The Green Lantern In Animation: A Retrospective

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by Stu, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

Hey everyone,

Haven't done one of these in a while, but the timing seemed right, as we are days away from The Green Lantern finally getting his own animated show. As always, images appear courtesy of The World's Finest. Special shout out to Jim Harvey for his help too. And away we go - as always, feel free to post your own comments on the colourful history of the Emerald Knight!

_____

Having had as big a surge in popularity in the comic books as one can ever recall hearing about, never mind reading, it seemed almost inevitable that The Green Lantern would finally make it mainstream. Unfortunately, Warner Bros. inability to make a decent live action superhero film that doesn't feature Batman in it has once again derailed their plans.

The Green Lantern has had a whole host of appearances outside of comic books since the pop culture fell in love with superheroes again shortly after the release of the original Spider-Man movie in 2002. I thought with the movie been and gone, and the full release of his upcoming cartoon, Green Lantern: The Animated Series, now would be a perfect time to look back upon GL's previous small screen stories.

I admit to knowing very little about Green Lantern – he’s had a massive surge in popularity in recent years in comic book circles thanks to writer Geoff John’s superlative run. I’ve read Rebirth and did enjoy it and have been encouraged by my brother on a daily basis to read this new 52 reboot featuring GL, but to advise, most of what I know about GL comes from the animated appearances and my brother twittering away about me. He often tells me GL is the best book on the shelf, to which I frequently remind him that Daredevil sits on that same shelf, to remind him he is wrong.

Anyway, enough about the character himself and my ongoing feud with my sibling – how does The Green Lantern fare in DC animation?

[​IMG]

He made his debut in the modern age in an episode of Superman: The Animated Series towards the latter end of the show’s run in In Brightest Day. For someone who knew very little about the character, this was the perfect introduction for me and made a lot better backdoor pilot than a lot of the other team ups featured in the stellar show’s history. Kyle Rayner was the Lantern in the time in the comic books and he is the version they used in the show here – regrettably, his sweet 90’s costume isn’t translated here – we get a rather generic GL costume which still managed to pop on the screen thanks to the great colouring this show had and it’s excellent animation. I suppose most of you will be tired of hearing about how much better I think traditional ink and pain is better than this fancy new digital colouring they do now (especially when it wasn't new and wasn't remotely fancy, but I'll come to that later.)

In relation to GL's appearance on S:TAS, it’s probably worth noting here that Rayner is my favourite Green Lantern. I'm not entirely certain why, but I've always had a fondness for Kyle and being that he's always been the GL during my lifetime, I wasn't exactly screaming in salvation when I hear that they were making plans for the return of Hal Jordan in the books, because I barely knew who he was. I am pretty much the same with Barry Allan being the The Flash now - Wally was always my Flash, so bringing the older guy back because DC Comics has screwed up so badly with their respective characters is not something I would jump for joy at. I see they are still struggling to get it right now - I do wonder how long it will be before they try and coerxe Mark Waid back on a full time basis, to which I tell them to stay far away from my beloved Daredevil scribe, you savages!

The episode actually shows his origin – Rayner works at The Daily Planet and following the death of Abin Sur, presumably at the hands of Sinestro, the most bad ass of all the GL villains. The ring finds Kyle and as Superman investigates the space ship crashing to Earth and meets a rather irate Sinestro, who is of course, searching for the ring. After laying the smackdown on Superman in a way The People’s Champ himself would be envious off, he continues his search for the ring and it’s new owner. (I’m beginning to think all future retrospectives should have a nod to my favourite wrestlers from my childhood from now on!)

The episode is fast paced and a lot of fun. Kyle is a lot more charismatic in the show than most of the guest stars and has good chemistry with Superman and Sinestro is quite the bad ass mo’ fo. Rayner’s unfamiliarity with the ring leads to some great moments, especially the one in which the somber Sinestro is foiled by Rayner putting green chewing gum in his hair.

The fight scenes between The Green Guardian, The Man Of Steel and Sinestro are some of director’s Curt Geda’s finest works, and are up there in some of the best Superman: TAS ever produced. There was some powerful use of both the guest stars powers here – some highly original and visually delighting stuff. The script is one of the best the late Hilary Bader ever did. For me personally, it’s a toss up between this and season one’s My Girl.

