"The Hunger Games" Film Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Spider-Man, Mar 23, 2012.

?

"The Hunger Games" - Rate the Movie!

1. *****

36.4%
  2. ****1/2

27.3%
  3. ****

18.2%
  4. ***1/2

18.2%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor​

[​IMG]
    The Hunger Games
    Release Date: March 23, 2012 (2D and IMAX theaters)
    Studio: Lionsgate
    Director: Gary Ross
    Screenwriter: Gary Ross, Suzanne Collins, Billy Ray
    Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz, Wes Bentley, Toby Jones, Alexander Ludwig, Isabelle Fuhrman, Amandla Stenberg, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland

Plot Summary: Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains.

Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make
    impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

"The Hunger Games" is directed by Gary Ross, and produced by Nina Jacobson's Color Force in tandem with producer Jon Kilik. Suzanne Collins' best-selling novel, the first in a trilogy published by Scholastic that has over 16 million copies in print in the United States alone, has developed a massive global following.

Comments?

2. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

.... You know I was expecting this to have....at least ONE review of it up already. I mean this is the biggest non sequal opening of all time in the U.S and yet no one on TZ has made a review of it? Well I'll change that and as per usual of my reviews it's long, rambly and talks at length about the movie so I'm putting it in spoiler tags.

3. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I went with my wife to see this on her birthday. She was all excited about it cause she's read the books, I have not. I thought that it was a good production, but I really didn't like the story. Here's the thing, and my wife gets upset with me about this because she says that it's part of the story. I really didn't like how the people get all excited for the games like they're watching American Idol. I felt that people should've viewed the games as evil. But like I said, my wife says that's part of the story. Anyway, that's what I didn't like about the movie. Otherwise, it wasn't bad. So had everyone viewed the games, and the people involved with the games, as being evil I might've really liked the movie.

4. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I want to see this. It kinda sounds like an American Battle Royale, with a little The Long Walk mixed in.

5. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    You just pointed out while watching this, I was waving my fist at the screen. This movie made me think about where America is going in the near future - that's how much it touched me.

This movie is awesome because it doesn't make a political statement in a forced manner - you know it's there in how oppressed those having to participate in this pocket genocide are with how they act, dress, and emote!

This movie IS our current generation's cautionary tale and should be viewed as such - that's how good it is.

So yeah... EAT THE RICH!

6. suss2it

suss2it New Member

I thought this movie was alright. I wish that it would've focused more on the actual Hunger Games and less on all the setup and talks of sponsors and all that.

7. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

Well I finished all 3 books within a 48-hour period earlier this week, so I went and saw the movie this afternoon. I'm going to be honest about it. This is one of the most faithful book to movie transitions I have seen. In terms of the games and the deaths I only saw 1 major change. However I will be honest when I say they used too much money to get all the different camera angles. Honestly have we forgotten the simplicity of the T-Rex in the original Jurassic Park breaking through the trees? Have we forgotten the simplicity of Indiana Jones when he runs from the rock to avoid being smashed? Usually no more than 2 camera angles are used in some of the greatest movie suspense angles. We didn't need 7 different angles of Katniss running through the forest.

Also, while it is one of the most faithful book to movie transitions, you won't have any idea what is going on unless you have read the book in advance. Personally I would have liked to see a little more of the backgrounds. Cinna made a lasting impression on me in the book. Here Cinna's greatest line is "I feel sorry that you have to go through this." Peeta's stylist isn't shown at all. I was very upset they didn't include the death of Katniss's dad more than they did. Sure, they showed him going into the mine and then it exploding, but we don't really get to connect that it was his death that made Katniss go out and hunt. It was his death that made her and Gale friends because of having something common. It was his death that put her mom into a state of depression. And why the heck did they have the Cinna/ Petta bread sharing scene appear to be within the past year when it was supposed to be 6 years earlier? For that matter why the heck didn't we get to see the scene where Peeta's dad comes to Katniss? Some people would say these are small things that aren't needed. However every one of those scenes I mentioned could have fit within the movie if they made it just 15 to 20 minutes longer, and it would have made it where the Games didn't feel as rushed. I was also upset that they didn't have the thunderstorm in the cave scenes, but they did want to try to keep it no higher than PG-13. Still, it's those scenes in the cave that tie Peeta and Katniss so close to each other to where they want to take the berries in the first place.

Overall I won't say this isn't a good movie, but I'm only giving it a 4. We didn't need to see the rebellion start in this first movie. We didn't need to see President Snow leaving the berries for his Gamekeeper. They didn't enhance the movie. Sometimes sticking with the book all the way, even if it means you need to make it a 2-part movie, is the best way to go. All the little scenes left out would have only enhanced the movie and certainly would have made it easier for those who haven't read the books to understand.

8. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I couldn't do that it if my life depended on it :p.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
  9. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men

I saw this on opening day and apparently just forgot to post about it, haha. I've been looking forward to the movie since the movie rights were sold.

