thing. It'll only reappear if I get a funny idea for one.

3. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

I'm not sure if this really counts as a misfit, but the old game show Shop til you Drop (when it was on Lifetime in the early 90s) had their own holiday special; it was an hour-long and featured B-list celebrities playing for charity and an expanded $10,000 bonus round. Here it is:

4. Norman Krasner

Norman Krasner New Member

were Burt Reynolds or Sean Connery not available?

5. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

No, Burt Reynolds co-produced Win, Lose or Draw with Bert Convy, Kline & Friends and Buena Vista TV a few years before this.

6. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

I remember watching the Shop Til You Drop remake, but not the older one.

7. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

And by remake, you either mean the Family Channel run, the Pax run with Pat Finn and Dee Baker (yep, the voiceover guy), or the crappy "megastore" era with JD Roberto? That was when the show went downhill.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

The PAX TV run.

9. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

10. twilicorn

I actually read about that on TV Tropes. But yeah, that lady really does love sloths. When she found out she was getting one for her birthday she was crying before she even saw it.

11. twilicorn

I know it's a bit early to consider Misfit Specials, but would you put this in your list of potential Christmas specials to review? It's from the 70's, which explains a LOT. Here's part 1, part 2 is in the related videos:

12. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

How about "George and the Christmas Star"?

13. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Ever hear of "A Very Retail Christmas" with Ed O'Neil? Here's a promo (attached to a fresh prince promo):

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Yup, I've heard of it and I have it. It's coming at some point.

15. twilicorn

Also came up with another potential misfit: Christmas at Walt Disney World, a TV special (wouldn't call it a "variety special" in the sense of the way the special flows, it's more of a non-linear compilation film) from 1978. The entire special can be found here:

16. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

I have the Bump In the Night Complete series on DVD, and it has a Christmas special called "Twas the Night Before Bumpy." (Sorry, not "BumpITy.") Are you interested?

17. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Actually, yes -- I remember seeing that and thinking it was a mess. If I remember correctly, the plot ends and then the special goes on for another twenty minutes.

18. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

Christmas will be here before you know it. Here's some suggestions I have for this December:
    • Mumfie's White Christmas (Although it was very obscure, it was successful enough to extend the TV series upon which it was based and air a second year.)
    • The Rapsittie Kids: Believe In Santa (Quite possibly the worst animation of all time!)
    • Yummi Gummi Search For Santa
    • Rugrats: The Santa Experience (This aired on CBS in 2001 with the Hannukah episode, and it rarely gets aired anymore. The only country I know of that still airs this yearly is the United Kingdom.)
    • Hoops and YoYo Ruin Christmas! (You said you captured it a few years back, and I'd love to see your thoughts on it).
    • The Twelve Days of Christmas (a special that's even more obscure than the Mumfie one, this one tells the story of a knight trying to win a princess' love. I learned about this from an old news article describing Christmas specials that would air that year, and thanks to said article, I know it's most recent airing was in 2000).
    • The Secret World of Santa Claus (A TV series aired in Canada every Christmas.)
    • My Little Pony: A Very Minty Christmas (I loved this as a child, and it used to air on Disney Channel and Toon Disney every year).
    • Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas (I saw this last year, and it didn't feel like an ordinary Christmas TV special.)
    • Shining Time Station: 'Tis A Gift (This aired in primetime and has Ringo Starr as Mr. Conductor).
    • Noel (someone requested it ten years ago, and it seems very interesting)
    • A Family Circus Christmas (I agree with the people who are asking you to do this).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

I love this one just because the characters sound like Eric Cartman stoned off his ass.

20. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas is not a misfit. Sure it doesn't air anywhere now, but it used to. Or perhaps it's just me.