[​IMG]

I really liked Sinestro here – a very sombre, bitter villain with great casting in Ted Levine. As mentioned earlier, there was some great use of his abilities and his dialogue portrayed him as a no-nonsense mercenary – a perfect foil for our wise crackin’ Kyle, again, excellently portrayed by Micheal P. Greco. Bless Andrea Romano, she just doesn’t do miscasting does she?

In Brightest Day is one of the best episodes in the show’s run – as mentioned previously it’s doesn’t miss a beat in it’s pace, there’s some good banter between the three leads and it gives a good view at GL’s origin and his backstory – Oa, the corps, the guardians and his main nemesis are all shown in this single episode. Superman himself doesn’t do a great deal, but it’s a nice ‘different’ episode – no Lex Luthor, very little Lois Lane – just a straight up team up. It’s no World’s Finest but to be honest, there’s not really a whole lot wrong here.

He never made an appearance in Batman: The Animated Series/The New Batman Adventures but one wouldn’t have to go that far into the future to see our boy on the TV again.

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Well written retrospective, Stu. I'm glad to see some love for Kyle Rayner in animation, more so now with the focus shifted more towards Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner in general.

3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

Poor Kyle had a bit of a double strike against him in that he's not only a legacy hero (and as fans of the Robins and Batgirls can attest, legacy heroes rarely get much love in the cartoons. :p) but also part of a legacy where his fellow Lanterns will likely get preference over him for other factors. Most obvious would be John Stewart's inclusion in the JL animated series over Kyle (and don't get me wrong, John is a great character) and of course Guy, who now seems to have the role as DC's resident comic relief superhero in some ways.

4. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

My personal history with the character was reading backstories of GL comics from the 70'scomics early 80's. For some reason I never had a taste for DC books except Batman, Swamp Thing, Superman, and sometimes Flash. When I did read up on GL it was his (Jordan) team up with GA and some issues featuring him and John Stewart and the Star Sapphires. I think a relationship with that green-skinned girl. I don't know, going off of memory.

Then came this ep, and some stuff about Hal losing his mind. A turnoff for me, as I was already dealing with the Spider-clone debacle and death of Superman. Besides I had twenty more comic companies vying for my attention. I come into this series with very little expectation and knowledge which suits me fine.

5. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

Great read, I'm a big fan of Kyle Rayner and it made sense to use him at the time but Hal will always be my favourite Hal Jordan. Btw is there links to all the other DC Superheroes Retorspectives on here?

6. Stu

I like Kyle a lot - at the time, I imagine using Kyle was pretty much a foregone conclusion - I remember thinking they did some really, really cool stuff with his ring in the episode. Bear in mind, I watched this after I'd seen most of the first season of Justice League.

Although they are not up to date (Superman shockingly so) there are indeed previous retrospectives available for Batman and Superman. I am always up for discussing the older Batman/Superman cartoons, or even the modern ones, so please free to chime in with anything you'd like to add.

7. Stu

Throughout The New Batman/Superman Adventures' run, the question most fans seemed to be asking was when are we seeing The Justice League? With both of those show’s being canceled in favour of a new Batman cartoon with a teenage Batman, dubbed Batman Tomorrow and then changed to the more logical and cooler Batman Beyond, it would appear the fanboys were going to be waiting even longer to see their Justice League on the TV. I didn’t really care – I thought Batman Beyond was the balls. It took a dip in quality in season two thanks to the network getting in the way and introducing a horrendously irritating, greatly unneeded sidekick in Max Gibson but great lengths were made to bring the show back to it’s opening season glory in season three – the darker, more character driven stories were back, replacing the high school hijinks.

Towards the latter end of the season, we are introduced to The Justice League Unlimited. We learn through the course of the episode that Superman and Bruce Wayne aren’t don't quite see eye to eye and Wayne is a former member of the Justice League. Being that he was described as never much more than a part-timer, and the fact there’s nothing in his case to commemorate his time there, suggests it didn’t end well (or the fact the crew had no idea they’d be doing a Justice League show with Batman after BB ran it’s course).