My only complaint was that some of the shaky cam stuff was a bit too much, making my stomach turn. I know a fair amount of the film was shot with handhelds but there were certain points I would have preferred the screen just to be still.

But otherwise I loved it (as much as you can love a story that's so grim). I was absolutely exhausted after seeing it; I can't remember the last time a film emotionally wrung me out like that. I went with my mother, who had just read the books the week before (I'd read them the summer before Mockingjay came out so it's been awhile for me) and we sat in the car after for a silent minute before going, "Wow. Just wow."

It hit all the notes I hoped it would and then some. I was very near sobbing at Rue's death scene, doing my best to keep my crying quiet, haha. I loved how it was inter-cut with the first rumblings of rebellion. That was one of the instances that really did a good job of showing us things that we could never see in the books since they were from Katniss' point of view but were important events.

The cast was stellar. Stanley Tucci was a standout as Caesar Flickerman. I loved Lenny Kravtiz as Cinna more than I expected to. Donald Sutherland was properly creepy as President Snow--looking forward to seeing him as the role expands in the future. Woody Harrelson was not how I pictured Haymitch but he really got the character. Elizabeth Banks was fabulous as Effie. And her costumes? Wow. Liam Hemsworth didn't have too much to do as Gale just yet but is definitely a good fit for the character. Again, looking forward to seeing him as his role expands.

Josh Hutcherson was wonderful as Peeta. I like that they didn't try to make him tougher than he was in the books. After all, he's the baker's son, not a hunter like Katniss or Gale. He's strong and smart and has a silver tongue, but he's not a survivor.

And Jennifer Lawrence was incredible as Katniss. She was strong, smart, and tough. Katniss is not a people person, but she's a survivor. The combination of her and Peeta works well because they fill in each others' weaknesses. It's so refreshing to see a strong heroine on the big screen. I love the scene when she shoots the apple in the pig's mouth in the training center. One of my favorite parts of the book and it worked so well on screen.

Overall, so great. This is what a proper book-to-film adaptation looks like.

*****/*****

10. suss2it

suss2it New Member

Speaking as someone who saw the movie but didn't read the books I was able to follow just fine. The movie definitely didn't need to be any longer and if anything should've trimmed 15-20mins. And if this was a two-parter I definitely wouldn't have watched it. Or maybe I would've just watched part 2 for the Hunger Games. Movie adaptions shouldn't slavishly stick to every word in the book to appease the book fans and should focus more on capturing the spirit of the book. After all books and movies are two different mediums and stuff that works in one won't necessarily work in the other.

11. Shawn Hopkins

They wimped out by not showing Peeta kill, though.

12. spartanx54

spartanx54 New Member

This movie was absolutely fantastic, I loved it. Unfortunately I didn't arrive to the movie until the chooisng of tributes from district 12 ::shrug: It definetely not as gory as I thought it was gonna be, to be honest I thought I was gonna close my eyes the whole time in the actual games part.

And,

Overall, I was at the edge of my seat. Encore! encore! Can't wait for the next movie.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I've read all three books, and I thought it was really good. The shaky cam got annoying in some of the action scenes, but otherwise, I really liked the sets, costumes, and the cinematography. The music was okay, it didn't impress me.

The acting was overall really good. Liam Hemsworth is the only actor who didn't really impress me here, but then, his character didn't actually do much here at all.

The ending was a bit.....sudden, I guess, but it could have definately been worse.

14. suss2it

suss2it New Member

Did he kill in the book?

15. Swordfish_II

Swordfish_II New Member

Just the girl that lit the fire I think.

16. Shawn Hopkins

Yeah, in the book he goes back to finish off a wounded tribute, the girl at the campfire. They "Greedo shot first" this one a bit.

I still need to go see this movie. Might try to check it out tomorrow night.

17. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Active Member

I never read the books, and I thought of this as another Twilight. But I finally saw it, and was surprised. Oh wow, is this a good movie. I love the social satire. The whole talk of "cheer for your favourites, boo when then die" reminded me of American Idol and other shows a lot. The Games struck me as something that I can see a government like this putting in place and I can see these people accepting it. They've convinced them that they committed this terrible wrong in those revolutions, and they could be destroyed at any time. But instead they give them this as a "gift." The class system was great, very much like Brazil (the movie, not the place) I just loved the story, and it made sense to me. There was tons of action. The Games never dragged and had me at the edge of my seat. I do wish there was less shaky cam, however. It worked well building up tension, but made some action scenes unwatchable. Now, the love story, the thing that made me stay away. I thought it was well done. I saw the first Twilight movie, and this was a million times better. I cared about these two characters, and I wanted to see them get together. The slow upbringing of their relationship was well done and believeable. Jennifer Lawrence amazed me with her acting. She is one to watch. I'm not a fan of Josh Hutcherson, but he was really solid here. The whole cast was good, with Elizabeth Banks in particular doing a good job and making her unrecognizeable. Overall, a great movie that for me will be the surprise of the year. It really feels good to gush about a movie I thought would suck, but this one deserves it. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Avengers has a tough act to follow this week!