"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

http://www.platypuscomix.net/hollywood/misfitsindex.html

A place for all the unloved. There are so many, I may make this an annual deal and add more every season. Let me know what you'd like to see covered here.

I was also going to add a couple videos, but deadline didn't allow it. They'll be around in a day or two...

2. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Man, if there's one thing that I never get bored with, it's reading about the past failures of various TV networks. More, please!

3. Tube Dude

Tube Dude New Member

I do remember Jingle Bell Rock and Snowden's Christmas airing twice on TV, but I just don't remember when.:confused:

4. Peter Paltridge

5. mojokingbee1

mojokingbee1 Active Member

I vaguely remember seeing "Up On The Housetop" on VHS when I was young.

6. Mr. Manager

Mr. Manager New Member

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Snowden's Christmas, because it sounds like the exact opposite of most Christmas specials.

7. Peter Paltridge

Back by popular demand for a second week, with five more specials!

8. Greg1

Greg1 Ness Vet

I'm surprised you saved my old screencaps for "The Wish That Changed Christmas."

On a related note: Christmas In Tattertown

9. Peter Paltridge

I didn't; those were all that was left on the article when I had to look it up on archive.org. You were the only one with screenshots, and they're not on your site anymore, so I hoped you didn't mind. I also sent you a PM a few days ago asking if you had the rest, but it's too late now.

10. oozlefinch

oozlefinch Guest

Wow, first of all, thanks for the article. Never realized that the special 'It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown' was only played once. I grew up watching the copy my parents taped from the premeire, with the "brought to you by SHELL GASOLINE!" ads tacked in. (and something about the energizer bunny, if I recall correctly)

Crazy how they don't play it anymore. The voice actors seem to have a feel for what they're saying (I think it's most evident in Peppermint Patty), and David Benoit doesn't go outright emulating Guaraldi's style most of the time(how he does it now just irritates me).

But yeah.. all in all it's better 'cause it's a lot more than just kids phonetically reading comic strips.

Now, A Pinky and a Brain Christmas.... I think I'm going to cry just thinking about it..... fjord. It's criminal that it doesn't air.. it's billions of times better than what the WB played this year, 'Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer'... which is so poorly done it'll make any scrooge instantly weep. It's so bad even calling it a 'Misfit' Christmas Special would be giving it too much recognition, if only by acknowledging it's existence. Agh.

James Brown died. Ouch. But let's all remain funky and have a good day, X-Mas or otherwise.

"Mary never wore glasses!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2006
  11. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

"and Kazooie--I mean, Drummer the surly bear"
    Did you mean Banjo?

Beautiful homage to PatB Christmas :3

The Charlie Brown one.. I think I remember where he was trying to get his girlfriend the gloves but she got them from her mom.. you sure this only aired once?

12. Greg1

Greg1 Ness Vet

Oh, my bad. Yeah, I still have all the images somewhere, I do intend to repost that article at some point along with all the other missing ones. Anyway, it's alright that you used them. :)

13. Peter Paltridge

It did only air once. And I did mean Kazooie--I was comparing the two characters in personality, not species.

14. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

I have "It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown" on video somewhere (I got it when Shell stations were giving them out with a purchase of at least $25 worth of gas). It comes nowhere close to topping "A Charlie Brown Christmas", obviously, but it far outstrips "I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown" on just about every level.

And now I'm sorely disappointed that I haven't yet purchased "Pinky and the Brain: Volume 1". I must see the Christmas special and make it an annual tradition.

15. takineko

ah ok then

16. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi 30 Years of Turtle Power

I don't think the P&tB special is misfit, it beat out the Simpsons for an Emmy for cripes' sake!

17. takineko

18. Peter Paltridge

Just so you know: I'm not counting A Garfield Christmas as misfit. It ran for many years, and too many people have fond memories of it.

Thanks for the link though. I wasn't aware one was allowed to upload a solid 22 minute video (everything I've seen on YouTube has been in pieces lasting ten minutes at the most).

19. takineko

Thats kinda why I didn't type "here's another misfit" because it was good, but I don't hear about it anymore

20. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Ten Years on TZ!

Well at least it's on DVD, so it IS out there.