1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. VanceTheVHSGuy

I expect that Emmet Otter will appear, even if Kermit only appears in some prints of the special. The HIT Entertainment and Lionsgate prints don't have it in the special, but has it as a bonus feature..

2. Norman Krasner

Norman Krasner New Member

they probably don't want to air any pre-Elmo SS

• Like Like x 1
    #462 Norman Krasner, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  3. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

I heard that ABC Family recently aired the Emmet Otter special WITH the Kermit scenes.

4. VanceTheVHSGuy

Well, Disney owns ABC Family and The Muppets, so it would sort of be necessary to add the Kermit scenes.

5. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if there's a room for this special, "Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus". This was made by Bill Melendez, and you can tell that years of working on the Peanuts specials really affected his style at this point.

6. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

I have that recorded along with The Bells of Fraggle Rock and The Year Without A Santa Claus! Might watch it sometime this week.

7. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

8. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

Interesting.

9. Dsneybuf

Volume 2 has two copyright screens for every episode: One that shows the year in which the episode aired, and one that says the Muppets Holding Company still owned Kermit in 2007. The second one doesn't have any music, resulting in a silence in between the credits and the PBS logo.

10. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

11. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

This comment, from that page, explains everything:

We put a lot of time into this show at Reinert – did lots of design work and character layouts – but the production was yanked away from us when the guy we were doing it for was indicted for fraud!

I never knew that it had been completed by others and apparently aired! I really can’t remember how it all shook out, so I was hoping Kausler’s comments could refresh my memory!

I do recall that among the people animating on it (while it was still under our purview) were Dan Haskett, Glen Keane, Mark Henn, Fred Hellmich and Mark Dindal! None of their scenes seem to have survived the transfer to a new producer.

I knew some of those drawings looked familiar! There would have been real talent behind the animation but it turned out THAT way because production was halted.

12. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

13. twilicorn

You forgot to include an approval from Mary Lou Retton. It's probably too late now, not that you'd mind.

14. Dsneybuf

It doesn't sound as disappointing as just having a December with fewer Misfit Specials than before.

15. twilicorn

I have a feeling that the next Misfit is going to be the Lady Gaga and the Muppets Holiday Spectacular, but I wouldn't mind if it turned out to be Letters to Santa instead.

16. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

Cricket on the Hearth was on COZI TV @ 1am this morning. I thought of this thread when I saw it.

17. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

Don't know if it's too late for this year, too early for next year, or if this one's already been suggested, but I nominate Elf Sparkle Meets Christmas the Horse, with Santa Claus voiced by John de Lancie.

John seems to have the right voice for singing, however he has admitted at conventions that he is not a good singer. A certain other project involving John de Lancie and a "horsey" title at least worked around this by having him sprechgesang his way through "Glass of Water" using a frenetic, comedic pace, however this one goes all the way by trying to make him sing an actual Christmas standard - poorly.

Unfortunately, the cheap, cutout-style Flash animation doesn't help matters, as it looks like it came from a Windows 95 game. That's sad considering this was made in 2009 and could, you know, afford to get John de Lancie.

Moral of the story, kids? When a guy says he can't sing, I suggest you take his word for it and not try to pay him to do it. That way you can save your budget for better things.

And to the Bronies, my sincerest apologies for this crushing blow to John de Lancie's credibility. To make it up, go watch him as the Devil in The Librarians.

18. twilicorn

Rudolph's Shiny New Year is on TV as I write this, and I was wondering if you'd ever thought of putting it in the Misfit specials? Because it sort of fits the misfit mold because of Rudolph and that New Years is right around Christmas

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dsneybuf

Since I know Kristen Bell mainly for her performance as Princess Anna from Frozen, I find it kind of jarring to realize that Lady Gaga/Muppet special came out only one day after that movie premiered.

20. twilicorn

fact: Between Merry Muppet Christmas and Gaga Holiday Spectacular, Piggy sang "Santa Baby" on the 2006 album A Green And Red Christmas. The version found there is mainly identical to the one from the Gaga special except the backing singers don't play much of a big role.