1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The General "Computer Issues" Thread

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Hanshotfirst1138, Mar 11, 2009.

1. En Sabah Nur

En Sabah Nur Apocalypse, The First One

No Problem, in these cases it is usually optical media that is at fault.

2. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

Could somebody give me a slight overview on how to install a usb mouse to my laptop? My dad gave me one 2 hrs. ago & I'm totally blanking.

3. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

The Plug and Play in the OS should just accept it. Mine did, and I was using a USB adapter with a regular mouse connector.

4. PowerZord

PowerZord It's time to change.

New problem(well.. Old problem which I haven't found solution) Sometimes when My windows vista starts up and I log on into the desktop it freezes to the point where the clock stays frozen as well. I disabled most of the start up programs and yet I still get this problem if I move the mouse too soon or sometimes I just get it randomly. it doesn't happen in Safe Mode.

5. En Sabah Nur

most usb mouses should install automarically, some might need to install a cd that came with the mouse, its that simple.

6. En Sabah Nur

have you tried system restore before this problem started hqppening? there is defenetly a software that is having problems booting on start up, but if you cant find wich, that might be a problem. Go into run and type msconfig, go into Servises and disable anything that isnt microsoft or Windows, and see if the problem starts again. if not, try to isolate the offending service by turning the processes on one at a time until you stumble onto the offending service.

7. Novapocalypse

Novapocalypse Active Member

I am having a pop-up problem. I have no idea why. My pop-up blocker is on, yet I am still getting several.

Any suggestions?

8. En Sabah Nur

You probably got a spyware/malware/trackware/adware installed somehow. What browser do you use? if firefox, do you have Adblock Plus extention installed?

9. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I updated my C++ software six ways to Sunday, and still no luck with the printer. I did indeed attempt to uninstall the CD and DVD drives, which worked, but now I don't know what do :sweat:. I mean, I couldn't technically reinstall them, could I?

10. En Sabah Nur

when you uninstal the drives from your device manager, all you have to do is restart your PC and windows will automatically reinstal them on start up. That's if there are no registry keys blocking them from being visible. I had a problem that after I installed one software, it would install upperFilters and my drives were not visible until I deleted the offending registry keys.

11. Yusuke Urameshi

Alright, new problem! woo

I've been thinking about cleaning out my vista and downloading AVG antivirus, and I called a computer cleaning company to ask how much it would cost to clean out my whole computer, and it costs about 60$...but couldnt I just re-fresh my computer by doing a system re-boot, and then downloading AVG online for free?

or would paying 60$ make something "special" happen?

12. En Sabah Nur

Ok define "cleaning" and what is this special "company" that does this "cleaning" service? What do you mean by "re-fresh and re-boot"? reboot means to restart a PC. Im sure you dont mean that. Are you talking about formating the PC? there is no special company that does that. You can do it fro the comfort of your own home with some simple tools. But you need to know what you are doing first. If you dont, take it to someone who does. Depending on what PC you have some like HP have a recovery partition, that you can use to put your PC to a manufacturer default state, to make it just like it was when you bought it. All PCs come with System Restore (that you have to do in Safe Mode) to revert your PC to an earlier date without looking your personal files.

13. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

Yeah, turns out I was worried over nothing. :)sweat:)
    Thanks for that, though.

14. Hanshotfirst1138

No luck uninstalling them and restarting, even after a virus scan. I am officially perplexed.

15. En Sabah Nur

did you try deleting the said registry keys?

16. PowerZord

PowerZord It's time to change.

For reasons unknown to me System restore doesn't work it always fails.. dunno why. and this problem is being happening since little after I installed AVG and MSN 9,.0 I disabled both, and most of the non essential start ups, and yet if I touch it too soon or if I boot with my SD card on after a reboot it locks up.:sad:

This doesn't happen in safe mode.. so Maybe I should disable one by one

17. En Sabah Nur

System Restore works in safe mode only. And yea use msconfig to try and find out which process is at fault.

18. I.D.Will19??

I.D.Will19?? Member

Zlob.trojan

It has latched itself onto my computer a few days ago, and I can't get rid of it. The first three days were very hectic because WinAntiVirus 2008 also made its way on my computer, too. I successfully deleted it after a few days. Zlob, on the other hand, just keeps popping back up no matter what I do. The good news is that I know the location of the Zlob (thanks to Spyhunter). The problem is that no matter how many times I delete the registry keys they keep coming back (all five of them).

QuickHeal (free trial version) works since it has blocked/quarantined/repaired files the entire time I've had it. Time is running short though because the trial is coming to an end next week.

19. Hanshotfirst1138

Where are they?

20. En Sabah Nur

its all in the link i gave before.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060