[​IMG]

The episode sees Superman invite Batman Beyond to join the JLU, advising the Dark Knight he’d had his eye on him a while. Old Man Wayne is less trusting of the Kryptonian, not so subtlety telling Terry that Micron was recently injured and their ranks had now thinned. Upon arriving at The Watchtower in Metropolis, Superman tells Batman that he needs his help keeping an eye on the League, as he expects one of them is a traitor. After meeting our new League they are quickly called into action to stop a serious of bombs from blowing up the city (sadly a hung over Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson aren’t members of the league here). This is where we first get to see The Green Lantern in action – he’s not given a name, he is simply a small bald man who rarely seems to get annoyed or angry about anything. He reminds me of that little boy from Avatar, only I don’t watch that show, and have no idea what his name is.

Good, pointless comparison there then, Stu.

I’ll be entirely honest – there’s not a lot to Green Lantern here. While Warhawk and Barda are keen to slag McGinness off and Aquagirl is quick to him, The Lantern seems neutral. His costume is pretty cool, but I think all the JLU designs from this show are pretty sweet. While I’m here, Barda shows a lot more personality here than Wonder Woman ever did in any of her animated appearances. WW not being included here was an admission that I was personally thankful off.

What about the episodes themselves then? Well, they made no bloody sense. It’s perhaps the poorest written story in Batman Beyond but in a rather bizarre fashion, it’s one of the most fun. Attempting to analyze only worsens the plot, so don’t bother. Sit back and enjoy.

If you do get time however, be sure to check out the talkbacks for these two particular episodes. That’s probably the most fun I can ever remember having on these DC forums – those were the glory days. God, I love Batman Beyond.

The GL in animation bizarreness doesn’t end there, it just gets funny. Perhaps the most weird DC crossover is Duck DodgersThe Green Loontern. In the episode, my favourite Looney Tunes character, Daffy Duck through a comical mishap at the dry cleaners, manages to get his hands on Hal Jordon’s power ring.

[​IMG]

“Stupid dry cleaner! He gave me the wrong suit! Black vinyl and latex? And a freaky little mask! Who knows what this weirdo’s into?!”

I’ve never seen this Duck Dodgers cartoon before this episode, but Daffy is in his element here. I’ve not watched Looney Tunes since I was a kid, but I was loving this. I’d highly recommend checking it out if you’ve not seen it.

Plus, Kevin Smith plays Hal Jordon. Cool beans.

You were probably expecting me to talk about The Green Lantern a lot in this post weren’t you? Plenty of time for that later!

8. Robert McSantos

Robert McSantos New Member

How do you figure? Last month, Flash was DC's 8th highest selling title, and outsold every single Marvel comic in the same month, including your much praised Daredevil.

Compare that to the last time Mark Waid returned to the comic in 2007, which debuted as the 26th highest selling comic for its respective month and had fallen into 50th place by the time it ended six issues later. Like they say, you can't go home again.

9. Bobbywoodhogan

Cheers for the links Stu

Also on your next post I actually think GL in BB is a young boy and not yet a man cause in Epilogue he appears to be much older and bigger.

10. Stu

Following the traumatic cancellation of Batman Beyond, the producers of that show quickly began pitching a new show to the execs over at Kids WB! In those days, Cartoon Network didn't produce their own programming - they simply reran other shows, some of which were years old and some which fairly new, and managed to find entire new audiences for. However, Kids WB! at the time, was a programming block for kids, and their upper management saw no place for grown men and women in costumes, so a traditional Justice League of America cartoon was not something they sought. Rumour has it, before Batman Beyond was eventually conceived, the network was keen on the idea of Batman training younger members of the Justice League - Hawkman Jr, Aquaman Jr, etc before if eventually spun into Batman in the future, and we got the Batman Beyond show we know and I love.

With Batman Beyond concluded, the idea of a Justice League cartoon was dusted off, and the powers that be advised producer Bruce Timm to pitch it to Kids WB! with a mixture of adult Justice League members and teenagers. After seeing the test footage, they concluded that pitching it to KWB! wasn't the wisest of ideas and Timm managed to get Justice League on CN instead - via a telephone call, with no real pitch, presentation or demo reel. It would seem CN wanted a Justice League show and even better, they had no intention of leaving their finger marks all over it, as KWB eventually did with Batman Beyond. I will spare you a Max rant here...

