1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Gifted" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 2, 2017.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on FOX, from the world of X-Men, comes The Gifted!

'Like' The Gifted on Facebook
    'Follow' The Gifted on Twitter

[​IMG]
    Family adventure series THE GIFTED, from 20th Century Fox Television in association with Marvel Television, tells the story of a suburban couple whose ordinary lives are rocked by the sudden discovery that their children possess mutant powers. Forced to go on the run from a hostile government, the family joins up with an underground network of mutants and must fight to survive. Written by Matt Nix (APB, “Burn Notice”), directed by Bryan Singer (the “X-Men” franchise”) and executive-produced by Nix, Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner (“X-Men: Apocalypse,” “X-Men: Days of Future Past,” “The Wolverine”), Simon Kinberg (“X-Men: Apocalypse,” “X-Men: Days of Future Past”), Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Daredevil,” “Marvel’s Jessica Jones”) and Jim Chory (“Marvel’s Daredevil,” “Marvel’s Jessica Jones”), the series stars Stephen Moyer (SHOTS FIRED), Amy Acker (“Person of Interest”), Sean Teale (“Reign”), Jamie Chung (GOTHAM), Coby Bell (“Burn Notice”), Emma Dumont (“Aquarius”), Blair Redford (“Satisfaction”), Natalie Alyn Lind (GOTHAM) and Percy Hynes White (“Night at the Museum 3”).

Tonight's episode...

"eXposed" - Series Premiere

Monday, October 2, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on FOX
    A suburban couple is forced to flee from a hostile government after their teenage children begin to show they possess certain powers.

FOX.com/TheGifted

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Marcos' ringtone is the TAS theme. That was an awesome little Easter egg.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Gifted "eXposed"

Legion was such an interesting show because it completed subverted your expectations about what an X-Men series could be. It was the first superhero project I've seen that was structured like an indie art film. The Gifted is much more traditional, and in line with the rest of the X-Men universe. Unfortunately, that automatically means it is less interesting. On the plus side, it is also not off-putting at all, which is something Legion often was. Part of me regrets that this series is exactly what we've come to expect about the franchise, but you won't have an extended reaction shot on a guy drooling in a mental hospital, or a nightmarish version of Aubrey Plaza with hairy armpits. And that's the trade-off, and one I perfectly comfortable making.

The Struckers seem to be based on several different Marvel characters. Am I wrong in thinking it's actually the Trasks with the Mutants in their families? It could have been the Strykers, but I'm not sure. The Struckers are the evil German family Captain America in the comics. They seem to be a combo of all of these, and none of these at once. What interests me about them is that Reed does not appear to be a bad guy at all, which makes me question why he is in such a horrible line of work. It's like the X-Universe has gotten so bad, so fast, that totalitarianism and a total loss of freedom and civil liberties, is no longer considered abnormal. And I like that message for today. This instantly bring up parallels to the Muslim Travel ban, and the mass deportations going on in this country. One of my biggest beefs with the X-Men premise (and this goes especially for the 90's cartoon series) is that once equality and tolerance became more acceptable and mainstream in real-life, the civil rights allegory of the series became not only a bit dated, but less relevent to modern times, or at least how people would like to believe modern society had progressed. What is great about this show is that it doesn't even need to do the explicit racial allegory to show the cops and the government are out of control.

This clearly takes place in the original film series timeline, which suggests to me the bad end of Days Of Future Past is an inevitability. I kind of hope that this show basically leads up to that movie, and the last episode shows everything resetting once Wolverine fixed the Timeline. I'd like to see what happens to these characters once the Timeline isn't so warped. The entire premise of the show is built on the idea that this particular timeline is going to be completely erased. And that actually seems kind of cool to me. I kind of what to see how things now actually shook out.

Terrible Stan Lee cameo. They didn't even try there.

I love that the guy's ring tone was the 90's X-Men Theme Song. That right there is only something a nerd would get. I love it.

This is not a great episode, and this will probably not be a great show. But it will probably be an enjoyable one, and one I won't wind up feeling guilty for enjoying. That's good enough for me. ****.

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Agreed, definitely in line with a precursor to DoFP. Nice to see them return to the basic themes of the X-Men franchise with real world social commentaries, morality, trust and so on.

Kind of creepy how almost seamlessly that drones of today became those Sentinel Services spiders.

The disappearance of the X-Men and the Brotherhood is intriguing. Maybe someone's power went out of control and teleported them somewhere or some alien like Mojo kidnapped them. I guess whatever happened to them made the world afraid and led to the remaining mutants being hunted.

Maybe my patience has dropped as I get older, but I hope they drop the bickering siblings trope real fast. Only other thing a bit over the top was Andy going all Carrie.

5. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Comics wise, I haven't been emotionally invested in the X-Men in years. I tried Legion, and wasn't impressed. The Gifted is a short-season series (10 episodes), and I can take it or leave it.

Like Fone Bone, I associate the Strucker family with Captain America, but remember too that Baron Strucker had a pair of mutant twins (Fenris) in the books about 20 or so years ago, and Lauren & Andy are meant to be their diametric opposites. The basic plot sounds like another Fugitive knockoff. Seeing as how the show I do want to watch on Mondays starts its new season this week (Supergirl), I will either watch this online or On Demand going forward, if at all.

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked the moments of family bonding in this pilot. Maybe it's due to how much I love my own family or the idea of family that I have in my head but I'm a real sappy sucker for stuff like that. I get a little burned out on all X-Men media having to constantly be about the mutant plight but this is at least an angle that I don't recall them using before. Personally, it was refreshing seeing the family not hesitate to protect each other or throwing away the lives they had before to do so. On the other hand, the quiet moments when the kids would start bickering or fighting did get pretty annoying.

