"The Gifted" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I personally love the moment and it might have been my actual favorite thing in the episode. When the blood started gushing, I was like "Here we go." This is the point in genre where the Black Savior dies on the operating table with the people he either got shot for, or love the person he got shot for, unable to do a damn thing but bask in his heroic selflessness, with tears streaming down their faces that it's coincidentally the black guy who always suffers for their righteousness. And then Lauren's all like "Lemme try something" and suddenly and for the first time ever, the Dead Black Savior is no longer dead. Because they have super doctor powers now. How awesome is that?

• Like Like x 2
  2. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

It's helpful to watch this show with closed captioning to identify mutants before they use their powers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Nice reveal the X-men picked Thunderbird to lead the Underground because they knew this 'war' was coming before they vanished.

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Gifted “got your siX”

I kind of feel that the conflict felt a bit heavy handed and forced, particularly the stuff in the truck with Andy and Reed. But conflict in X-Men projects often feels contrived. I just assumed because it hadn’t happened on this show before, that it would never happen. Apparently the sermonizing affects even the good X-Men stuff.

I think Polaris is the worst leader ever. I don’t know. “You’ll always be fighting. This is survival, and this is the new normal,” does not strike me as an empowering message for a leader to give. Frankly, Magneto was better at this. Magneto always promised victory, light at the end of the tunnel, and the idea that the Mutants would win and crush humanity, and it would all be worth it. That strikes me as a far more appealing message than “It will never be worth it.” But maybe that’s just me.

I noticed they went back to the idea that Reed was always the shoe in Monopoly. People who watch superhero shows don’t notice or care about those kinds of things, but as someone who is only interested in the character drama, I kind of got the feeling the family was finally whole again entirely from that. Which makes it a good call-back.

Good riddance to Blink. She was NOT pulling her weight. They can do without her.

The fact that the Mutants on this show can use their powers in unexpected ways either solo, or with each other (such as Eclipse darkening the inside of the truck, or Lauren and her new boyfriend making the truck fly while camouflaging it) makes me truly comprehend exactly how inadequate Heroes was for five seasons with the same premise. This is episode 6. NONE of the Evos on Heroes ever worked this well together. And I’m starting to think that is a shame. Tim Kring sucks.

Who is Thunderbird’s father? Didn’t get that reference.

This was a little too much “He’s a mutie! A MUTIE!” to me. **1/2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

The genre has come a long way since Heroes. It played its part.

6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Gifted "eXtreme measures"

Mostly favorable impression.

I like what hot water Eclipse is in with Polaris. Because if the situation was different, they could just break up. But they can't. They live close quarters in a shelter with each other, and work together, and are expecting a baby together to boot. Polaris does not have the luxury of dumping him. They are going to have to figure out a way to live with and deal with his crappy decisions. There isn't much other choice.

I think giving the Senator the stroke was so stupid and outright badly written. Let's say that the plan to do that actually DID work. Wouldn't it have been easier and raised less suspicion to not give her the stroke in the middle of the conference where she is forbidding government interference to this extent? Because even if I hadn't seen the guy in the corner squeezing his fist, my first thought upon seeing that would be "foul play". No question. Turner might not have even questioned a stroke if it had happened earlier in the day, and not in front of a ton of witnesses while she was the stalling the very program that the stroke givers wanted to proceed. I think the writers did it to make a statement about how scary the guys Turner is working with are. Instead, I think they are sloppy. Their theatricality is going to get them caught. It's not sinister, it's stupid.

I was less surprised that Wes was a criminal, and more surprised that he admitted it to Lauren. He did NOT have to do that. She would have believed him if he had denied it, so it was perhaps in his best interest to lie. Except, it seems like he actually cares about her, so he doesn't want to do that.

Blink is one of those characters who always works my last nerve, but I'm hoping that changes next week. When she said that this is her fight now, as bad as I felt for those Mutant kids who died, at least they finally got Blink to give a damn. It's been a long time coming, and the character will be better off for it.

Trask huh? That's a bad guy name for sure. If Reed's father worked for them, his father is probably garbage.

Good week. ****.

#26 Fone Bone, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017 at 11:52 AM
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, the scene with the senator getting the stroke was cliche, they just wanted to get the wheels spinning in Jace's head about who he jumped in bed with but didn't out much thought into the execution.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

New The Gifted! Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on FOX.

[​IMG]
    "threat of eXtinction"
    Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on FOX
    The Mutant Underground receives more refugees, but problems arise when a spy for Sentinel Services is found among them.

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Gifted "threat of eXtinction"

I did not see Grandpa Strucker being a Mutant coming. It's really good for one reason. The previews showed the character telling Reed to protect the world from Andy and Lauren. Now, if he's a human Trask Industries company man, that line is merely trailer bait, and I have about as much to worry about as Luke Skywalker turning evil in the Original Trilogy. But if he's a Mutant, who has seen what those specific powers can do, suddenly I take the dire warning very seriously. It turns out Caitlin is worried that she and Reed will wind up on different sides of the Mutant War than their children. Maybe they will. But it's possible Andy and Lauren will become SUCH a threat, that Caitlin and Reed will be staying in the Mutant Underground simply to have a chance of stopping them without killing them. This is all theoretical at this point. But the warning from the preview is far more credible coming from a Mutant instead of a human turncoat.

I have mentioned that I love how the Mutants on this show use their powers together in interesting ways. Well, it turns out, if it's not Andy and Lauren trying to figure stuff out, the old hat Mutant Underground will do it too... without the producers feeling the need to explain what is happening to the audience. We are trusted and expected to keep up with it on our own. And as fast and confusing as Eclipse and Blink's scene with Chloe was, I love that the producers didn't spoonfeed it to me either.

Frankly, this show uses specials Powers together better than any MCU project, including Captain America: Civil War, where that should have happened a LOT. Hell, the X-Men movies don't tend to do a lot of power combos either, so it's especially impressive that this show does it on a TV budget.

This show is getting really good. ****1/2.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes. This episode was a nice reward to fans and addressed the Strucker surname, as well as filling out the canon in this show. Reed finding out about his father being a mutant, working for Trask to get rid of the gene, suppressing his gene, Fenris -- I'd be stuttering like him, too. Now that this brother-sister super power's been revealed, I can only wonder if it's somehow connected to the Dallas incident or is a red herring and they're going to be separate things. Though I can see them totally blowing up a lab or prison related to Sentinel Services but only makes things worse for the mutants in the eyes of the public.

• Like Like x 1