For more information on... really stupid ideas (Sorry Bruce!) which were rejected before Justice League made it's way on TV, I direct you here.

And with the show greenlit, the question on most Green Lantern fans mind was which version of the character would they use? Hal? Kyle? Daffy Duck? No, they went with John Stewart, who I’m told was a Green Lantern back in the 70’s. The creative team advise that the reasoning behind it was ethnic diversity, and the fact that they though Stewart would fit well in the team’s chemistry. I can't recall a source, so take this with a grain of salt, but I am told Timm was actually a pretty big fan of Stewart back in the day. In relation to the show, however, this caused a continuity problem because Kyle Rayner was the GL in Superman… oh wait, no it doesn’t. They are both Green Lantern now. Simple!

It was announced that after the opening 3 part origin of the team, each story would be 2 episodes long and usually have one of the seven members take center stage. GL appears in Secret Origins around the middle of the second part and… doesn’t really do much of anything. His contribution to the episode is really, really minimal. The only thing worth noting is he dismisses the idea of Princess Diana helping them as they don’t have time to train a rookie… that would be about it. He's shoehorned in there - he literally just shows up in the second act.

[​IMG]

Probably why the first main spotlight episode is about him. In Blackest Night features The Green Lantern hunted by The Manhunters for blowing up a planet – when Stewart arrives he hands over his ring and allows him to be arrested. After much towing and throwing from the League, John admits that he is guilty for blowing up the planet. The two part story problem rears it’s ugly head here – there’s too much padding to a relatively straightforward plot.

The best part of the episode is we get to see more about the Green Lantern Corps – Kilowog being the main highlight. The producers get bonus points for casting Dennis Haysbert, President Palmer himself as the big brute. This episode brings about a potential problem for the show – John Stewart isn’t really presented as being all that interested.

It’s no real secret I’m not fond of this first season of Justice League. I think the pacing of the episodes goes against the nature of the stories they are trying to tell – a lot of it seems to happen so slowly. There’s rarely a great twist to the episodes – everything seems to be by the numbers and the characters rarely extend past their one note. There’s a definite drop in quality from The New Batman/Superman Adventures here – it doesn’t help that besides Batman and the occasional glimpse of greatness from The Flash, none of the League are really very interesting.

Visually, wow. Where to start? The animated is lackluster throughout the season – there’s very few cool shots or visuals in the entire season (save for Aquaman cutting his own hand off and some of the fights in The Savage Time. The designs themselves are very drab – the sharpness of TNB/SA isn’t found here. It’s mainly the fault of the colouring – the creators were new to the digital age and where there’s a slight dip in Batman Beyond from the cel shaded to the digital, in Justice League, the whole thing looks vanilla. Nothing pops – it’s just an eyesore. Everyone noticed too – some of the harshest criticism in all the DCU shows came from the looks of the show.

Green Lantern is one of the worst among the bunch – the plain costume from his Superman appearance is back but again, due to the colouring, it fades on the screen. Stewart’s facial design is nothing to scream about – it’s all very average. The two colour technique from the New Batman Adventures days is gone, but there's nothing in it's place - the Timm style straight against curves philosophy is again applied, but the sharpness lacking, and there's none of the Murakami influence a la Batman Beyond - it looks like someone is trying to recreate Bruce Timm's model magic, but ultimately failed. They got better as the show went on, but I thought they were pretty mediocre at the time and they haven't aged well.

[​IMG]

It was also disappointing to see how poor his powers were visualized – he never did anything cool with the ring. The writers advised this was because he was no-nonsense and razzle dazzle was unbecoming to a man of Stewart's character – it didn’t work for me. It was the same shields and energy beams every bloody time he appeared. Kyle did more crazy stuff with his ring in a single episode that Stewart did all season. There’s nothing especially bad about John in this first season… there’s simply nothing really good about it either. But in all honesty, the same could be said for all the characters. When you have a character who's power is visually exciting as Green Lantern's, why cut it off at it's knees by having someone as straight laced as Stewart wielding it. If you're drawing Spider-Man, you wouldn't have him jogging through Manhatten, you'd have him swing alongside the NYC skyline wouldn't you?

