1. Enter to win a "Kubo and the Two Strings" prize pack! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Good, the Bad, and Huckleberry Hound" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Kolbar, Jan 7, 2007.

?

Rate "The Good, the Bad, and Huckleberry Hound"

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kolbar

Kolbar @Cinecrisis on Twitter

[​IMG]

Release Date: 1988
    Studio: Hanna-Barbera
    Directors: Bob Goe, John Kimball
    Starring: Daws Butler, Charles Adler, Don Messick, Howard Morris, Pat Buttram

Plot Summary: During the California gold rush of 1849, Huckleberry Hound — referred to throughout the picture as a "mysterious, steely-eyed, and silent-type stranger" — rides west on his “faithful horsie” to start a small pig-and-goat farm. His journey takes him to the small western town of Two-Bit, California, where Hokey Wolf is the mayor; Snagglepuss plays the piano and entertains the customers in Rusty Nails’ Saloon; Quick Draw McGraw and Baba Looey run the bank; and Yogi Bear and Boo Boo, who’ve run away from Jellystone Park, live on handouts. Two-Bit is being terrorized by the outlaw Dalton Brothers. Their leader, Stinky Dalton, has been caught and imprisoned, but the three remaining brothers — Dinky, Finky, and Pinky — are robbing and bullying everyone they come across.

Comments?

Boomerang airs this movie today at 3:30pm right after "Rockin' With Judy Jetson."

2. Gary L Thompson

Gary L Thompson Active Member

Wish I could see Boomerang. I'd be curious to see this one, sounds it would be right up Huck's alley, but HB's quality in that era was pretty much hit & miss at best.

I would have figured Quick Draw & Babba Looey to be the sheriff and deputy (if there wasn't one, who arrested Stinky Dalton?), unless it were Ricochet Rabbit and Droopalong. Given they aren't mentioned, I would guess not (pity for an HB western, while Ricochet was from the later Walley Gator/Magilla/Sinbad generation, he should have been in a story like this).

3. Eric Brown

Eric Brown Member

Long time no see

I finally took the time to rewatch this movie. I had not seen it since I taped it in 1988. I had remembered it as a rather dull entry. After I reviewed it this time, I gave it a few more points for imagination. I see that Tom Rueger (now of WB fame) was the co-writer. Andrea Romano aslo had a hand in this one. The animation was still unimpressive (Wang Studios). The story seemed to drag out. Daws Butler's Huck voice just wasn't right. It had a higher pitch. His Yogi, Snagglepuss, and Quick Draw were right on. I have a feeling this was the last one he did. Some of the backround music kept reminding me of the lead-in music to "Dasterdly and Muttly and their Flying Machines". There were a few recogniseable recycled gags from other cartoons.

What did I like? The use of title cards to introduce each sequence did break up the boredom, some what. The romance between Huck and Desert Flower was a nice touch. The "Rusty Saloon Song" and "Gold, Gold, Gold" song were also a bit above par (both writen by Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera). I gave this movie a 2 1/2 rating on the poll.

THANX