1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The General "Computer Issues" Thread

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Hanshotfirst1138, Mar 11, 2009.

1. En Sabah Nur

En Sabah Nur Apocalypse, The First One

what is low? Memory (RAM) or Storage (HDD space)? Explain what you mean by 'I only have 257 Mb and 9.99 GB". is that HDD space?

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Can you buy this compressed air at Walmart, or do you have to go to specialty computer stores?

3. The Irishman

The Irishman Tall. Irish. Animation Anomaly

Not too sure about Wal-Mart, but any office supply shop (Staples, etc.) will definitely have them.

4. En Sabah Nur

CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Staples, Duane Reade, OfficeMax, Radio Shack, Best Buy, PC Richard & Son, any stationary store, any computer store, most electronic stores. And yes, most lilely Walmart as well.

5. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

By the way, when using compressed air on your fans, make sure to hold the fan blades still. Otherwise the air can cause your fans to spin faster (or in the wrong direction) than they were designed for, causing unnecessary wear and tear.

6. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

This isn't a PC hardware issue, but rather an internet related issue. Maybe you people will know. I am getting web hosting for my website, and I need to know what the real difference between Linux and Windows type is. I'm leaning toward Linux, simply because it is cheaper. I don't use frontpage or any of those microsoft programs (other than notepad) to edit my site. You can call it cheating, but I have a premade layout that uses css. Is that okay for Linux hosting?

7. En Sabah Nur

Linux is preferred for web hosting and servers.

8. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

This might sound a bit strange, but I was recently using Firefox while operating it in Safe Mode. Now that I have resumed using the regular browser, for some reason, when I used to type anything into the text URL bar, if it was something specific (TOON ZONE FORUM, for example, or YAHOO, etc.), it would take me straight there. Now, for some reason, it jumps to a Windows Live Search of the actual web. This doesn't actually affect operations or anything, but it is annoying the heck out of me, and I was wondering if I could tweak it.

9. En Sabah Nur

what do you mean by a "regular browser"? you should be using firefox all the time. And if you mean IE, than yes, thats what it does, unless you put an actual url, it gives you msn search, unlike firefox awesome bar that brings you to a page from a simple keyword.

10. Hanshotfirst1138

Regular browser meaning Firefox again. But for some reason, it's doing what IE does instead using said awesome bar the way that it should (and used to). The most logical conclusion that I can come to is that I somehow I set MSN search as my default search, and need to change it back. Strangely, the Google search bar is over in the corner, which lends credence to my belief :p.

Also, while I'm at it, I've manage to get my printer working again, albeit tenuously. But for some reason, instead of printing the way that it used to by printing the page first and stacking up to the first, it print the first page first and I have to reorder all of them myself. I conjecture that that there is some way I can change this in the settings menu?

11. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

If you are using word, there is an option in Tools>Options>Print>"Reverse Print Order" that will help you, but I don't know about other programs. Is this a printer specific setting? I know mine doesn't do that.

12. Hanshotfirst1138

Well, that's the strange part. It didn't used to do that. A while ago, my printer went dead because of a weird C++ error (I detailed it earlier in the thread; the message still comes up, but the printer worked again when my dad update, of all things, IE), and now that it's working again, it's still behaving erratically. Even if that does fix the problem in Word, I wonder if it will when I try to print pages online...

EDIT: It did not...

13. Rook

Rook On the high edge of freedom

XFX Geforce 8600 GT video card 1 year and change.

Problem: Busted Capacitors.

Now I am sitting on whether or not I have it replaced on make an attempted to do some soldering.

Any reason why the caps would have blown?
    Would turning off the computer and leaving the power supply still on do it?
    Force shutdown surge?

14. En Sabah Nur

Force shutdown would do it, faulty power supply connectors would do it, faulty power supply regulation would do it, static surge would to it, electrical surge would do it. Pick One.

15. Flame Alchemist

Flame Alchemist Benjo wa doko desu ka

I'm assuming you already tried uninstalling and re-installing Firefox? And doing the same with your printer? :shrug:

16. Hanshotfirst1138

OK, I just uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and it still uses Windows Live Search in place of the keyword bar. What the heck?!

I have now tried with both.

17. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

Check to see if you have any add-ons that would interfere with your bar.

18. Hanshotfirst1138

Doesn't look like it...

19. Flame Alchemist

Flame Alchemist Benjo wa doko desu ka

Try this:

I found it on some blog and when do all those steps, when you type something into the address bar of Firefox, it'll automatically go to the page you go to when you type something into Google and click "I'm Feeling Lucky".

Did you install any Windows Live software recently? That could be the cause of it.

EDIT: Remember to get the full URL I posted, and not the shortened one that shows up.

20. Hanshotfirst1138

Before I go any further:

What's this about how it might void my warranty?!

Actually, I get keyword.url AND keyword.enabled.

I ran Windows Update, so I may well have installed Windows Live Software. Why would that affect Firefox?

EDIT: I have three Firefox icons on the desktop that I cannot seem to delete. I am given the message "Cannot delete file cannot read from the source file or disk. WTH?

#100 Hanshotfirst1138, May 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009