There's not been many positives so far, so let's try and pick things up a bit.

His finest appearance in the season would be Legends, in which he and the league are transported to a world in which The Justice Guild of America are the world’s saviors – the only problem is that GL’s world, the JGA are fictional characters whose adventures he read in comic books as a kid. The best part, GL wise, is the ending as it hints at a romance towards Lantern and Hawkgirl which would play a bigger part in the coming seasons. It’s first hinted that something might be happening in what is probably the sole highlight of War World, in which they bicker in The Watchtower. The rest of that episode suffers from an idiot plot, so let’s move on.

Now is probably as good as time as any to mention the actor behind The Green Lantern – Phil LaMarr. He’s great in the role, as he is in the vast, vast majority of the characters he plays (Gambit and Static Shock are the only real quibbles in a very long and colourful resume). LaMarr explains in one of the DVD features for the show that the deep, gruff voice comes from looking at the design of the character and his huge chest. It works – he adds a lot to the character, especially in this first season. he adds a bit of likability to the role, which was sorely needed - if they'd have cast someone with a boring voice, the character could've been lost completely.

Metamorpho is GL’s next big spotlight and it’s simply terrible. A stupid plot, clichéd characters, poor pacing – it all falls apart. The central character is in no way likable and has absolutely no chemistry with GL – it’s simply best left avoided. The writers have often said that there was a lot more silver age stuff in the first season of JL than the previous Batman and Superman shows, and I'm a lead to believe there was little too much of it in this season. To be blunt, on the compasions scale, Justice League was world's apart from Batman, Superman and Beyond.

As lackluster as season one started, it improved and showed sparks of a good (but not great) show, it kicked up into high gear for it’s three part finale The Savage Time. The reasons for this are many – the plot actually felt worthy of all the time it was allocated, the scope was actually epic and there’s great characterization from all concerned. And unlike all the other episodes (barring Injustice For All of course), this episode had a brilliant villain. Vandal Savage was everything a JL villain should be – ruthless, powerful and nearly unstoppable. The DCU hadn’t seen a villain like this since Darkseid who was thankfully spared from this season (although he would be the ace up their sleeve to get people interested in season two). There’s yet more chemistry between John and Sheyara here as she is forced to leave him behind at the end of part two, to make for a decent cliffhanger.

[​IMG]

In retrospect, things are pretty ho-hum for GL in season one – much as they were for everyone else. Thankfully, things picked up in season two.

11. Bobbywoodhogan

I have to agree Justice League season 1 wasn't very good, looking back on it it was quite boring and don't even get me started on what they did to Superman.

Season two was incredible.

12. Stu

The creative team realized that the show wasn't really living up to the expectations set for it and made great efforts to improve the show. The animation and storyboards improved and there was less Silver Age-y stories here - Justice League got the edge and oomph the first season lacked.

Some of the problems were still present of course - the main one being that all the episodes were still 2 part stories which often slowed the pace down and featured excessive padding, but the stories themselves were a lot better - there are very few bad episodes in the season. In that respect - if you've never seen the show, it's well worth picking up on DVD (probably worth noting I still don't own Justice League season one on disc to this day.)

Green Lantern is absent from the opening Twilight episode, so we'll start with Tabulsa Rasa. AMAZO is a brilliant villain for the league, as the entire team is needed to beat him. With Lex Luthor thrown in the mix, it makes for a great story. I liked it a lot more than Twilight, which I still thought was missing that special spark. However, we're not here to review the episodes themselves, this thread is all about Green Lantern. Sadly, I didn't find this version of The Lantern very interesting. The hard nosed marine doesn't really work as well as I'd have liked. He's completely humourless and again, none of his ring constraints are particularly imaginative - it's the same boring shields and lasers. He doesn'treally have anything special about him - even his friendship with The Flash seems a little forced - I think the main problem was the decision to use Stewart as the Lantern here. I think this is especially more noticeable now after having seen First Flight and the Green Lantern movie, where the Lantern actually appears to have a bit of charisma about him. The saving grace for the Lantern is his relationship with Hawkgirl, it pretty much single-handedly stops him from being a complete washout.

