1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The highly grossing sequal to X-men: E The Cauldron impressions.

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by I.R Joey, May 12, 2001.

1. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

I saw the secound episode today half in anticipation and half with my eyes closed.

"Please don't let them kill it, please don't let them kill it."

Okay, it starts with a recap, good...good. Then it shows Cyclopse and Prof X with the whole talking thing, and the radiation chamber. I thought that was interesting, and Prof X talking with Logan through his telepathy made for an interesting scene. He told him to llose the battle. Anyway, Magneto was portrayed fairly not as well as in Fox's series but well. He seemed more like a tyrant then someone who wanted to save his people. I don't know I just don't see him as someone who would use a method as indirect as mind control. The scene with jean trying to convine Cyclopse that he was wrong was also good stuff. The ending was really corny though Prof X

"Because we are the X-Men."

I'd give it an 8/10

2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The Cauldron

I actually really, really enjoyed this episode, except for the corny ending. Anyone else notice Mystique's new redesign is EXACTLY like the movie, but with clothes? I wonder what Magneto's new look will be. Looks like we got a new X-Man. It's odd, becuase I thought a couple would leave after the finale. All in all, this was actually a good ending to the season, except for X's speech.

3. oranthal

oranthal Superman: A hero in life and in death

how did scott and alex return to normal?

after they came out of the machine, they were were buff and had white hair. then after they shot down asteroid M, they returned to normal. yeah, that makes a whole a lot of sense.

and magneto without the helmet looked way too young; he was sporting the same hair cut as scott just dyed white. both of you are right, the ending was too sappy.

4. Crazy8s

Crazy8s Guest

Mutated Mutants

I didn't have any real high hopes for this episode. I just hoped it would be a little better than the majority of the season. I liked the similarities of the two brothers falling from the sky as childred and then as young adults. But the entire radiation machine thing seemed lame to me. Why did it bleach out the Summers boys' hair? And Scott looked like a wrestler with a broken nose when he came out! Gack!

I didn't care for anyone's look once they went through the goofy machine, and I thot Mystic looked far brawnier and uglier than the movie version. Fortunately, once the machine went cablooie, everyone apparently returned to 'normal', so we won't have to look at those awful character designs any more.

And I didn't quite understand why Prof X chose to leave Scott after the transformation, knowing that the machine had done some sort of mind control on him. Scott shouldn't have had to appologized for being under the influence of the thing--he couldn't help himself! In Marvel land (the one I remember) team mates would often knock a brain altered member for a loop and bring them home to try to reverse the affects.

5. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

I'll just splice my review of "The Cauldron" 2 over here from the Warner Bros. Club forum. I see a lot of you are expressing the same views I am.
    This one was marginally better than the first, but they still really fumbled things with Magneto's characterization. Though megalomaniacal, he's never been depraved enough to artificially boost mutant abilities--control, yes, but not force them to evolve. He simply comes off as a madman with no explanation as to what drove him adopt his views of mutancy, or even how Charles got to know such a man as Eric Magnus.
    While Wolverine throws a fight (at Charles' order) and Sabretooth is spirited off to Asteroid X, the junior mutants return to the mansion--with Toad Tolansky in tow--and find it trashed. They form a second odd alliance with Mystique, who wants a piece of Magneto as revenge for forcing her to prove her worth for him (though she seems oddly blase that he also abducted her child years ago, even when Kurt refers to her as "Mother".)
    We see the touching backstory on Scott and Alex and how they were forced to leave their parents behind in a burning plane while they leaped to safety. ..followed by them walking willingly into Magneto machine. Now...Alex, maybe, but I would think Scott knew better than to believe Lil' Maggie's promises of a better life.
    It seems the machine not only boosts mutant power, but whitens their hair, which may explain why Magnus has such snowy locks yet not a wrinkle, though he must be at least fifty or sixty if he fought in WWII. It also makes Sabretooth more feral than before.
    Jean forces Scott to realize, after he attacks his friends, that if he wants a better future, then it'll be without her. A battle royal ensues, and Asteroid M goes down in flames. Mystique is thrown into the machine, and comes out a few minutes later looking like a blue-painted lady wrestler, complete with bulging biceps and a bushy haircut. Sister, you're about ten or twelve years late for G.L.O.W.
    Somehow, in decimating the last of Asteroid M with their powers, Scott and Alex loose their power boost and white hair. (I don't fully realize how.) It's mentioned two ships were seen leaving the wreckage--presumably Magnus and Mystique, but where's Sabretooth?--and the professor offers Alex a chance to train and grow with the X-Men. End with a group pose and smile for the camera, as Charles thunders, "We are the X-Men."
    Really, this could have been handled better. A couple of good moments of pathos, but not enough real character development. Magneto still comes off shallow and without motivation, and the buffer Mystique just doesn't fit with the slim, sexy shapeshifter from the comics or any other series' continuity.

6. James Harvey

Magneto

Since they've de-aged everyone here, maybe they've changed theback history. Now, I haven't seen every KWB episodes, but maybe they're nixing all that war stuff. Prof X. looks pretty young, too. Maybe Magneto takes really good care of his skin.
    :)

7. I.R Joey

You're right.

And how much would Megnus change if he's already been in that thing?

8. James Harvey

Magnet

I can't see him being altered too much. Maybe his suit will just be all black now or something. I just hope he doesn't become a grunt like Sabretooth, who took a turn for the worse in that ep.

9. I.R Joey

yeah.

Agreed, they should have kept his old designs.