The show's tense moments were handled pretty well, in my opinion. I also think they did a good job with effects for the powers like Blink's portals. I like that they use familiar Mutants, to longtime fans, as the main faces of the resistance and hopefully, they will develop them strongly as the show continues. They're still feeling kind of unknown by the end of the pilot. I get a little peeved when they create original characters/composites like Eclipse instead of using one of the hundreds of characters at their disposal though I'm not opposed to the actor or anything.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

8. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

New episode tonight at 9 p.m. ET on FOX. If you're not a "streamer" the first two episodes will air on FX this Saturday night starting at 11 ET.

[​IMG]
    "rX"
    Monday, October 9, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on FOX
    Blink is sent into a state of shock after she overexerts her power, which forces Caitlin and Eclipse to embark on a mission to locate a serum to help her.

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Gifted “rX”

It is a rare show where the second episode is better than the Pilot. This is one of those rare shows.

I kind of like all of the different aspects of the Mutant problem the show explored. Frankly, the movies could not dive completely into this with any degree of nuance, because they had only two hours to work with. A TV show can explore the actual politics of the scenario in a Post 11/9 World, that a movie could never hope to do. Plus, you have to remember, even if the comics were on the right side of the social justice allegory, that doesn’t mean about half of the people watching the movies don’t have a completely different perspective about the Civil Rights Movement. Singer might not have pushed things as far as they could have gone, in order to not offend flyover country.

TV isn’t based on ticket sales, but ratings. And controversy and buzz, which are often bad for ticket sales, are great for ratings. The show can actually get political without worrying about offending the wrong people. Because if the wrong people are offended, they are going to talk about the show, and even negative troll buzz is still buzz, which is good for the show. It is why you can often see openly partisan plotlines on big budget genre show, you will never see in big budget genre movies.

What drives me crazy is that this is all stuff that freaking LEGION should have been exploring! Legion is a great show, and it’s pretty much a superhero project as reimagined as an indie art film. But you’d think they’d say the word “Mutant” a LOT more than they do, especially if they finally have enough time to explore the concept. Legion is doing other funky, eclectic stuff, but what may be better for an artsy fartsy FX TV show, is probably not better for an adaptation of an X-Men comic. And that’s my opinion about that.

But I think the thing I love most about the show’s politics is that it isn’t cut and dry to me. Yeah, the government are pretty much monsters, and nobody in society is standing up when they should. The Sentinel story is the ultimate allegory for “First they came for the...”. But... As the guy said, it doesn’t ultimately matter whether it was a good Mutant or a bad Mutant that actually set off the electrical blast that killed his 7 year old daughter. He don’t care anymore, and I sort of don’t see why he should. But he’s still clearly a bad guy, even if he has good reasons for being a bad guy. What bothers me is that Reed used to be just as dirty as he was. What is Reed’s good reason for being in this monstrosity of an organization?

I love that the empathetic seeming doctor calls the police after he treats Eclipse. Caitlin seems to be extremely put out by the suggestion that Mutants can be more violent than normal people, because, hey, that’s her kids! But that’s profiling in a nutshell, and I don’t think she understood what it was, why it was wrong, or even that it existed before this happened. I especially love that the doctor who offers this perspective is black. There apparently is no real irony there in The X-Men Universe, as he would have been punished for it in most genre doing the same “black human racist towards non-humans” trope, but even if the characters on the show don’t think it’s jarring, the audience at home might. At least I did. You don’t usually hear black people arguing that Trayvon Martin seemed violent. And that’s one of the interesting things about the premise. And it pushes the right buttons by doing that.

When that female prisoner punched a pregnant Polaris in the stomach, I was like, “This Universe sucks.” Wolverine cannot erase it fast enough.

This was a fantastic episode. I loved it. *****.

10. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I feel like this show is set in a third timeline; where the X-Men and Brotherhood 'disappeared' from this reality in the 90s. (Reed said he was a prosecutor for 20 years.)

One of the showrunners already said that it was a whole new timeline, so I doubt it's set before the DoFP future, personally. That would be pointless for a number of reasons, particularly, why make a show about events that the audience knows for a fact it doesn't exist anymore.

Maybe this means that the events of Logan or the eradication of the mutant gene in the 2000s never happen? I hope they keep the 'disappearance' vague.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Interesting... so the ending implies the Struckers are indeed relatives of the Fenris twins who were active in the 60s.

12. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Gifted is on now!

[​IMG]
    "eXodus"
    Monday, October 16, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on FOX
    In an effort to reunite with one another, Reed cuts a deal with the Sentinel Services and Caitlin and the kids seek help from someone outside the compound.

13. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Gifted "eXodus"

Chuck from Swim Team sucks. He acts like he's concerned about the danger to the neighborhood, but in reality he wants that 300 Grand reward. Caitlin is learning very quickly that all of her friends are terrible people. It's like finding out all your best friends voted for Trump.

Danny's son is useless too, and doesn't get how serious this is.

I cannot believe upon that beautiful Aurora Borealis moment, Eclipse tells Lorna she's more beautiful than it. Cheese, what a line. They JUST met. It's appalling that it works.

I like Turner telling Reed that the leg brace doesn't come off unless you remove the foot. He wouldn't normally tell him that, but there was a guy... Funny moment.

I love Reed's shock upon the look of fear the mother and the young girl in the van gave him. You can tell in that instant he realized this is what his kids have to live with every day.

Not as good as the first two weeks. ***1/2.