1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Mr. Manager

Mr. Manager Active Member

Everyone used to be able to, until they started cracking down. Starting a while ago, only those with director accounts can upload video exceeding twelve or so minutes.

2. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Would you count the Justice League Christmas episode "Comfort and Joy" as misfit? It was only aired once AFAIK.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I counted the Christmas episode of Pinky and the Brain because though it was part of the regular 65-episode library, it was aired as a special. Was this aired as a special?

4. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

5. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Aw, I was kinda hoping for a full-fledged review on "The Star Wars Christmas Special". I've heard the tales of its awfulness, but never actually seen it.

I have memories of "Frosty's Winter Wonderland" from my childhood. Looking back on it now, it really is completely devoid of a plotline.

6. Rocketboy

Rocketboy It's party time

I could have sworn I've seen Frosty's Winter Wonderland on TV 1 or 2 years ago.

7. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The reason I wrote nothing is because there's been so much about it written already, I don't know what I could add to it.

If you all really, really want to see a proper Star Wars Holiday Special review, I could be persuaded though.....

It hasn't aired outside of cable. You saw it there.

8. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

Frosty Returns has a copyright date of 1992, not 1996. I was never that fond of it, and some of the jokes in the special are horribly dated to that era (the villain rapping, a schoolteacher with more than a passing resemblance to Hallmark Cards's "Maxine" character complaining to her rowdy class "What do you think this is, MTV?"). I assume the only reason it was made is because CBS didn't have the rights to Wonderland- for some reason, the rights to the Rankin/Bass specials are split between two companies. The later ones you usually see on ABC Family- such as The Year Without A Santa Claus and, yes, Frosty's Winter Wonderland, are owned by Warner Bros. and the older specials, including the perennials you usually see on CBS, including Rudolph and Frosty, seem to change hands every few years. The current owner is Classic Media, a character-ownership conglomerate which also controls Bullwinkle, the Harvey characters, the UPA characters, the Lone Ranger, and a number of others- which itself was recently purchased by a British company called Entertainment Rights, which controls the Filmation library, among other things.

9. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Really? Why is that? I distinctly remember it making its debut in 1996.

10. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

best and worst 15 bucks I ever spent at a convention.

A bootleg of it is not hard to find.

There may even be clips of its horror on youtube lol.

11. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

You've got to do "Christmas comes to pac-land". Maybe next year.

12. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

13. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Reader madhair_60 just pointed out something I failed to notice regarding Up On the Housetop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SAME CLOTHES

14. madhair60

madhair60 Member

That I did.

Ah, there we are. Took me ages to get this working!

And hi, it's me. I'm back. Hopefully I'll be a bit more active now.

Yes, I did notice that and it is utterly uncanny!

15. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

Well, to be fair, the only good thing about Frosty's Wonderland is Andy Griffith and Dennis Day's rendition of "Winter Wonderland." Almost every Rankin-Bass special, even the lame ones, have at least one song that's beautifuly sung.

...well maybe except the Leperuchan's Christmas Gold. Now that's one you should tackle sometime.

Also maybe you should try doing the BBC production "Robbie the Reindeer In Hooves of Fire", since it only aired for like three years on CBS. Interseting fact that before CBS bought the rights it had already aired for several years on ABC Family, but with the original British voices. CBS ruined it by redubbing it with celbs like Brittney Spears*shudders*.

#35 J.E.Smith, Dec 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  16. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

Some of the voices for the American version of Robbie the Reindeer (and its follow-up, Legend of the Lost Tribe) were well-chosen. I particularly liked Jerry Stiller as the demented mentor Jingle. "Remember, you are what you eat. Mmm, nuts!"

17. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Okay, I swear I began working on the Hooves of Fire review before either of those posts appeared. Right now, I can't do Legend of the Lost Tribe (or the third one that'll premiere on BBC this Christmas) because I can't find them.

The Pac-Man one, though, was obviously based on request.

Can't AOL do anything right? They give you an option to embed their videos into webpages, so I tried that with Pac-Man, and the code resulted in none of my other images showing up. So I had to take that little bonus off the end of the review.

I suspect (and I'm probably right) that the big reason for In2TV existing is so that Timewarner can actually make some of the money YouTube is making off their own films. Well, it's never gonna happen if they're INCAPABLE OF BUILDING A WORKING WEBSITE.

18. Dynamite XI

Dynamite XI Whoa, where have I been?

I'm trying to remember, but didn't Fox Kids show the British version of "Hooves of Fire" a few years before the Americanized version hit CBS?

If I'm recalling correctly, they were going to air an episode of "Digimon" immediately following the special, and they advertised that pairing nonstop for most of the month, with the most annoying jingle imaginable (Let's meet Robbie/he's a reindeer/and a real good dancer, hey!).

19. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Can I make an appeal for Yogi's First Christmas and its thorough examination of that bizarre phenomenon known as "Christmas Dudes"?

20. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Yeah, they did.

On the subject of forgotten christmas specials, for those who haven't found out yet, the Opus & Bill special is now on DVD.