[​IMG]

The season picked up tremendously. The villains increased the stakes and the stories actually felt like it would require an effort to top the villains this time - all too often in season one, I felt like the story would've ended a lot quicker if the characters actually stopped being idiots.

Only A Dream is a great example of this - while it may seen repetitive for the villain to attack each member of the League in their sleep, it works very well. The action is kept hot because of a superlative fight scene involving a prison break out and it continues the season's improved fight scenes - it looked like Solomon Grundy could burst through your TV screen any second now.

Dr. Destiny, the villain of the piece attacks the League's subconscious and picks apart their fears - John's fear is that the ring is taking away his humanity and that one day, the ring will control him, rather than the other way around. It's not as interesting as Flash bypassing everyone with his speed, Superman losing control of his power or Hawkgirl's claustrophobia. It's forgivable, as the episode wasn't his spotlight to hog, but it's a rule that the stories were more interesting than the characters in Justice League season 2 - this would change by the time we got to Justice League Unlimited, in my opinion.

GL is absent from the excellent Maid of Honor, which brings further focus onto the Batman/Wonder Woman dynamic, which in my opinion, out-shined John and Shayera. I say this as a completely biased Batman fan of course, but I found it a lot more interesting. I would mention I have little time for Wonder Woman too - I simply find no interest in her, which I do not exclude to this show - even in the comics, there's not much I like about her. I decided to pass on her solo animated DTV so have no opinion on the same.

GL's next spotlight is Hearts And Minds and ... boy, is it tedious. The entire thing is just boring from start to finish - it does offer an explanation as to Kyle Rayner's wereabouts and tells us that Stewart has actually been a GL longer than Rayner and we do get more of a glimpse at the Green Lantern core, which struck me, as a viewer who had little idea about the GL history, as something that actually looked really cool but was rarely utilized. It's worth mentioning that the series never really gave us full on origins for GL, Flash and Hawkgirl (or Batman, but that makes perfect sense to me - I like the mystique surrounding Batman's early days, but I accept others don't). It seems wasteful on Flash, as he doesn't strike me as a guy that would just go out and fight crime, but I think it would've been interesting to sde straight laced John's reaction to a little blue smurf telling him that he has been chosen as a protector of the universe.

[​IMG]

Following this, we get the best episode of the show, in A Better World. The Story sees an alternate reality version of The Justice League, dubbed The Justice Lords, invade our reality to 'fix' ours like they did theirs. The cast remains the same, although their Flash is no longer alive, which acted as the catalyst for their heel turn, so to speak. They all have really sweet new costumes - Justice Lord GL actually looks a lot cooler than the original costume. There's a little more to the John/Shayera romance here - include withing are an awesome cameo from the inmates of Arkham Asylum and a creepy side appearance from The Joker, who's no longer the laughing nutter we all know and love... which somehow makes him even a little more creepy...

Things finally get moving with John and Hawkgirl in Wild Cards, the penultimate episode of the show as John injuries himself saving Shayera from one of Joker's bombs (that rascal!). After Batman and the League stopped the Joker and his plan to turn everyone who watches TV in a drooling mess and we bid a fond farewell to the DCU Joker, we finally see Hawkgirl without her mask and she and John kiss. The fanboys went wild for this one... it seems almost cruel to them that it would end so badly in the next episode.

Ah, Starcrossed. One can only imagine how cruel life would be if this were to be the final story of Justice League. The story we'd been waiting for since the show began - the scope, the "should've seen it coming but didn't!" twist and the somewhat heartbreaking ending - this story had it all. It was the type of series finale every show should strive for. While I personally consider A Better World to be my favourite episode of JL, one cannot deny the fact that this story is the balls.

The show finally got dumped on it's head - with the League being attacked from within and being hopelessly outmatched by a smarter, more organized group than them which had already exploited their weaknesses and even the coolness of seeing the league out of their costumes - it was an episode that broke most of the molds the show had set for itself and made the story all the better for it.

[​IMG]

For those of you who unfortunately haven't seen the episode, it features the Thanagarians, Hawkgirl's home race arriving on Earth and revealing that Hawkeye was sent here to spy on Earth as our planet was intending to be used in their ongoing against the Gordanians. After initially pretending to be Earth's protectors against the oncoming threat, Batman learns that all it not as it seems and infiltrates their base (in style, with a wink to the old 60's Batman show) and Hawkgirl turns heel on the League. It is revealed that she has been studying the League's weaknesses in preparation for their arrival in a very cool Tower Of Babel substitute. (TOB of course, being your writer's favourite JLA story). With the Thanagarians now imposing martial law on the planet, the League must overcome hopeless odds against a massive enemy - the episode is simply bursting with brilliance - it has everything - scope, massive fight scenes, flirtations, romances, bromances - it outclassed all that came before it.

Green Lantern is very similar to Wonder Woman in Justice League - he seems to be at his most interesting when they focus on his romantic entanglements. If I ever become foolish enough to attempt a Wonder Woman retrospective, prepare yourself for a shrine to her relationship to Batman - it made her infinitely more interesting - she never seemed to be able to be of interest unless in the presence of our dear, disinterested Dark Knight. Without Hawkgirl around... there isn't much to John normally. However, Starcrossed rules apply to this post, so naturally, GL has his best fight of the series against would be Hawkman (who turned out to be far more interesting than the real Hawkman, but more on that later) and MERCY ME! He actually uses his ring constraints to do cool ass stuff for a change!

Alas, the story itself has a somber conclusion. It was necessary for the upcoming Justice League Unlimited cartoon, but John and the show itself would be forever changed by the time JLU came in - most of which was for the better.

13. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

I kinda regret they didn't use John's architect background in this show. I mentioned before how angry I was with the misuse of both Sinestro and Star Sapphire. Mind you, I'm not even a huge GL fan, but I didn't care for or even understand what these two GL villains were doing there. I think even a little dialogue in "In Blackest Night" about Ms. Ferris would've been sufficent to fanboys, whether it angered them or not. Even Sinestro was a lackey, are you kidding me?

I kinda blame Superfriends for his powered down inclusion here, but it made no sense after seeing "In Brightest Day".

14. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

Actually, no, he's not. He's in part 2 of the episode.

15. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

How is the fear of losing your humanity to one of the most powerful weapons in the universe not interesting?

I wish they had acknowledged John being an architect as well.

Of course I'm also in the very small non-existent minority that wishes Hal Jordan had shown up as Parallax, if only to give the League another foe to deal with.

16. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

While John Stewart will never win any contests as the most popular Green Lantern out there, I definitely agree with the creators' desicion to go with him as the Justice League's GL. He was the right one to go with for the role that he played. And like has been said, he added diversity to the cast.

17. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

I didn't know Hawkeye was part of the League there Stu;)

18. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Member

Don't short Hal's history in animation

If you're going to do a retrospective, do it right!

Green Lantern's animated history began with Filmation's The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure which ran on CBS from 1967 to 1968. Hal Jordon as Green Lantern starred in three animated segments (Evil as Evil Does, The Vanishing World, and Sirena Empress of Evil) and shared the spotlight with the rest of the Justice League of America (Superman, Hawkman, Flash and the Atom) in three more shorts (In Between Two Armies, Target Earth, and Bad Day on Black Mountain). The Guardians of Oa made it into the Green Lantern segments (although colored flesh-tone rather tharn blue), but Hal's sidekick, Tom "Pie-Face" Kalmaku, was replaced with a blue-skinned Venusian boy named Kairo.

Although missing from the first season of Hanna-Barbera's Super Friends (1973-1974) Hal's animated adventures continued on ABC from 1977 to 1986 starting with 1977's The All-New Super Friends Hour.

19. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

This forum specifically cover DC Animation since the 90's. So, considering he's sticking by the guidelines of this forum and the World's Finest website, he's doing it right.

20. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Member

Technicalities

Just for the sake of completeness, if nothing else, I think that GL's pre-DCAU animation should have been touched upon. They do represent Hal's first mass exposure outside of the comics medium, after all.